Forum

Full Version: How to activate CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What I miss on my rpi with xbian is response to ctrl-alt-backspace.
I tried to use dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration but unfortunately
the usual option which lets you configure ctrl-alt-backspace is not presented. Does someone here now how to do it?
The reason I want it is for those times I did not take note of the ip-address and the rpi hangs, the only thing I can do then is remove the power but this can lead to file system corruption, ctrl-alt-back space could give me the choice to properly halt the system without damage.

thanks in advance
hugo
How should keyboard interaction work if the RPi hangs?
(28th Feb, 2013 05:26 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]How should keyboard interaction work if the RPi hangs?
When a linux system hangs, depending on how bad the situation is two things you sometimes can do is: log in remotely but then you need to know what ip-number the system has or stop the gui via ctrl-alt-backspace and halt the system from the command prompt, I suppose the rpi is not different concerning this matter.

regards,
hugo
I believe Raspbian did attach key combinations with a program called triggerhappy, maybe you should look at that. Let us know when you found it.
(28th Feb, 2013 06:19 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Raspbian did attach key combinations with a program called triggerhappy, maybe you should look at that. Let us know when you found it.

I tried first to edit /etc/default/keyboard with the following line:
XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
unfortunately this didn't work

then I installed:
dpkg -i triggerhappy_0.3.4-2_armhf

however I don't know how to make triggerhappy use ctrl-alt-bksp

someone here any idea how?

thanks in advance
hugo
(28th Feb, 2013 10:23 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]This is how they do it in raspi-config:
https://github.com/asb/raspi-config/blob/master/raspi-config#L277

I suppose you are pointing to this line:
thd --dump /dev/input/event* | grep -q "LEFTSHIFT\|RIGHTSHIFT"

unfortunately I don't know how to make the system recognize
ctrl-alt-bksp from this info :-(

hugo
My knowledge of triggerhappy is as much as yours. I only knew it was used in that file. Just do some research and experimentation.
(1st Mar, 2013 05:02 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]My knowledge of triggerhappy is as much as yours. I only knew it was used in that file. Just do some research and experimentation.

I tried /etc/init.d/triggerhappy start
then looked what would ctrl-alt-bksp would produce using thd --dump /dev/input/event* but nothing comes out of it unfortunately...

regards,
hugo
Reference URL's