Forum
Sitecom WL-345 on Xbian - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Sitecom WL-345 on Xbian (/thread-1011.html)

Sitecom WL-345 on Xbian - RoRoo - 14th Jun, 2013 06:49 PM

Since my powerline adapters died on me, I wanted to check out the WiFi capabilities of my Pi/Xbian

I managed to dig up an old dongle (Sitecom WL-345 v1 300N). I didn't see it on the wiki. So I don't think it's natively supported in the build.

After a bit of googling, I've found this page: http://wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb
and it says I can install the firmware-ralink package.

When I do a apt-cache search firmware-ralink on the Pi, I get a hit. So it's in the default apt databases..

Is it really as simple as apt-get install firmware-ralink and then it works? Or do I need something more?

RE: Sitecom WL-345 on Xbian - Fred - 15th Jun, 2013 05:06 AM

These things are to hardware specific for us to answer. It's an old dongle and therefore nothing is known in combination with the RPi. I would say just trial and error, search the web and do some more trial and error. If you don't want this just buy a new dongle, but there is no fun to that Wink.

If you are stuck somewhere and getting error messages you can always post them here and someone might be able to help, but without any additional information we can't do much.

RE: Sitecom WL-345 on Xbian - mk01 - 15th Jun, 2013 01:22 PM

(14th Jun, 2013 06:49 PM)RoRoo Wrote:  When I do a apt-cache search firmware-ralink on the Pi, I get a hit. So it's in the default apt databases..

Is it really as simple as apt-get install firmware-ralink and then it works? Or do I need something more?

check "dmesg"'s output. you will see whether driver recognized the dongle and you are mising .fw file, or didn't recognize at all.

if 1) install the package you have searched for.

mk

RE: Sitecom WL-345 on Xbian - RoRoo - 17th Jun, 2013 01:51 AM

Just got home, plugged it in. and it got detected immediatly. No drivers needed to be installed..
So all the fuss for nothing Smile