Forum

Full Version: Wifi dongle help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi there,

I have this wifi dongle and I can't seem to get it working on XBian 1.0 Alpha 5. The dongle is connected to a powered usb hub.
I was looking through this thread and I am having similar problems to the OP. I am quite new to managing a Linux distro and I am not sure how the problem was actually resolved.

I can scan for networks and it finds my WPA2-secured network but I cannot connect to it.

Please can someone assist me?
What did you already try?
I have tried to configure the interface by setting it in the Xbian config on the dashboard, using iwconfig and by configuring it manually in the /etc/network/interface file.
I have now tried to manually copy over the kernel.img and the /lib/modules/3.6.11+ from https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian into their respective directories and reboot but it does not seem to have solved the problem
Did you try the xbian-config when logging into the shell?
Yes, I did.
I upgraded to the newest version of Xbian, using kernel 3.6.11+ and it seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks for the help anyway.
(8th Mar, 2013 06:25 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Did you try the xbian-config when logging into the shell?

I'm still struggling with this, please can you help. Sometimes it works and then just seems to stop working.

What has been happening today:
  • I use xbian-config from ssh and connect to a wpa encrypted network
  • I reboot to see if the network persists, it does
  • I reboot again (the network connection has been sketchy in the past), the network won't connect
  • when I try and scan using xbian-config, the screen goes white then takes me back to [scan] [custom]
  • I have tried rebooting, shutting down, unplugging the dongle but now I cannot reconnect
  • I know the wlan0 works sometimes but I wish that I could get it to a point where I was confident that it was working consistently

I don't know what to do any more. I've tried using openELEC and I had other problems, I really like xbian and I don't want to use something else but I'm running out of options.
When xbian-config fails to scan, can you try:
Code:
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
and post the output on PasteBin.
Scanning seems to be working now.

Using xbian-config, after scanning I select the network that I want to connect to, it says "Please wait. Trying to connect to gamma". The result is "Failed to connect to gamma".
Try to do:
Code:
sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup wlan0
Code:
root@xbian:/home/xbian# ifdown wlan0
ifdown: interface wlan0 not configured
root@xbian:/home/xbian# ifup wlan0
wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/d8:eb:97:18:da:eb
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/d8:eb:97:18:da:eb
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 1
No DHCPOFFERS received.
Unable to obtain a lease on first try.  Exiting.
Failed to bring up wlan0.
The content of /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
root@xbian:/home/xbian# cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-ssid "gamma"
wpa-psk "password1"

iface default inet dhcp
This is the problem at this point:
Code:
wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
Can you try a fresh Alpha 5 to see if the problem persists?
That seems to have resolved the problem for now. I would like to install
Code:
apt-get install xbian-package-download
Is it ill-advised?

My reply was a bit hasty. I tried to ping the IP address that the wlan0 interface received but it did not work. If I unplug the ethernet cable and ssh to the wlan0 ip address, I get "No route to host" but I can ping the router.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's