Forum
black screen(after install) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: black screen(after install) (/thread-101.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

black screen(after install) - wiiguy - 23rd Dec, 2012 11:58 PM

so today i was plannign to watch soem stuff
so i turned on my tv, and saw the rpi had a black screen, so i logged in on the rpi trough ssh and saw the message
Terminal
"7\317\317\317\317\317\317\317\317\317\317': command not found -bash: .: /etc/bash_completion.d/pmount: cannot execute binary file"

and that 317 part was much longer(aka much more /317/ Tongue)
so i decided to reinstall but all i got was long text like a normal boot, but afterwards it was a black screen

attempt 2 gave me the same result Sad

RE: black screen(after install) - raspberry_pd - 24th Dec, 2012 01:59 AM

Did you set your install to use overclocking beyond the normal Xbian 840 Mhz? Reason I ask is that this may be a case of SD card corruption which has been known to happen with overclocking or 'turbo' mode. What sort of SD card are you using?

RE: black screen(after install) - wiiguy - 24th Dec, 2012 02:06 AM

(24th Dec, 2012 01:59 AM)raspberry_pd Wrote:  Did you set your install to use overclocking beyond the normal Xbian 840 Mhz? Reason I ask is that this may be a case of SD card corruption which has been known to happen with overclocking or 'turbo' mode. What sort of SD card are you using?

no overclocking has been involved
the sd card is kingmax 8gb class 6

RE: black screen(after install) - raspberry_pd - 24th Dec, 2012 02:36 AM

Hmmm, I really am reluctant to say this but from casual memory, there's been more people have problems with King* cards than any other brand. I was going to say Kingston but then re-read that yours is a KingMAX. I'm unsure if there is a difference, is there? Is Kingmax just a 'max' performance Kingston brand?

Don't forget that Xbian overclocks by default so strictly speaking, unless you have manually set the clock speed back to the default 700 Mhz, there will be overclocking involved. That said, Xbian was overclocking to 840 Mhz before any official turbo overclocking mode was supported by the Foundation, and there were no reports I am aware of about mass SD card corruption.

I can add that

/etc/bash_completion.d/pmount

is what is seems - a file to configure the BASH shell's interaction with the pmount command. It exists on my setup, with the top of the file including these lines:

# Bash Completion snippet for the pmount command
# Copyright © Eduard Bloch, 2009-2011
#
# Supports most (all?) of the possible option sets of version 0.9.18 except of
# too many device/directory arguments, the charset search can also be improved

I know that may not be much help to you though.

There is a list of several SD cards tested for performance here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Performance#Results_5

I'm not sure it means anything but there is only one Kingmax card on that list and it's a microSDHC card at that (presumably using an adaptor).

RE: black screen(after install) - wiiguy - 24th Dec, 2012 02:41 AM

well it is a kingmax card yes(wich si not kingston) it is no micro sd

what i meant with "no overclocking involved" that i did not touch the config file or the rpi

i will soon buy a other sd card and then try again Smile

i do find it weird that the card just stoped working on the rpi, on the pc it just works fine

Re: black screen(after install) - rikardo1979 - 24th Dec, 2012 02:57 AM

this is RPi, so if it works on PC not always mean is good for RPi
i have thrown 2 kingston cards to bin Smile and said never ever again Kingston

RE: black screen(after install) - wiiguy - 24th Dec, 2012 03:14 AM

(24th Dec, 2012 02:57 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  this is RPi, so if it works on PC not always mean is good for RPi

so any advice on wich sd card i should buy next ? Tongue

Re: RE: black screen(after install) - rikardo1979 - 24th Dec, 2012 03:18 AM

not easy to tell as there is so many out there Wink
but good start would be to have a look in our Wiki for confirmed HW which is tested and 100% working not only on RPi but also with XBian itself Wink
http://wiki.xbian.org/index.php?title=Recommended_and_supported_hardware

(24th Dec, 2012 03:14 AM)wiiguy Wrote:  
(24th Dec, 2012 02:57 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  this is RPi, so if it works on PC not always mean is good for RPi

so any advice on wich sd card i should buy next ? Tongue

RE: black screen(after install) - raspberry_pd - 24th Dec, 2012 09:54 AM

(24th Dec, 2012 03:14 AM)wiiguy Wrote:  so any advice on wich sd card i should buy next ? Tongue

I have been, it seems, very fortunate that I have used a few Sandisk cards and never had a problem. If I'd been unlucky enough to have bought a Kingston, for example, I think I'd have been quite frustrated with the whole Raspi experience!

I've used class 4, 6 and 10 Sandisk cards and 4 and 8GB cards without problems. Oh and no, I do not work for Sandisk Smile

RE: black screen(after install) - BartOtten - 24th Dec, 2012 10:38 AM

Mine died yesterday (had some trouble to make the card work again). Running XBian from USB-stick or disk seems to be a more stable option Smile. Look like a nice todo for >1.0.

https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/180

RE: black screen(after install) - CurlyMo - 25th Dec, 2012 11:23 PM

My USB stick experiences are not that good, mostly slowed things down.

Re: black screen(after install) - rikardo1979 - 25th Dec, 2012 11:30 PM

agreed with Curly here +1
keep in mind that every USB device connected to USB drain off the power from RPi and is always best to avoids this Wink
so I will stay on SD card for sure and always recommend to use the SD card

RE: black screen(after install) - BartOtten - 27th Dec, 2012 08:33 PM

* BartOtten is just unlucky with SDcards.....I use a powered hub though for the USBdisk. So it won't drain my Pi Big Grin

Re: black screen(after install) - rikardo1979 - 27th Dec, 2012 08:48 PM

get one of the cards mentioned on our wiki what has confirmed compatibility and you be fine Big Grin

RE: black screen(after install) - udrnovsek - 8th Jan, 2013 05:11 AM

I solved my problems with sd card corruption this way:
- install image on sd card
- unplug from laptop and plug again (sd card has been mounted automatically)
- edit config.txt / delete all settings refer to freq. so this lines remain in config.txt

disable_overscan=1
gpu_mem_256=100
gpu_mem_512=100

Now i don+t have no problems with starting XBIAN.
But i need some time to figure out what was the truble.