Forum

Full Version: Xbian shutting down Rpi over time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

Not sure which forum to put this in. But I have noticed this twice. Where Xbian and the RPi will be running fine for days on end, then it seems after a while, everything shuts down. The only light on the RPi is the red one, no others. If I unplug and plug it back in, it doesn't help until I let it sit for about an hour I find.

Not sure if this is an over heating issue? It's in a well ventilated area, in an open case and it's only set to the overclocking setting that Xbian provides.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Please try to disable the hardware Watchdog and try it again:
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-516-post-9505.html#pid9505
I added this now. Thanks for that. I also put the clock freq down to 250 as suggested in other threads. Also it says it will be in Beta.

I feel like it's more of an over heating issue than the watchdog timer. The watchdog time I can't see actually causing it to not boot up afterwards for an extended period of time. I can see an overheating issue causing this though.

Who knows, we shall see.
You can use the following command to check the temperature. I think all below 60'C should be fine:
Terminal

sudo /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp
RPi should run at 80°C without an problem, and I doubt that by running XBMC you ever reach 70°C or above
Yea, I was kind of surprised to see it shutting down. But the only thing that (in my mind) could explain having to shut it down for about an hour, was a heat issue. Either way, we'll see if it happens in a week again (it generally happened within 3-4 days).

I will update back in a week.
in any chance you can get some infra thermo-meter? the thing what is used in shops/stores to check temp in fridges.
If you do you may check the temp on RPi so you would know if it does or doesn't overheat
Reference URL's