Forum
black screen(after install) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: black screen(after install) (/thread-101.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: black screen(after install) - pumo - 9th Jan, 2013 03:55 AM

I have same black screen problem.
I did install alpha4 couple days ago, configured it to work. couple reboots and it did work.
I shutdown from xbmc shutdown like normal..
now it starts with blackscreen.. ssh works.
very strange thing is that sd card is broken or so corrupted that it wont mount in my linux laptop or even windows7 laptop.
is this sdcard killing bug or what?

RE: black screen(after install) - b0x - 9th Jan, 2013 07:20 AM

I've tried both alpha 3 and 4, both resulted in corruption and failure to ever load up even once.
Only version I ever was able to load was the pre 1 version. MCE remote was a mess.

Have 8gb class 10 uhs 1 Sandisk sdcards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171659

RE: black screen(after install) - Koenkk - 9th Jan, 2013 07:26 AM

Have you tried the latest XBian 1.0 Alpha 4 image? We updated it yesterday, this should solve the corruption issues.

RE: black screen(after install) - b0x - 9th Jan, 2013 07:33 AM

yes. saw that a 2nd release of alpha 4 was out and gave it a whirl. made the sd card around midnight pst. tested it today. no go.

Re: black screen(after install) - rikardo1979 - 9th Jan, 2013 07:41 AM

this may be a problem with your power supply
please unplug all devices from USB ports if you have some and try again
also can you post specification of your PSU

RE: black screen(after install) - b0x - 9th Jan, 2013 07:47 AM

htc 5v 1a.

redling latest for good measure and will retest without usb devices plugged in. had mce ir header and wireless keyboard mouse receiver.

well... with no ethernet, usb devices etc. have no way to control the pi. so to power down i've had to just pull the cord. on reboot twice now its resulted in corruption. does at least boot up the one time now. going to attempt booting with ethernet and keyboard receiver plugged in and see if soft rebooting can be handled.

soft reboot stalled out at - controller never released inhibit bits. timed out sending r/w cmd command, card status 0x400d00.
pulling cord again. if it blows up i'll give up til the next release.
same stop point. at least the kernel didn't panic i guess...
done for now

RE: black screen(after install) - BartOtten - 11th Jan, 2013 10:23 PM

1.) Seems like your SDcard could use an low level format. Wrong bits are likely to be caused by the power unplugs. As the bits are out of reach for the installer (aka they are not overwritten) the card remains troublesome.

2.) There is no problem in using Ethernet.

3.) For me problems after installation were resolved by unplugging my USB disk before installing. Seems the spin up caused to much powerdip for the Pi.

4.) Unplugging the Pi power to shut it down WILL result in a corrupt install as the write-buffer of the Pi won't be flushed/synced to the SDcard. We can not disable the cache as it is needed to write data in a good way to the SDcard. Without it the SDcard would die much sooner because of the many writes. Will open an issue to investigate our options.

So, conclusion: Low level format your card as it is in a unusable state right now. Unplug everything exept one thing to control your Pi and try again. Keyboard and/or Ethernet is favorite. Never just remove the powersupply.

A soft reboot should not lead to problems once you've had the first run after install. Provided the patch for extra syncing the buffer myself so I am pretty sure of it ;-)

RE: black screen(after install) - fantsypants - 24th Jan, 2013 08:10 AM

Im having this same issue, the red light comes on with a brief green light and nothing happens to the tv. The usb cable came from the same store as the RPI so its not that, the SD card is a sandisk 16gb.

(RESOLVED - It was a SD CARD compat issues - Sandisk ultra 16gb SDHC 30mb/S)

Re: RE: black screen(after install) - rikardo1979 - 24th Jan, 2013 08:27 AM

(24th Jan, 2013 08:10 AM)fantsypants Wrote:  Im having this same issue, the red light comes on with a brief green light and nothing happens to the tv. The usb cable came from the same store as the RPI so its not that, the SD card is a sandisk 16gb.

and you sure u have installed XBian on the card correctly ? (sorry just checking)

RE: black screen(after install) - fantsypants - 26th Jan, 2013 08:10 AM

And thanks to the people in the IRC channel for the help and support, good bunch of peeps!

RE: black screen(after install) - kahenya - 14th Mar, 2013 05:31 AM

(26th Jan, 2013 08:10 AM)fantsypants Wrote:  And thanks to the people in the IRC channel for the help and support, good bunch of peeps!

What was the solution? Please post.

Same problem.

black screen(after install) - Koenkk - 14th Mar, 2013 06:02 AM

@kahenya
(24th Jan, 2013 08:10 AM)fantsypants Wrote:  (RESOLVED - It was a SD CARD compat issues - Sandisk ultra 16gb SDHC 30mb/S)

RE: black screen(after install) - kahenya - 14th Mar, 2013 06:50 AM

I'm already on my 3rd SD Card. First was a Silicon Power, then a Kingston, and now a Sandisk and unfortunately, I am running out of choices here. Not much variety. What should I buy that just works without too many hustles? By the way, my Sandisk 4GB SDHC is able to run Openelec without a single hitch. Problem is that Openelec does not allow me to fiddle with the underlying Linux. Bummer.

black screen(after install) - Koenkk - 14th Mar, 2013 07:20 AM

Do the leds on your pi light up in a specific pattern?

RE: black screen(after install) - kahenya - 14th Mar, 2013 07:33 AM

Red light goes on, green light blinks once and that's it. Red light remains perpetually on.
On screen, screen shows reddish screen, then goes blank.