Forum

Full Version: Change Xbian mac address
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys
Is there a way to change the Xbian system mac address?
I want to use my raspberry pi box with Xbian as an TV unscrambler and need to have specific mac address,
Thanks!
you may have a look here Changing MAC address passed to kernel
Thanks for that
Im such a linux newbie I didnt understand any of that
Don't have test it,
but according to this post
Quote:If you include
smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:59:EB:25
in your own cmdline.txt then start.elf won't set the default one.

ssh to the pi,
Terminal

sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
append this at the end of the line
smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:59:EB:25 (with your desired Mac)
ctrl + x to save
reboot
Thanks for trying to help me out but it did not work. I put the "sms95xx......." line after "...splash" in the command line with the desired mac address but it failed to change it. Any other ideas? Thanks!
what was the MAC you tried? how do you know it wasn't changed?
Im so sorry, it did change! I just forgot to put (Smile between the numbers. But I guess my problem is bigger than I thought, the stream works alright but only sound. I have no idea what format the broadcaster is using for the video.

that was supposed to be : not a smiley face lol
(3rd Jun, 2013 12:42 AM)Ronnie Bravo Wrote: [ -> ]Im so sorry, it did change! I just forgot to put (Smile between the numbers. But I guess my problem is bigger than I thought, the stream works alright but only sound. I have no idea what format the broadcaster is using for the video.

that was supposed to be : not a smiley face lol

if you know the link of the stream go to console (install) and start omxplayer, you will see the error on the screen.
If I play the stream in omxplayer it does not display an error as it´s playing the stream correctly but only with sound and a black screen.

Is it possible I need to buy an MPEG-2 licence key?
(3rd Jun, 2013 01:00 AM)Ronnie Bravo Wrote: [ -> ]If I play the stream in omxplayer it does not display an error as it´s playing the stream correctly but only with sound and a black screen.

Is it possible I need to buy an MPEG-2 licence key?

you can pass --info to omxplayer to see the info about stream. I have few medias which omxplayer plays audio only, but I get error like "codec not supported" (for instance DIVX3)

license is for unlocking acceleration in hardware. but still playable via software decode.
how do I pass--info to omxplayer? sorry Im such a newbie it´s embarresing
(4th Jun, 2013 07:50 AM)Ronnie Bravo Wrote: [ -> ]how do I pass--info to omxplayer? sorry Im such a newbie it´s embarresing

no problem. as you run omxplayer from console (as you did during the test), you just add --info parameter to command line. it should write specifications about the stream. codes bitstreams etc.
It has been considered that MAC address cannot be changed. But now it is possible. I have tried many software that claimed that can change the MAC address but all were fake. Finally, I got one, SpeedDemon! Now I can successfully change MAC anytime I want. Tongue

You can visit this site and see for yourself that it is possible - Change MAC Address
(4th Jun, 2013 05:02 PM)SilvesterNorman Wrote: [ -> ]It has been considered that MAC address cannot be changed. But now it is possible. I have tried many software that claimed that can change the MAC address but all were fake. Finally, I got one, SpeedDemon! Now I can successfully change MAC anytime I want. Tongue

You can visit this site and see for yourself that it is possible - Change MAC Address

thanks for your post
I have merged your thread under this one as it have a same topic so I think there is no point to have separate one. In the future please try to keep the forum clean as possible
-thx-
In conclusion to my part of this thread, the smsc95xx.macaddr.... line changed the mac address and buying the MPEG license fixed the stream problem so thanks to all you guys !
Reference URL's