Forum

Full Version: Mount SMB share at boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Edit:
Spoke to soon! I have managed to mount my shares successfully and can now access them through the mount-place in xbmc (I'm using xbian). However, when trying to set things up with sickbeard/nzbGet they can't create any files on the directory, so I'm guessing I have not set the read/write access properly.

The user profile (xbian) has read/write privalages on the share and when edited the fstab i made sure i put rw in the options.
Code:
//192.168.1.70/xbian /mnt/xbian cifs user=xbian,pass=raspberry,rw 0 0

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I have finally found the answer. I don't know how i never came across this site in all my searches (or why i didn't try Raspberry Pi's forums to start with!) but this thread gave me the answer.

Thought I would share it in case anyone else had the same issues.

The line used in /etc/fstab was:
Code:
//192.168.1.70/xbian /mnt/xbian cifs user=xbian,pass=raspberry 0 0

Hope this helps

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

How do you set xbian to mount a share folder at boot?

I have a 1TB HD plugged into my Airport Extreme that is shared over my home network via SMB. I can access the files on the hard in xbmc, add them to the library and play them. But I need to be able to mount the share to my system so I can use it with nzbGet, Sickbear, etc. I would plug it into my Pi directly but it is formatted with HFS+ and I have nowhere to put the ≈500GB of media on it while I re-format, nor do I particularly want to chance the file system as HFS+ obviously works best with my Mac.

I have found a number of site on the internet that suggest editing /etc/fstab to get the share to mount at boot but I can’t seem to get it to work. In fact even when I try to manually mount the drive I just get a variety of errors. Being a Linux noob I really need some help as this is driving me insane.

Hoping to hear from someone soon as I really want to be able to get going properly with this funky piece of kit and what is an awesome distro for it!

System:
Raspberry Pi Alpha-5
AirPort extreme
1TB portable HD, plugged into AirPort and shared at //xxx.xxx.x.xx/xbian
I amended he entry in fstab to include the options file_mode=0777 and dir_mode=0777 and this has given the local default account 'xbian' read/write privilages but every time I try to add anything in sick beard or nzbGet I get an error saying it can't create the directory.

Help!....
Code:
//x.x.x.x/movies         /media/movies    cifs    username=xbian,password=raspberry,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

If this doesn't work, check your server settings.
on a fresh install of Xbian ,RW is turned off for shares ..

to enable you drop to command line and do the following

sudo nano /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf
• In Nano find the line: SHARESMB= and the line SHAREW =
make sure both are set to =YES
the one you have to change on a fresh install is just the last one

then reboot and you can drag and drop from windows or mac over SAMBA
Reference URL's