Forum

Full Version: Samsung LE32C650 DTS passthrough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone!
I haven't been able to make the dts audio to pass through a Samsung LE32C650.
My setup is made of a raspberry with xbian alpha5 connected via hdmi to the TV set and an AVR (yamaha rx-v450) connected via optical cable to the TV set.
If I use the tv built in media player I can get the dts to work via the optical audio connection. To do so I connect the TV via lan to a dlna media server (meezmo) and everything is fine.
If instead I use xbian via SMB shares and playing the same file, there is no way for me to get the dts to work.
In the tv menu I can only choose the PCM streaming and the "dolby digital" is grayed out.

Have you any suggestions?

Thanks!
most of the TV's cant pass the DTS or DD audio from HDMI input to SPDIF/Toslink output
please check you technical specification of your TV
here is some clue
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/261597/Samsung-Le32c650.html?page=38

so I doubt that you would be able pass out DTS from HDMI input to SPDIF output
Rikardo,
thank you for the suggestion!
As far as I understand, there is no way for my TV set to route the DTS stream to my AVR.
It seems that I have to rely on one of those deembedder I read about somewhere here in the forum.

I will check about them and whenever I will try one I will surely report back here!

Thanks!
you can not set this in your TV, that is what I trying to tell you here. Your TV can not transfer audio from HDMI input (Raspberry Pi in this case) to SPDIF output (AVR)
so basically, you would not be able to do what you trying to do
I'm sorry m8

One of the solution for you might be an HDMI splitter what can extract audio from HDMI and transfer to SPDIF
(2nd Mar, 2013 07:37 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]you can not set this in your TV, that is what I trying to tell you here. Your TV can not transfer audio from HDMI input (Raspberry Pi in this case) to SPDIF output (AVR)
so basically, you would not be able to do what you trying to do
I'm sorry m8

One of the solution for you might be an HDMI splitter what can extract audio from HDMI and transfer to SPDIF

And this is what I'm going to do, maybe I haven't explained myself at all.. Shy
I will use a deembedder between the Raspberry and my TV set and simply connect the s/pdif or tos/link out to my amplifier...
I will check what it is available. I found this one but I'm going to search something less expensive...
I'm going to order this one, I'll post my experiences when I have it Smile
why you are connecting RPI -> TV -> AVR? the standard way is that AVR is HUB receiving all inputs and connected via one HDMI to TV.

passthrough audio then stays within AVR and video is going out via HDMI to TV. to watch TV or other media source on TV (like Samsung smart), there is a configuration option on the yamaha and support on Samsung to utilize the same HDMI for sound in reversed stream. Its called ARC and on yamaha it's HDMI1 only. Normally the inputs are managed by TV (remote) via CEC to Yamaha (AVR can by turned off). If you changes input on TV to Live TV or other input (Smart), it sends CEC signal (if needed to turn AVR on / change input).

If you use the TV wrongly as hub for everything, audio will be always just Stereo. If the TV does not support ARC, special input on AVR Yamaha can be set for audio TV in if the signal is reversed. And if then TV is watched, AVR automatically activates this special audio input.

HDMI cabel needs to be HDMI 1.4

the signals needs to be routed via AVR, not TV. that's it's function. TV connected via HDMI. then it will properly passthrough. to route audio back to AVR from TV or Smart, use ARC via the same hdmi out (hdmi 1.4 kabel needed), or additional spdif. AVR yamaha will switch to it automatically if on TV is changed input / TV / Smart.

AVR is the center, not TV. it's their primary function. Then you can check from RPI 'tvservice -a' what are available streams.
While you have yamaha, you will read
PCM supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
AC3 supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.
DTS supported: Max channels: 7, Max samplerate: 96kHz, Max rate 1536 kb/s.
(15th Apr, 2013 01:22 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]why you are connecting RPI -> TV -> AVR? the standard way is that AVR is HUB receiving all inputs and connected via one HDMI to TV.

If you use the TV wrongly as hub for everything, audio will be always just Stereo.

the best way, go through AVR if possible ofc...if you do not have HDMI AVR than you have to connect the other way or go through TV Wink

edit: OP mentioned he has Yamaha RX-V450 which is not HDMI receiver
(15th Apr, 2013 02:54 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]edit: OP mentioned he has Yamaha RX-V450 which is not HDMI receiver

then shame on me

I was sure AVR with those specs ... with no HDMI? then I'm glad I missed this generation of AVR. my previous was sill analog ProLogic. HDMI is really so jung?
no worries m8 Wink we all overlook some info sometimes Smile
(15th Apr, 2013 03:23 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]no worries m8 Wink we all overlook some info sometimes Smile

silly question, how was the video signal transmitted then? With my 20years Technics it was clear. It's the AUDIO equipment... it was easy.

I have some pure audio equipment with only SPDIF or TOS, but this are digital audio mixers, etc.

But how sticks something called HomeTheatreSystem with no VIDEO switching possibility to the concept? It wasn't S-Video, was it??? HiDef audio and VHS style Video quality??? Smile

I'm not challenging you, I really missed something. I remember multichannel encoding into 2ch (at selected theaters) and then the cheap AVR I bought from Yamaha having 9 audio hdmi in, and maybe 20 analog (I suppose from sentiment) ins with matrix chaining independently video & audio. And it was really cheap!

The ProLogic and ProLogicII was 15x times more expensive than this.
RPi>HDMI>TV so you have A/V in high standards than from TV>TOS>AVR so you have best picture on TV and multichannel DD 5.1 on AVR Wink (sound on TV is disabled and pass-through to AVR) Wink
(1st Mar, 2013 08:27 AM)Auzman Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone!
I haven't been able to make the dts audio to pass through a Samsung LE32C650.
My setup is made of a raspberry with xbian alpha5 connected via hdmi to the TV set and an AVR (yamaha rx-v450) connected via optical cable to the TV set.
If I use the tv built in media player I can get the dts to work via the optical audio connection. To do so I connect the TV via lan to a dlna media server (meezmo) and everything is fine.
If instead I use xbian via SMB shares and playing the same file, there is no way for me to get the dts to work.
In the tv menu I can only choose the PCM streaming and the "dolby digital" is grayed out.

Have you any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a similar problem with the Samsung LE40B750 but I am wondering to which TV menu you are talking about. How can you reach that menu where DD is grayed out?
Reference URL's