Forum

Full Version: wifi is gone after reboot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
Every time I reboot Rasp. PI my wi-fi settings get lost. The" wireless key" line that I enter to /etc/network/interface manually or by running ' sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s: MY_KEY', disappears after each reboot.

I use xbian image, the wireless adapter is TP-link with WEP security.

How do I make my wi-fi settings survive the reboot?
Quote:thank you. I posted the question here http://forum.xbian.org/thread-743.html

XBian-config works only after ' sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s: MY_KEY' and ' sudo ifup wlan0' . XBian-config does not have on option to enter password(key), only asks for SSID.

If it doesn't ask your for a password your probably selected that it is an Open network.
I select WEP. Tried now again it does let me enter password if I choose "manually" and not "scan" with xbian-config. But it does not manage to connect to the network.

I manage to connect only after adding the password from the terminal and 'ifup wlan0' till I reboot.
Can you try executing
Code:
sync

after the wireless network is working (this saves all changed to the disk).

Also make sure you shutdown your Pi properly, you can do this by executing
Code:
sudo halt

Now wait till the RED power LED on the raspberry pi stops burning and then replug the power.
No, it did't help.

I also get this error messsage:
"Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
invalid argument "My_KEY" if I run 'ifup wlan0' without running 'sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s: MY_KEY' first.

After I run the key command, with the same key_name that error message complained about, 'ifup' works.

Sometimes after the key command the error message still appears when running 'ifup', but the command works nevertheless.

Sorry, I did not notice the last line about waiting for the red light to turn off. I am doing it now again(sync and halt).
Waiting for for almost 30min now. Should it take that long?
Sorry I was mistaken, the green light should stop burning instead of the red one. Also, the passphrase has to be placed between "".
the "" should be seen in the 'interfeces' file too?
First try the sync & halt
tried, it did not help.

I used "" in the sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s:"MY_KEY". It did not help, now in the complain about key_name it shows it as "key_name".

Here is my interfaces now. Maybe something is wrong here?

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wireless-essid www
wireless-key KEY_NAME

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
Thank you. The problem was with the key format. I changed it to hexidecimal and even the xbian-config managed to connect to the network. And it worked after reboot as well.
Reference URL's