Forum

Full Version: Setting up a WiFi adapter without ethernet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Just installed XBian on my Pi and it runs great! However I am facing one problem which I can't think of a workaround for.

I have an Edimax wireless USB adapter, this one here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811UN-150Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367694613&sr=8-1&keywords=edimax+usb

and I would like to get it working with XBian however I don't have an ethernet connection to my router. I live in a shared house where I can't move the router and I don't have an ethernet cable long enough to go to the other side of the house.

Is there a way I can get the adapter working with XBian without having the Pi connected to my router through ethernet?

Thank you for any help. Smile
In XBMC -> System -> Settings -> XBian
Thanks, I had to switch to advanced settings but it picks up my router and when I select it to connect it prompts me for my password which I enter, then it says "connecting wlan0 to <router SSID>" and just brings up the "Select Network" dialog again. When I click my router again it once again asks for the password and just repeats infinitely.

It's definitely the right password, I even copied it straight from my regular desktop PC connecting to the same router. :/

EDIT: nevermind, I had to change "Mode" from static to DHCP. Seems to work perfectly now. Thanks again! Smile
Reference URL's