Forum

Full Version: Keeping up with Raspbmc updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all!

Just a quick question - I always keep up to date with competing setups but for now I'm happy with xbian.

Apart from the (semi problematic) XBMC 12.2 update, I haven't noticed any updates to xbian core for a while whereas raspbmc are pretty transparent with updates:

http://www.raspbmc.com/2013/05/raspbmcs-may-update/
http://www.raspbmc.com/2013/04/raspbmcs-april-update/
etc..

A lot of the items in the changelogs interest me, for example most of the stuff in the April update looks like its beneficial to the underlying OS rather than XBMC specifically. My question is... do some of these updates from raspbmc and raspbian make it into xbian? I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on things which could make the whole experience better (or stop me having problems in the future), but I also have no idea if xbian has these enhancements.

So... keep up the good work Smile

Also, apologies if this should maybe be in the feedback forum!
Yes, we are working very hard on XBian 1.0 Beta 1 Wink
and also XBian always using the latest bleeding edge updates Wink
If you want to keep up and to have the latest than the nightly builds are for you
Please check our github
That's brilliant news Smile

I starred the repo on github recently but wasn't aware there were nightly builds for xbian (I thought they were only xbmc).

Are there instructions for using the github xbian release, or does it require compiling? I'm happy to play about with bleeding edge releases (linux sysadmin by trade so I'm fairly comfortable getting broken things working).
(15th May, 2013 05:56 AM)kipstar Wrote: [ -> ]That's brilliant news Smile

I starred the repo on github recently but wasn't aware there were nightly builds for xbian (I thought they were only xbmc).

Are there instructions for using the github xbian release, or does it require compiling? I'm happy to play about with bleeding edge releases (linux sysadmin by trade so I'm fairly comfortable getting broken things working).

yes we have an instruction Wink https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbmc-nightly/blob/master/README.md

Hope you going to enjoy your messing around on git Smile so have fun and feel free to post and search our forum
Cool
Ah, I was aware of the xbmc nightlies, I was wondering if there are nightlies for the underlying xbian/raspbian os?

Also, thanks for the replies - it's nice that 2 senior staff members take the time to answer queries Smile

Slightly unrelated, but I've been holding off of the xbmc 12.2 update because there were a lot of issues mentioned in the official thread (and people still seem to be having some problems) so I'm still using 12.1. I've noticed that apt-get upgrade has a lot of the libc packages (and xbian-package-xbmc) held back. Is it safe to upgrade these? If not, is it safe to force an upgrade of xbian-package-xbmc yet or would I possibly be better off going for a nightly?
These are XBMC nightlies, the issues with XBMC 12.2 have already been fixed in the xbmc-nightly. Do NOT force the update of libc packages, it will break your system.
Thanks, cloning now Smile
kipstar. all relevant components of xbian (xbian-package-*) are on github. after you clone the repo, just hit package generation script and you have .deb packages.

current master is for now (close to release) beta1, as soon as this will be out, development cycle will continue towards next milestone.

currently, within xbian-package-xbmc you will find nightly packages you can generate and install the same way as xbian-package-xbmc from section main.

if problems, you can reinstall back with standard package with apt-get install --reinstall

if you are skilled within shell and apt, there is nothing to be worried about
Reference URL's