Forum

Full Version: Keeping xbian up-to-date (with apt-get)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there!

So I've seen several posts that say that you shouldn't use apt-get dist-upgrade to update xbian. Could someone explain why? Is xbian only meant to be updated when there is a new "official" release (e.g., alpha 5)?

Then again, apt-get upgrade seems to be fine, but I'm not sure about that either. And then there's also xbian-update.

Is there any documentation on how to keep xbian up-to-date while retaining the ability to install packages from Raspbian (which may need a dist-upgrade)?

Thanks in advance!
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
DON'T use this command until we give green light on it again. This is because some packages that are normally hold back (libc, which currently breaks your whole installation) are installed then.

sudo apt-get upgrade
This command should work fine, however in some rare cases it breaks the system. This is for example when users are on alpha 4 and install xbmc 12.1 package.

What's the best?
Keep an eye on the frontpage, we will post all updates there
@Koenkk, I just wondered. Did you ever compile XBMC on a libc6 newest version system?
(27th Mar, 2013 09:05 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]@Koenkk, I just wondered. Did you ever compile XBMC on a libc6 newest version system?

not yet Wink
Then do it.
Reference URL's