Forum

Full Version: Folder organization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is one thing I have been struggling with even with the Windows version of XBMC. How do I organize my media into folders to get XBMC to recognize it? I always have to go diving through folders and browse to find files and even then I can't play track after track I have to go back and browse to the next track via the file browser. I've tried importing a folder containing mp3's under Settings>Music>Library>import music library but it doesnt allow me to select USB0 as a choice. How do I tell Xbian to use my flash drive as my main media source? My Library Stats show 0 movies, 0 songs, 0 Tv shows, they're all there I just have to browse for them every time.

Raspi rev B
Xbian 1.0a5
XBMC 12.0
OC'd to 900MHz not overvolted
using the "Carmichael" skin ver 1.0.0
Does this thread perhaps help?
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-705.html
not 100% sure what you asking here but this is the structure I use
  • Movies/movie_name_folder/movie_file
  • TV Series/TV_series_name_folder/series_01/episodes
  • Music/music_name_folder/music_file

each of the section added as a source and scanned with appropriate scraper

never had a issue with this structure, all files always scanned and scraped correctly

When I adding the source for movies/tv shows I always making sure that I have "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title" enabled as not all the files are named properly where 99% of the folders are. So the scrapers use lookup for the folder name and not the file name
I use filebot to rename and sort my tv shows/movies.

There's a post on using it on RPi:
http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=644

For TV shows I use this:
Code:
Y:/Videos/TV/{def a; new File('Y:/incoming/scripts/names.csv').splitEachLine(';'){ if (n == it[0]) a = it[1]}; a ?: n.upperInitial().replaceTrailingBrackets()}/{"Season"} {s.pad(2)}/{def a; new File('Y:/incoming/scripts/names.csv').splitEachLine(';'){ if (n == it[0]) a = it[1]}; a ?: n.upperInitial().replaceTrailingBrackets()} - [{s.pad(2)}x{e.pad(2)}] - {t}

Change "Y:/Videos/TV/" and "Y:/incoming/scripts/" to the appropriate paths.

example of output:
Y:/Videos/TV/Dexter/Season 01/Dexter - [01x01] - Dexter.mkv

names.csv contains
SHOW NAME AS FOUND ON thetvdb;How I want it formated in the file

examples(notice the semi-colon needs to be between the two):
Code:
CSI: Miami;CSI- MIAMI
CSI: NY;CSI- NY
NCIS: Los Angeles;NCIS- LA
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation;Crime Scene Investigation
M*A*S*H;MASH

If you don't include a show in the file then it'll just use the theTVDB name normalized for non-legal characters.

For movies I use:
Code:
Y:/Videos/MOVIES/{n} ({y})/{n} ({y})

example of output:
Y:/Videos/MOVIES/Beverly Hills Cop (1984)/Beverly Hills Cop (1984).mkv

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't use Filebot for music, instead I use foobar2000 with a convert profile that uses this to format file/directory:
Code:
%album artist%/%album%/[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber% - %artist% - %title%

example of output:
/Dwight Yoakam/Guitars, Cadilacs, Etc., Etc\01 - Dwight Yoakam - Honky Tonk Man.flac
Why would you ever care about renaming tvshows? I simply put all eps in a folder per tv show and season and it always scrapes, no issues.
Once in a few years there is a tv show like The Bitch in Apartment 23, written in 8 different ways. All i do is check tvdb.com how its written there, then name the folder of the tv show like that, or leave it and do a manual search with xbmc, one time only. I woul never waste time and effort to renaming eps themselves.
(2nd Apr, 2013 05:09 AM)zilexa Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you ever care about renaming tvshows? I simply put all eps in a folder per tv show and season and it always scrapes, no issues.
Once in a few years there is a tv show like The Bitch in Apartment 23, written in 8 different ways. All i do is check tvdb.com how its written there, then name the folder of the tv show like that, or leave it and do a manual search with xbmc, one time only. I woul never waste time and effort to renaming eps themselves.

