Forum

Full Version: DD to SPDIF with Samsung LE40B750
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is my setup: pi > Samsung LE40B750 using HDMI and the TV is connected to my DD/DTS capable AVR through optical out (my receiver does not support HDMI).

I have a DVD that is connected with the same setup (DVD > TV) and I can play DD and DTS movies without any issue (so the audio passthrough is working as expected).

However on the pi I only get PCM output. I tried to switch the audio output in the system config from 7.0 to 5.1 but still no luck.

Does anybody know what I could try?

Thanks !
do you have DD and DTS options ON in XBMC settings ?
(1st May, 2013 07:03 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]do you have DD and DTS options ON in XBMC settings ?

Yes. I just tried a few movies and the audio settings states Audio stream: AC3 5.1 (1/1) but it's still PCM/Stereo on the receiver.

I am wondering if it could be related to the TV somehow that only certain HDMI ports have the passthrough option ...
page 12 in user manual for your TV

Quote:8 DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) Connects to a Digital Audio component such as a Home theatre receiver. When a Digital Audio System is connected to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack: Decrease the volume of the TV and adjust the volume level with the system’s volume control. 5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH. When the receiver (home theatre) is set to On, you can hear sound output from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theatre receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theatre receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the digital audio out jack on DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) directly to an Amplifier or Home Theatre, not the TV.

This explains why
(3rd May, 2013 02:16 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]page 12 in user manual for your TV

Quote:8 DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) Connects to a Digital Audio component such as a Home theatre receiver. When a Digital Audio System is connected to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack: Decrease the volume of the TV and adjust the volume level with the system’s volume control. 5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH. When the receiver (home theatre) is set to On, you can hear sound output from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theatre receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theatre receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the digital audio out jack on DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) directly to an Amplifier or Home Theatre, not the TV.

This explains why

I am sorry but if you read my initial post, you'll see that I wrote that I have a DVD that is connected with the exact same setup and I do have DD 5.1 sound.

Or I misunderstood what you meant maybe?
than this is really odd as the manual of your TV state that when you output the sound from HDMI input over digital cable to your AV receiver you should have only stereo sound.
So how exactly is your DVD player connected to your TV and AV receiver?
(3rd May, 2013 03:52 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]than this is really odd as the manual of your TV state that when you output the sound from HDMI input over digital cable to your AV receiver you should have only stereo sound.
So how exactly is your DVD player connected to your TV and AV receiver?

exactly the same way. DVD is HDM1 and the PI is HDMI3. That's the only difference. Just to be sure, I am going to connect the PI to HDMI1 to see if that makes any difference.
Reference URL's