Forum
XBian screen goes back doesn't recover - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: XBian screen goes back doesn't recover (/thread-1014.html)

XBian screen goes back doesn't recover - malibu - 16th Jun, 2013 11:28 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to import my media library, however I constantly find my screen goes black - after an undefined period of time and I'm unable to recover control of the Pi.

I was doing this over wireless using an ASUS USB-N10 USB Adapter, but I'm now trying over an ethernet cable.

Once my Pi goes into its black state, I lose all control of it - either via bluetooth keyboard, or yatse.

My external hard drive is a 3TB powered WD drive. My current attempt is being done without a wireless dongle, and the only usb connection is the hard drive.

I'm wondering whether power would be the issue ?

my current charger is a 1.0 Amp charger but I do have a 2.1 amp Belkin charger on order.

On several occasions after removing power to the xbian and rebooting, I've found it no longer boots to xbian and goes straight to a black screen, on these occasions I've found the only solution is to reflash my SD card and start again... which is becoming quite frustrating.

Ultimately I want the pi to be running 24x7, but at the moment at best I get a few hours out of it - while scraping.

Screen resolution: 1920x1080@60Hz - Full screen
Operating system: Linux 3.6.11+ #3 PREEMPT Tue Jan 8 22:27:29 CET armv6l
XBian version: 1.0a5
XBMC: 12.2 Git:20130502-32b1a5e (Compiled May 3 2013)

EDIT: And now Pi has gone dead after about 15 mins of scraping. (with only powered HDD connected and using ethernet cable).

Unable to connect via a terminal.

Will reboot, and leave it running without doing any scraping and see if it stays up.

RE: XBian screen goes back doesn't recover - rikardo1979 - 16th Jun, 2013 05:30 PM

For the RPi, scraping the library is the hardest, CPU demanding thing to do and can cause an issue.
My suggestion is to scrape all your files on the computer where all the fanarts, etc will be stored in movies folders so the RPi will not have to do this when scan into library.
You can use software like FIlebot or similar

RE: XBian screen goes back doesn't recover - mk01 - 17th Jun, 2013 01:10 AM

but the scrapping is very good stability test. and your setup failed... too high overclock or too much power consumption, or the AC is not of best quality.

RE: XBian screen goes back doesn't recover - malibu - 17th Jun, 2013 08:22 AM

(16th Jun, 2013 05:30 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  For the RPi, scraping the library is the hardest, CPU demanding thing to do and can cause an issue.
My suggestion is to scrape all your files on the computer where all the fanarts, etc will be stored in movies folders so the RPi will not have to do this when scan into library.
You can use software like FIlebot or similar

Thanks for the feedback.

I had previously scraped all the media on my pc (using XBMC) and used the XBMC export function to place .nfo files and art into each individual movie folder. My reading of XBMC suggested if the nfo files existed they would be used rather than hitting the net, although it appeared looking at a sample of the nfo files that their references to cover art/fan art etc that they were still showing external URLs.

Is there a guide somewhere that I can follow to ensure the scraping is occurring as I had hoped.

I haven't done any overclocking.

RE: XBian screen goes back doesn't recover - mk01 - 17th Jun, 2013 01:30 PM

there are many at xbmc site. but if you wan't to have "consolidated" view on (at least) two xbmc installations, use a shared movie/music database and scrape like before, on your pc.

and easiest way how to be sure xbmc scrapes the right info is create .nfo file inside folder with movie, with name (before extension) exactly as the folder and without any structure just put http link inside which points to supported site (xbmc/scrappers - imdv, tvdb, trak.tv etc).

I don't know how many files you scrap during day, but with the low failure rate of xbmc scrappers makes no sense to develop hi-tech workflow for own use. you see very fast that info is wrong and with remote in hand the reload info is fast (for manual repair).

anyhow, if you export your video library from xbmc (internal function in settings) and choose individual files for export, you will see that xbmc is doing exactly what you are asking for. so if you don't want shard db, scrape on one pc, export library and scrape on the other device. it will take naturally the existing (by other XBMC exported) info.

but makes no sense to do it like this. only if you pc is not connected via network and you are for instance traveling between locations with small usb disk. then it can be very convenient, because with each data file you always take also info how the other xbmc has catalogued it.

if you choose to go the most complicated way like using external programs, ... for your happiness try xbmc own (or add ons) solutions. there are addons which are doing what Richard is saying automatically inside XBMC.

RE: XBian screen goes back doesn't recover - malibu - 17th Jun, 2013 01:37 PM

Thanks,

I had done the export from XBMC on PC, but got the impression this info wasn't being used by the Xbian scraper. I might do some local testing to confirm either way (ie put a modified set of art in a folder for a given movie and see what gets imported on xbian.

Appreciate all the help. Think this issue can be tagged as resolved as power usage/scraping load on xbian seems to be my issue.

RE: XBian screen goes back doesn't recover - mk01 - 17th Jun, 2013 02:31 PM

check add on in xbmc called artwork organizer. on demand or during idle times it will export according what you described under movie dir / .actors, .fanart etc ....