exact, as I said Wink
some people like stuff complicated
Nice, clean and completely sorted. Now if I was just going to watch and delete them I'd use vlc or mpc-hc and then delete, which would of saved me money(ie no RPI) and I wouldn't need something like Xbian. Wink Some people don't like messy. Tongue Besides, now that I've got the pattern I just dump, match(select thetvdb) and rename(push button to rename and move them), not all that complicated.
(2nd Apr, 2013 07:22 AM)bonelifer Wrote: [ -> ]Nice, clean and completely sorted. Now if I was just going to watch and delete them I'd use vlc or mpc-hc and then delete, which would of saved me money(ie no RPI) and I wouldn't need something like Xbian. Wink Some people don't like messy. Tongue Besides, now that I've got the pattern I just dump, match(select thetvdb) and rename(push button to rename and move them), not all that complicated.

nice1 Wink

I just get mine to my server into folder and than turn ON RPi and watch, hmm... all scraped and ready, no mess. Not even need a computer or anything
Cool
I suppose the main issue I'm running into is I have to go browsing through the root directory and find my usb port every time. Even Under the Music tab off the home screen I select Add Source > root filesystem> media > USB0. Once its added as a source in order to play each song I have to go back to the main Music screen then sources screen, select USB0, then browse for the folder containing the artist I want then to the subfolder containing the albums then to the subfolder containing tracks.

I want to go from the main home screen > audio and play track after track with having the go back and forth through menus to access each track.

I have tried going to Settings > audio > import library and selecting root filesystem> media > USB0 >"Music" folder but the OK button is greyed out, not selectable.

While on the Home Screen when Music is highlighted, if I open the submenu it gives me options for, "Recently played", "Recently added", "Genres", "playlists", "Artists", "Albums", "Party Mode", "Compilations", "Top 100", "Update Library".... etc and they're all empty. I click Update Library, nothing happens. How do I get XBMC to see the files on my flash drive and add them to the visible library? I'm really tired of having to go through the add sources file browser to play every track.

I'm going to be installing this setup in vacation rental properties so it must be fool proof. Renters have a knack for completely abandoning their brains when they enter a house so there's no way I can have them browsing through a file system for tracks, and movies. It has to be very straight forward.
(2nd Apr, 2013 03:06 PM)ej24 Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose the main issue I'm running into is I have to go browsing through the root directory and find my usb port every time. Even Under the Music tab off the home screen I select Add Source > root filesystem> media > USB0. Once its added as a source in order to play each song I have to go back to the main Music screen then sources screen, select USB0, then browse for the folder containing the artist I want then to the subfolder containing the albums then to the subfolder containing tracks.

I want to go from the main home screen > audio and play track after track with having the go back and forth through menus to access each track.

I have tried going to Settings > audio > import library and selecting root filesystem> media > USB0 >"Music" folder but the OK button is greyed out, not selectable.

While on the Home Screen when Music is highlighted, if I open the submenu it gives me options for, "Recently played", "Recently added", "Genres", "playlists", "Artists", "Albums", "Party Mode", "Compilations", "Top 100", "Update Library".... etc and they're all empty. I click Update Library, nothing happens. How do I get XBMC to see the files on my flash drive and add them to the visible library? I'm really tired of having to go through the add sources file browser to play every track.

I'm going to be installing this setup in vacation rental properties so it must be fool proof. Renters have a knack for completely abandoning their brains when they enter a house so there's no way I can have them browsing through a file system for tracks, and movies. It has to be very straight forward.

I seem to have the exact same problem. I added the movies without any problems but cannot import the music library using: settings > music > import music library

When I go to the folder (root file system > media > usb1 > music) the 'ok' is greyed out. Is this the correct way to set it up?

Because I can't seem to find how to start scanning/scraping.

Under music > add source, I have added the correct location. Through there I can get to my music collection. But Library mode is greyed out.

In the xbmc the library doesn't show.
not sure what you have done or how did you do
So from Music add the source. Once the source is added just go over it and evoke contextual menu (keyboard=C, remote=option(usually) or mouse RMB) than just select "Scan item to library". Than scraper should start download the infos and add the music to your library
(19th May, 2013 09:49 PM)Kevf Wrote: [ -> ]Because I can't seem to find how to start scanning/scraping.

Under music > add source, I have added the correct location. Through there I can get to my music collection. But Library mode is greyed out.

while you are browsing folders in music -> files, menu & scan item to library
The solution was: go to source, right mouse click (context menu; the term was new to me) and then 'scan to library'

'Import library' is for importing library files? Anyway; solved Smile
Reference URL's