Forum

Full Version: What is the best way to transfer big files to RPi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the best way to transfer big files to the RPi?
Now I've test this options:
  • transmission (torrent) - up to 5 Mb/s
  • Samba from windows PC - 6Mb/s at start, after few seconds avg. spd 1-2Mb/s
  • sftp (WinSCP) - less than 1Mb/s
  • wget (using HFS as web-server) - up to 4Mb/s, avg - 1.5Mb/s

RPi uses wifi connection, at this time avg. spd is around 40 mb/s (up and dl), max is 60 dl and 50 up (iperf).
Good question! Hope we can keep this topic clean with only real answers, proven methods and benchmarks.
Netcat has zero overhead so is a very good candidate.

You can find example usage here ( http://arkanis.de/weblog/2009-05-22-fast-file-transfer-with-netcat ).
(21st Apr, 2013 10:28 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Netcat has zero overhead so is a very good candidate.

You can find example usage here ( http://arkanis.de/weblog/2009-05-22-fast-file-transfer-with-netcat ).

How to check speed? Now target file becomes bigger for 300Kb/s
(23rd Apr, 2013 02:58 PM)kraleksandr Wrote: [ -> ]
(21st Apr, 2013 10:28 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Netcat has zero overhead so is a very good candidate.

How to check speed? Now target file becomes bigger for 300Kb/s

I would check the speed with the 'time' command.

To calculate speed do this.

Size in Megabyte x 1024 / Transfer time in seconds.

Example 260 Megabyte file in 1 min 12 seconds would be.

260 x 1024 = 266240 / 72 = 3697.66 kilobytes per second transfer speed
I just tested SCP from my Android device (Galaxy Nexus) to the Raspberry Pi and I had a sustained transfer rate of 2100 KB/s (260 megabyte file) using an app for the transfer.

You must be having an issue with WinSCP.
(24th Apr, 2013 07:38 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]I just tested SCP from my Android device (Galaxy Nexus) to the Raspberry Pi and I had a sustained transfer rate of 2100 KB/s (260 megabyte file) using an app for the transfer.

You must be having an issue with WinSCP.

Maybe...
When I start copying, speed is up to 2200 Mb/s, after 11 seconds WinSCP becomes "Non Responding" and after ~30 seconds it resumes copying with 300 kb/s speed
BtSync: 2kB/s - 1.7mB/s, avg - 500kB/s
if you can't use nfs, try ftp. just tried now with over sustained 6.3MB/s with 700MB file.
Ok, ftp:
proftp, default conf, root on /media/hdd (external hdd)
up to 4 Mbit/s at start, then avg. 500 kbyte/s or error after 3 seconds
Magic Smile
Looks like I need to buy another wifi-adapter... With MIMO and n-mode
just to be sure, run "iostat 2" during the transfer and check whether your iowait % is not 100% all the time.

writing with dd to the hdd is with no issues?
Ok, when kB_wrtn/s is around 1500, then %iowait is at 70.00
dd from sdcard to hdd bs 512 count 200: iowait 75, kb_wrtn 700, "104857600 bytes (105 MB) copied, 66.848 s, 1.6 MB/s" (dd to file, fs ext4)
this is ok, yes
The results of my tests:

- Setup: Transfer big files from Windows 7 PC (wireless connected to router) to Raspberry pi (wired to router).
- Test file: one 600 MB video file
- Measurement: by NetWorx; average and maximum speeds (measurement done in Windows, manual activated direct after copy command).
- Copy to Raspberry: Internal SD card (ext.4) or External connected USB 2.0 drive (ext.4).

Samba (SMB) - standard Xbian package
  1. to USB HDD: av 4.0 MB/s; max 4.2 MB/s
  2. to SD: av 4.6 MB/s; max 6.3 MB/s (speed is very diverge during copy, min ca. 3MB/s)

NFS - (Using HaneWin NFS server and this method)
  1. to USB HDD: av. 2.3 MB/s; max. 2.5 MB/s
  2. to SD: av. 2.1 MB/s; max. 3.1 MB/s

SFTP - using WinSCP
  1. to USB HDD: av 1.6 MB/s; max 2,2 MB/s
  2. to SD:          av 1.6 MB/s; max 2,2 MB/s

FTP - using wsftpd as server and Filezilla as client; installed by this small guide
  1. to USB HDD: av 5.8 MB/s; max 6.5 MB/s
  2. to SD:          av 5.2 MB/s; max 6,9 MB/s (speed is very diverge during copy, min ca. 2MB/s)

My conclusion: the best way for me to easily copy big files from my PC to my raspberry (normally USB HDD) is by using FTP (replaced Samba for me).
/edit: added FTP measurement
Reference URL's