Forum

Full Version: Cron in alpha 5?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, does anyone know if cron is enabled by default in alpha 5? It used to be listed as a service in xbian-config, but it's not in the new version. I've tried crontab - e, but the script named in crontab doesn't run at the listed time. I've set the time and locale correctly and the date command is showing what I'd expect. Any ideas?
Yes cron just works, if you want to see it in xbian-config just manually add it by selecting the "..." on the bottom of the list.
Maybe you need to restart cron after you edited it.
Thanks for the confirmation, that's helpful.

It is indeed working for me, but only when running at intervals (e.g. */1) but not at specified times, so I think there must be a time zone problem on my pi. Will look into it and report back in case other people are having the same problem.
Ok, fixed. Had to edit /etc/timezone and change it to Europe/London.
You can also change the timezone from within xbian-config
(26th Feb, 2013 07:13 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]You can also change the timezone from within xbian-config

Yes, thanks, had already done that, but was set to etc/UTC in /etc/timezone (which I think should be the same as GMT anyway, but I'm never quite sure with timezones...). Does xbian-config set the timezone to /etc/timezone or to somewhere else? The setting had 'stuck' correctly in xbian-config, btw.

Anyway, perhaps timezone is not the issue, as the problem was back after a reboot.

Code:
sudo service cron restart

made everything work, even though timezone is set correctly, and stays set correctly through a reboot. I'll just manually restart cron after reboots, no biggie.
(26th Feb, 2013 08:08 AM)angriest Wrote: [ -> ]I'll just manually restart cron after reboots, no biggie.

Does perhaps...
Terminal
nano /etc/rc.local
...help to avoid manual restarts? You could try to put the restart command in here, so that it gets executed at start.
(26th Feb, 2013 04:43 PM)namtih Wrote: [ -> ]
(26th Feb, 2013 08:08 AM)angriest Wrote: [ -> ]I'll just manually restart cron after reboots, no biggie.

Does perhaps...
Terminal
nano /etc/rc.local
...help to avoid manual restarts? You could try to put the restart command in here, so that it gets executed at start.

Thanks, good call. That seems to work for me.
Reference URL's