Forum

Full Version: Crashed caused by screensaver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone, I recently installed Xbian and noticed that the built-in screensavers caused xbmc to crash and stop the service.

Via SSH I obtained my log file:

Code:
01:36:55 T:3042623488   DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScreensaverActivated from xbmc
01:36:55 T:3042623488   DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 4, from xbmc, message OnScreensaverActivated
01:36:55 T:3042623488   DEBUG: Activating window ID: 12900
01:36:55 T:2949997632  NOTICE: screensaver activated
01:36:55 T:2949997632   DEBUG: NEWADDON PythonCallbackHandler construction with PyThreadState 0x236a510
01:36:55 T:3042623488   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (Home.xml) ------
01:36:55 T:3042623488   DEBUG: ------ Window Init () ------
01:36:55 T:3042623488   DEBUG: ADDON: Dll Initializing - Euphoria
01:36:55 T:3042623488   ERROR: ADDON: Could not locate Euphoria.xbs

I was wondering if this was supposed to happen? I read that ProjectM visualizer doesn't work since its written for i386...

However I found that the screensavers are part of a linux package called rsxs which is located as a part of the XMBC repo:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master/xbmc/screensavers/rsxs-0.9

I read through the documentation and saw it is written in C++ and you can compile it.

This is where I need a bit of guidance/advice, I really want to get screensavers working on my Rpi!

Is there a reason the .xbs files were not in my installation? I used the Xbian 1.0 alpha 5 windows installer to copy to SD card.

Thank you in advance.[/code]
I believe that the graphical SS doesn't work in Xbian is exactly the same reason that ProjectM visuliser doesn't work. It's not that are written for I386 it is that they are written to use an X display manager, which xbian doesn't use.

It is also the reason that <cntl> Fx doesn't switch between terminal screens as in Raspbian or Pidora (They use an X server).

So I'm afraid you're stuck with None, Black or Dim. (Some of the add-ons might work but I haven't tried).

It should not make xbmc crash. I've tested loading all of the graphical SS and none of them made xbmc crash. They didn't work, but xbmc did not crash.
Hey IriDium, thanks. You are right, I did some more research and found out that the screensavers use OpenGL so they won't work with the pi.

I'm not really into coding but it'd be nice if they were either removed from the xbian.img, or properly ported to OpenGL ES (though I'm not sure if thats possible as you said they require X)...

anyhow for future reference here is the authors website, he has posted the source code for the screensavers:

http://www.reallyslick.com/screensavers/
Phew -I thought I was right in some aspects.

There are many "options" in xbian that are not "working". You have to remember that xbian was developed by individuals for non profit, so there will be slight problems. SS and add-ons that do not work - xbmc audio is another one.

I'm glad that the developers concentrate on the "serious" issues rather than "minor" ones. I'm sure one day all of these will eventually be removed. Maybe you could catalog the non working add-ons and post the results.

BTW: I have installed Raspbian and then installed xbmc which uses the X server. Most openGL worked. Xbmc ran, but alas it ran like a dog with only two legs - and that was on a good day with the wind behind it.

The Pi is a mere puppy compared to other HW, so it's amazing the developers have manged to create a mean, lean exceptional running OS.

The xbian developers have turned a Mini One into a Ferrari.

I doubt that any OpenGL will be ported to the Pi in the near future because of the HW and SW constraints.

Remember it's a $50 HW and $0 SW setup. For that money I kiss the ground.

So did the SS crash xbmc or was it just an error in the log?
Reference URL's