Forum

Full Version: No add-ons work, plus other issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just set up xbian on my RasPi this weekend and love it. I can connect via SMB to my main HTPC and watch my existing video library without any issues. However, I'm having a number of other issues. These are probably newb issues, but I'm going crazy.

1. I can download Add-Ons, and they initially run. I can, for instance, see a list of feeds in the TED add-on. Also, I can install and run the NPR audio add-on, and see a list of all available stations. But if the try to connect to a stream or anything beyond my local network, I get "Script failed!" messages.

2. I cannot set up weather. When I enter my city (a very large town) it says "No results found"

3. I cannot run updates. In xbian-config, in Config > Packages, I get "Failed to retrieve download mirrors, therefore a local (possibly outdated) list will be used."

It seems like all of these problems might be interrelated. Is there something wrong with my network settings that impede communications? If so, I don't understand how I can connect to my file server or download add-ons. I'm stumped.
Has your system been improperly shutdown since you installed Xbian?
(7th May, 2013 03:41 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Has your system been improperly shutdown since you installed Xbian?

will you help me? http://forum.xbian.org/thread-879.html
p.s. sorry for beign a thread killer
(7th May, 2013 03:41 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Has your system been improperly shutdown since you installed Xbian?

If this is the improper method, then yes:

Source: http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs
Question: "Where’s the on / off switch?
Answer: "To switch on: just plug it in! To switch off: remove power."

I realize now in submitting this that switch on/off is different from shutdown. I will investigate a corrupt SD. Any other suggestions?
(8th May, 2013 01:14 AM)travhoog Wrote: [ -> ]

If this is the improper method, then yes:

Source: http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs
Question: "Where’s the on / off switch?
Answer: "To switch on: just plug it in! To switch off: remove power."

I realize now in submitting this that switch on/off is different from shutdown. I will investigate a corrupt SD. Any other suggestions?

it might be your local network issue. DO you use DHCP or static IP?
If you use DHCP make sure your router is configured properly and the right connection is assigned to your RPi. If you use static IP make sure you have all the informations right-IP address, DNS server, etc, etc..
Did you try ping google ? by doing this you should be able to see if your connection works properly
It appears the data corruption idea was not the issues. Reformatted and re-installed xbian to no avail. the same problems persist.

(8th May, 2013 01:25 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]it might be your local network issue. DO you use DHCP or static IP?
If you use DHCP make sure your router is configured properly and the right connection is assigned to your RPi. If you use static IP make sure you have all the informations right-IP address, DNS server, etc, etc..
Did you try ping google ? by doing this you should be able to see if your connection works properly

I run DHCP, with a DHCP reservation for my RPi's MAC address, as I do with all devices that stay on the network 100% of the time. I am able to ping Google and xbian.org. But as I mentioned before, I have always been able to download and install addons.

Thanks for everyone's continued help and ideas. I hope there is a solution.

A development: I exited xbmc and logged in as root, the ran "sudo services xbnc start". I uninstalled all addons and installed YouTube as root, and though I saw one script error, it has since been running. I suspect a permissions issue. Any ideas?

I spoke too soon. Perhaps Youtube was never an issue. I still cannot set the weather or run programs I tried previously.

I'm starting to think I need to try OpenElec. Sad
For weather did y ou search the english name of your city? For Bruxelles, i néed to search Brussel to have result.
(8th May, 2013 05:40 PM)belese Wrote: [ -> ]For weather did y ou search the english name of your city? For Bruxelles, i néed to search Brussel to have result.

Nah, it wasn't that. I typed Denver, then Denver, CO, then Denver, Colorado.

But I did finally figure out the issue. I noticed my DNS settings looked a little funny, so I set the DNS on both my router AND my DSL modem to Google Public DNS:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

That seemed to do the trick, as everything is working. The confusing thing for me is that some network connections worked and some did not. I must admit my knowledge of DNS is limited, so the behavior was quite confusing.

So how do I mark this issue as solved?
thanks for sharing with us Wink
and im glad that you have fix it Wink
so as I was expected and posted before it was caused by local network.
I did change the prefix to Solved. If you dont know how to, you just need to edit your fist post by Full edit and than change the prefix at top left little drop down menu Wink
Reference URL's