Forum
Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up (/thread-1009.html)

Pages: 1 2

Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - Liggerstuxin - 13th Jun, 2013 11:27 PM

You'd think that I could install 1channel and navi-x lightning quick considering how many times I've one it... Yet every time something like xbmc maintenance won't work on the first try, and some how I always need to reset, and reinstall and retry something....

Here's the question, it's an easy one,

How do I make a mirror image of my card for easy copying, when my card gets corrupt/glitched. ( I'm on my seccond class 4 card, I shoulda bought a high class one the seccond time... With my 512 raspberry)

It seems like as soon as I get xbian with all the bells and whistles, something goes wrong and freezes. And stupid xbmc maintainable repo is being inconsistent.

Thanks for all they help guys

Re: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - rikardo1979 - 14th Jun, 2013 12:06 AM

-get a decent class 10 card at first Wink
-install SuperRepo so you have an easy access to all addons
- get a win32image tool or similar to make an sd card backup

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - namtih - 14th Jun, 2013 04:02 AM

(14th Jun, 2013 12:06 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  -get a decent class 10 card at first Wink
Or use an USB device. No filesystem corruption anymore.

(14th Jun, 2013 12:06 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  - get a win32image tool or similar to make an sd card backup
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
Start it, choose the sd card, enter a filename and press "Read" to create a backup image.

Re: RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - rikardo1979 - 14th Jun, 2013 04:08 AM

(14th Jun, 2013 04:02 AM)namtih Wrote:  
(14th Jun, 2013 12:06 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  -get a decent class 10 card at first Wink

this may not be the best way for beginners Wink
Also with a decent SD card you should have no trouble (never had an issue with my cards).
Also consider that with any device plugged into USB port you may experience an power issues, as the ports are not designed very well on RPi as we all know Wink
So powered USB hub is highly recommended in this case

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - Liggerstuxin - 14th Jun, 2013 10:07 AM

(14th Jun, 2013 12:06 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  - get a win32image tool or similar to make an sd card backup
Start it, choose the sd card, enter a filename and press "Read" to create a backup image.

Got it, thank you sir

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - Liggerstuxin - 5th Aug, 2013 11:23 AM

(14th Jun, 2013 10:07 AM)Liggerstuxin Wrote:  

Got it, thank you sir

after that then what? cause I cant find the iso or whatever file it made. is in a temp foler? do I have to write it to the hdd after I "read" it?

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - rikardo1979 - 6th Aug, 2013 12:34 AM

well dont really know what you trying to say here???
I would say that this cant be more simple.
  1. Once you downloaded the tool, it was an .zip file. So just create the folder you unpack it.
  2. Than just stick your sd card into you PC
  3. Select you card (Red No.1 arrow on picture)
  4. Select your destination where you want to save the final image (Red No.2 arrow)
  5. Name the file of your backed sd card image (Red No.3 arrow)
  6. Click Read (Red No.4 arrow)
  7. Done, once finished, you find your image where ever you set in step 4

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - IriDium - 6th Aug, 2013 03:49 AM

It's worth mentioning, when creating an image of a SD card, the size of it will be the size of the SD card. So you can't backup an 8G SD card and then try and write it to a 2G SD card (Even though the file system might be only 1G)

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - Liggerstuxin - 6th Aug, 2013 05:00 AM

(6th Aug, 2013 12:34 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  well dont really know what you trying to say here???
  1. Once you downloaded the tool, it was an .zip file. So just create the folder you unpack it.
  4. Select your destination where you want to save the final image (Red No.2 arrow)

Thank you , I'll try this again, I think I keep backing up to an unknown location. Is it an .img file? I haven't been selecting a destination folder, so does that mean its in c:/?

(6th Aug, 2013 05:00 AM)Liggerstuxin Wrote:  
(6th Aug, 2013 12:34 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  well dont really know what you trying to say here???

Thank you , I'll try this again, I think I keep backing up to an unknown location. Is it an .img file? I haven't been selecting a destination folder, so does that mean its in c:/?
When I select the destination that I want it to be save to, I only have the option to open a file.

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - IriDium - 6th Aug, 2013 05:10 AM

Depending on what you have done, if nothing, the .img file will probably be in the folder you installed Win32image in. I'm sure windoze has a search function. Try that to search for *.img files

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - Liggerstuxin - 6th Aug, 2013 07:27 AM

(6th Aug, 2013 05:10 AM)IriDium Wrote:  

Depending on what you have done, if nothing, the .img file will probably be in the folder you installed Win32image in. I'm sure windoze has a search function. Try that to search for *.img files

I don't freaking get it when I click on the folder button it only gives me the option to open a folder for image not to save anything! I even checked it out step-by-step according to this video. That's where I'm going wrong, I don't get the option to save the img,only open one... Why don't I have the option to SAVE the .img? It only lets me OPEN. Such simple steps... But step two for me is only open. What am I doing wrong? So frustrating.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=backup%20your%20sd%20card%20windows&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CD8QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtRRrxt-eJ_M&ei=kRUAUtHfEa234APXx4CIDw&usg=AFQjCNGCrxVYlAo6tBHZ9zJyKzvESUtUVQ&bvm=bv.50165853,d.dmg

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - IriDium - 6th Aug, 2013 07:07 PM

The easiest way is to click the folder option (to see where it will write the img file - probably Download) then cancel. Type the filename into box 3 then click read.

This will read the SD card and write an image for you called whatever you named it.

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - keverjeroen - 6th Aug, 2013 07:23 PM

Just type the full path in the box at arrow no. 3. For example: c:\backup\filename.img. Don't use the browse button at arrow no. 2.

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - Liggerstuxin - 8th Aug, 2013 01:44 AM

(6th Aug, 2013 07:23 PM)keverjeroen Wrote:  Just type the full path in the box at arrow no. 3. For example: c:\backup\filename.img. Don't use the browse button at arrow no. 2.

An error has occurred when attempting to get a hanldndle on the file
error 3: the system cannot find the path specified

Thanks for stickin within me

(6th Aug, 2013 07:07 PM)IriDium Wrote:  The easiest way is to click the folder option (to see where it will write the img file - probably Download) then cancel. Type the filename into box 3 then click read.

This will read the SD card and write an image for you called whatever you named it.

Thank you iridium that worked beautifully. Now when I try to write to a new ad card to verify that it's working, I get a message that says

Not enough space on disk: size 7744512 sectors
Available 7626752 sectors sector size 512

They are both 4 gig des cards.

We are halfway there! How do I make this supposedly smaller 4 gig sd card work?

Thanks guys much Appreciated so far!
I get the feeling that the data is just slightly off even though they both say that there 4 gigs. That's okay though just as long as I have a backup for my card that actually does work, that's good enough for me ,in case something goes wrong. Thank you for all your help guys

RE: Corrupted sd card/ make mirror image for back up - IriDium - 8th Aug, 2013 07:47 PM

Did you format the SD card before trying to write to it? If not, try https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ to format the card, and then try again.