Forum

Full Version: connecting to SMB server: "operation not permitted"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
system:
raspberry pi model B
Xbian 1.0 alpha 5
XBMC version 12.1
mac version: 10.8.3 (mountain lion)

Here is my problem. I have an smb share on my mac and tried connecting to it from xbian. At first, I successfully did so although it would not list any directories as I did not set the appropriate permissions. Finally, I allowed "read-only" access to "everyone" for the shared folder, and then everything worked fine. Curious as to why it did not prompt me for a username/password upon that initial connection, as it did when connecting to a share on my other raspberry pi (configured via normal smb.conf), I took away "everyone" "read-only" access and tried to change the url from "smb://MYMAC" to "smb://user@MYMAC", where "user" is the name of the owner account for the shared folder on my mac. Everything seemed to break at this point. Now, anytime I try to connect whether with or without a specific username in the url, I cannot, and instead get an error message, saying "operation not permitted". I was also able to duplicate the entire process using the ip address. At first it connected, then when I tried to add a username, everything broke and now I cannot connect at all--with or without the username. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should also mention that I get that same "operation not permitted" message when browsing to the system. I can access other shares in the same workgroup, namely "WORKGROUP" (as I said the samba server on my other raspberry pi, running raspbian wheezy, works fine), but not the mac.
Samba in OSX 10.7 and 10.8 is severely borked.
The workaround I use is SMBup (http://eduo.info/apps/smbup).
Just download the app and disable File Sharing on your Mac's System Preferences.

Has been working like a charm since then for me.
btw: OSX still has nfsd support (although not turned on by default)

put this to your /etc/exports file on Mac:
"
/ -alldirs -mapall=0
"
then from command line (terminal) issue this command "sudo nfsd start" or "sudo nfsd enable" if you want the change permanent.
but be careful, -mapall=0 means, all access will be provided under root user with RW access to everything.

you can then mount this directly to your RPI as local folder "mount -t nfs [yourmacip]:/ /media/my_mac".

if you wan't to access this share from xbmc rather than mounting on system level, you have to put "-N" parameter to nfsd plist file. you can google this or look for info directly at xbmc.org.
OK sorry I took so long to get back. I'm disappointed about smb not working properly on mac--do they not support the standard version of samba? In any case, I'll try NFS although I've never used it before. I want to read up on configuring it for my needs though--I'm only looking to share one folder in particular. Thanks for your help.
from 10.7 apple took older samba protocols out. but, I was perfectly able to mount the new smbx from linux.

the only change what is needed is to specify authentication protocol. higher from standard. sec= ... see man mount.cifs

but in order for this to work, cifs (kernel) needs to be compiled with "hmac md5 crypto support" .

apparently the one in xbian does not comply with this requirements.

mk
Reference URL's