Forum

Full Version: Great !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wanted to say I like Xbian. Had some problems with video streams (Uitzending gemist) from the Internet using Raspbmc and tried Xbian yesterday. All works fine now and installing is very easy and video streams are stable. Thanks!
Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated
: cool:
xbian is awesome!!!

the 1.1 beta is just tops. its fast and stable. i finally found a good usb-sata adapter and i have all 250gigs of my media onboard now! its so nice!

really the only two things i want added is, 1) and equalizer. would love to have a software eq for the audio. and 2) a better waveform visual. the one in it is OK, but it could be a lot better... something that is more reflective of real time sound.

i dont use the opengl visual, its kinda ugly with my skin im using. would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get projectIM working, but i understand its a hardware limitation.

keep it up guys... this software is the only reason im buying raspberry pi's.
Good to hear your positive feedback resinis.
I had to say something didn't I?!?!?

My usb hard drive stopped working again. This time, it started while I was using yatse to control music. No matter what I picked, it would play something totally different.

not wanting to figure it out, I just reformatted the SD card and reinstalled. No more USB drive at all now! in fact, NO usb drive works now. Not a flash drive, not even a mouse.

Frustrated, I re-downloaded xbian and reinstalled again. Same thing. Very frustrated, I ripped out my pi and installed a different pi I had laying around. SAME. FREAKIN. THING. No usb drive shows up!

The kicker? all my usb drives work great on windows computers, using the same adapters and everything.

Even tried powering the pi though GPIO pins. No change.

I just want to smash my pi's with a hammer and get a cheap android board. I am sick of this horrendous USB support that raspberry's seem to have.
There is a known problem in Beta 1.1 that USB drives are not always mounted (Solved in Beta 1.2)
From ssh xbian-config, Go Services -> Start dbus (It probably is stopped), stop/start xbmc and all USB drives should be visible in XBMC.
(4th Oct, 2013 05:47 AM)resinis Wrote: [ -> ]I had to say something didn't I?!?!?

My usb hard drive stopped working again. This time, it started while I was using yatse to control music. No matter what I picked, it would play something totally different.

not wanting to figure it out, I just reformatted the SD card and reinstalled. No more USB drive at all now! in fact, NO usb drive works now. Not a flash drive, not even a mouse.

Frustrated, I re-downloaded xbian and reinstalled again. Same thing. Very frustrated, I ripped out my pi and installed a different pi I had laying around. SAME. FREAKIN. THING. No usb drive shows up!

The kicker? all my usb drives work great on windows computers, using the same adapters and everything.

I just want to smash my pi's with a hammer and get a cheap android board. I am sick of this horrendous USB support that raspberry's seem to have.

If you'r having problems with dbus and it doesn't start follow this quick fixes:
http://pinkjudy147.blogspot.nl/2013/07/how-to-fix-airplay-on-xbian-beta-11.html?m=1
I had problems with it too and this fixed them!
(5th Oct, 2013 01:06 AM)Trinket Wrote: [ -> ]
(4th Oct, 2013 05:47 AM)resinis Wrote: [ -> ]I had to say something didn't I?!?!?

If you'r having problems with dbus and it doesn't start follow this quick fixes:
http://pinkjudy147.blogspot.nl/2013/07/how-to-fix-airplay-on-xbian-beta-11.html?m=1
I had problems with it too and this fixed them!

Thanks. what i did was first, sell both my pi's as-is. made $60 on them! then, bought a new pi. New xbian installed, Plugged in HDD, and it wouldnt show up!

Then, went into "add source" because i was frustrated and noticed the hdd was in there! Added it, and it works greatUndecided in the past, the HDD would just show up automatically. I wonder if a xbian update has changed this?

I think I might have sold my Pi's for no reason, but oh well. I only lost $20 on the both of them.

At any rate, its working better then ever (i think overclocking doesnt help anything either, so I am running stock xbian speed).

Now just to figure out how to get smb shares to pop up on my other computers!!
(2nd Oct, 2013 01:56 PM)resinis Wrote: [ -> ]xbian is awesome!!!

the 1.1 beta is just tops. its fast and stable. i finally found a good usb-sata adapter and i have all 250gigs of my media onboard now! its so nice!

really the only two things i want added is, 1) and equalizer. would love to have a software eq for the audio. and 2) a better waveform visual. the one in it is OK, but it could be a lot better... something that is more reflective of real time sound.

i dont use the opengl visual, its kinda ugly with my skin im using. would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get projectIM working, but i understand its a hardware limitation.

keep it up guys... this software is the only reason im buying raspberry pi's.
@resinis
Bad News.

