Forum

Full Version: XBian/XBMC with PVR/TVHeadend experiences.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

i am running the lastest XBian with the PVR/TVHeadend module activated and the MPEG-2 codec license installed.

I have a second RaspberryPi, which run in headless mode as my TV-Server using tvhendend. I have a twin DVB-T usb stick from Haupauge installed. The server runs very smooth.

I also have an XBMC installation on my MacMini. I can watch Live TV and recorded streams via tvheadend without any problems.

When i try to use the very same tvheadend server with my RaspberryPi / XBian i experience problems:

- Some live streams are not displayed 16:9 but they appear as a square video with 1:1 pixel ratio i would guess.

- Live Playback does not work reliable. Either buffering, black screen or even hangups.

- Playback of recoded items suffers the same.

I have my recorded TV-Movies also available as a Samba source in the Video section of XBMC. I store my TV-Recordings in standad tvheadend Matroska format. If I play them directly via SMB, everything is fine.

I like to know, if other users have similar expierences or what has to be done to make it run as smooth as on my MacMini.

Cheers
dezi
Can you try overclocking your pi to turbo, you can easily do this in xbian-config.
I do not believe, that this is an issue on cpu-speed. I can play the recorded streams via a smb:// video source in XBian pretty well. If i try to play the very same recorded movie (same WLAN, same USB-Disk on server, same hardware, same MPEG-2 codec, same Xbian) via the PVR-Addon and tvheadends http server, it does not work. Maybe the http protocol is not as effective as samba or the control of the player is different (wrong display ratio, stuttering).

So my question goes into that directorion of "optimizing" http transfer buffer sizes and so on. I am willing to do patches in tvheadend server to accomplish this, since i compiled and installed that from git/svn myself.

My envrionment is:

I have one Raspberry wheezie headless connected via 100 Mbit to WLAN router. This is running tvheadend + a huge disk via USB, shared with Samba. Works like a charm with an MacMini running XBMC OSX via WLAN.

Second Raspberry stuffed with XBian alpha 5. WLAN connect. Plays Matroska MPEG-2 Recordings via SMB path seemlessly. Does not do the same trick via HTSP / TVheadend. Also has the same problems with Live-TV. Which is the real problem.

Cheers
dezi
I can confirm everything what dezi writes. Fresh raspberry, fresh xbian install, mpeg 2 license ok, headless raspberry with tvheadend, smooth playback on other computers, but most of the time I don't get any image at all when changing channels on raspberry and when I get it, it's square ratio regardles of which ratio the stream really has - sometime the image is cropped and other time image is resized, which is weird. I don't get that much stuttering, but sometimes also.
(8th Jun, 2013 03:28 PM)calavera Wrote: [ -> ]when I get it, it's square ratio regardles of which ratio the stream really has - sometime the image is cropped and other time image is resized, which is weird. I don't get that much stuttering, but sometimes also.

try

System>Settings>Video>Playback>Display 4:3 videos as => Stretch 16:9
Reference URL's