Forum

Full Version: [Samba] Slow transferrate compared to OpenElec
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I freshly installed Alpha 5 today but I still have the same "problems" as i experienced running Alpha 4. The transferrate of Samba is very slow compared to OpenElec. At top it speed is like 300kb/s while with OpenElec the top is 1300kb/s.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Because this is quiet annoying and Xbian isn't an option for me if I cannot fix this. You're help is appreciated :-)
Hi, could you give us more details:
> is that speed while reading or writing?
> What source are you transferring from, XBian SD Card, or external Hard Drive (if external hdd, what type is it, NFTS, FAT, EXT(2,3,4))

When comparing with OpenElec did you use the same file?
(23rd Feb, 2013 04:59 AM)xraxor Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, could you give us more details:
> is that speed while reading or writing?
> What source are you transferring from, XBian SD Card, or external Hard Drive (if external hdd, what type is it, NFTS, FAT, EXT(2,3,4))

When comparing with OpenElec did you use the same file?

It is while writing to an external USB drive (NTFS) connected to my raspberry.

The setup and files are the same in my test with Xbian and Openelec. Other traffic on the network cannot be the issue because i tested it directly after my test on the Openelec installation.
I use a extrnal hdd ext4 formatted. writting a 2.00gb file at 950KB/s using Windows Explorer through samba share. but i have other services running.

Maybe thats a problem, im not sure. in any case it should be the same speed as OE.
Maybe Curlymo can have a look at it. Guess he is the expert Big Grin
USB HDD, ext4, samba, more than 2MB/s over wifi.
I tried an other USB disk formatted as ext4 and the speed is better. Around the same speed xraxor experiences. 950kb/s. But it it still slower than OE + NTFS.

Really strange. I expected the speeds to be the same. A couple of weeks back I used Raspbmc and if I remember correctly the speed was almost the same as with OE. So only Xbian is slower :-(
I have also noticed extremely slow transfers over SMB. I was copying 300MB (the .xbmc folder) and it took about 6 minutes to transfer. I am used to gigabit speeds, but this seems to be entirely too slow even for the Pi's 100MBit ethernet.
Can you check this thread: http://forum.xbian.org/thread-512.html
Reference URL's