XBMC Audio Mixer doesn't work because it requires amixer which is not available for the RPi.

projectM and the other "flashy" waveforms will not work on the RPi as they require an X server and OpenGL which XBMC on the RPi doesn't use.

Good news:

Beta 1.2 is even more stable and much faster with better recovery and a host of utils to make managing Xbian even easier.
thanks for the info.

I still think there could be a better waveform viz... at least attenuate the feedback a little, its just a bunch of squiggly stuff when youre playing music and such... i would like to see one with a faster refresh rate and lower excitement.

1.2 is out already? good to know you guys are still working on this! i love my power sipping music jukebox that reads harddrives and is controlled by android phones!

And i have read that if xbian switches to a the new audio engine (not sure whats is called.. pureaudio?) then it will be possible to implement an audio equalizer. In the meantime, i think i will just figure out how to make a bass and treble control with physical components...
New question- will it ever be possible to implement audio loudness equalization for movies? the dialog is much lower volume then when the action picks up, and i have to constantly adjust the volume.
(15th Oct, 2013 07:53 PM)resinis Wrote: [ -> ]New question- will it ever be possible to implement audio loudness equalization for movies? the dialog is much lower volume then when the action picks up, and i have to constantly adjust the volume.

do u have an multichannel AVR connected to RPi or just a TV and you use just 2.0 stereo?
If you have an AVR than best if you adjust all this in it. If you have just stereo (HDMI or Analog) than you can use boost option in XBMC Audio output settings
(15th Oct, 2013 01:10 PM)resinis Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for the info.

I still think there could be a better waveform viz... at least attenuate the feedback a little, its just a bunch of squiggly stuff when youre playing music and such... i would like to see one with a faster refresh rate and lower excitement.

1.2 is out already? good to know you guys are still working on this! i love my power sipping music jukebox that reads harddrives and is controlled by android phones!

And i have read that if xbian switches to a the new audio engine (not sure whats is called.. pureaudio?) then it will be possible to implement an audio equalizer. In the meantime, i think i will just figure out how to make a bass and treble control with physical components...

to get the best audio from RPi is over HDMI if is stereo or multichannel. The analog part is not done very good and definitely not a Hi Fidelity experience. So I would always highly recommend the HDMI way out and let a good quality AVR to process and amplify the sound.
This is how the RPi (with XBMC on it) was designed and meant by the creators and developers.
I know that some may argue that there are USB ports on it and would be great to use a USB DAC but again, the USB on RPi is not very well designed and also the XBMC on RPi has no Alsa support which is needed for the USB sound devices.
So, once again the HDMI is the best way and I would just stick to that Wink
Thanks

What I am using is a Waterloo toolbox made into a "ghettoblaster"... although i hate calling it that because I made it really nice and professional looking. It looks factory made, not this hacked crap you see on youtube!

So all the rpi is going into is a tripath amplifier- a high end one at that... so it has an extremely flat response over the whole freq range. Its kickass for music, but in movies it really needs some sort of normalization in the audio.

I am surprised you say the analog doesnt support hi-fidelity output, because thats all i am using and it sounds extremely good- better then my home stereo to be honest. Its funny because i usually just plug my phone into amps and listen that way, but the rpi's analog audio is 100x better then my cellphone (i have an htc sensation). You can hear so much more in the music it makes the cellphone sound like its streaming off the internet or something.

So, I suppose then I am SOL with the normalization on movie files. It's ok, because this box is made to play music primarily. If I really want good movie sound, I will just have to re-encode them with the audio normalized before I downloaded to the pi drive.

I do have yatse fully working now, and just learned the voice commands. people are going to freak when they see me talking to my toolbox to get it to play music Big Grin
I really want to to thank the devs of Xbian as well!

I think Xbian is by far the best distro compared to openelec and raspbmc.

What I especially like:
- The XBIAN settings menu is integrated in the XMBC settings menu, looks great and professional
- The boot screen is nice and clean, no flashy text (minor, but I really think this looks professional) (Still please remove the first lines of text during boot ;-))
- I like the update system in XBIAN, this way I always have the latest patches
- CEC is finally working 100% correctly on my LG tv!!
- I like the responsiveness on the forum of the devs! Always getting answers to question, thanks for that kind of devotion!!!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's