Forum
SSH & Torrent password - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: SSH & Torrent password (/thread-1017.html)

SSH & Torrent password - Altin - 18th Jun, 2013 06:13 AM

When I set up my Raspberry Pi with XBian I installed the Transmission bittorrent client. In logging this with the browser I had to enter my username & password (default). Afterwards I SSH'ed into XBian & changed the default 'xbian' password but I found that the Transmission client still uses the old password when I log in from a browser on another computer.

Is this a security concern at all, even though the SSH password has been changed to a much longer & stronger one? Also how would I change the Transmission password?

What I would like to do really is (assuming there is no security concern) remove the log in requirements from accessing Transmission across my home LAN. I dont have port forwarding set up (yet) on my router so it is only internal traffic that will be logging onto it.

RE: SSH & Torrent password - Fred - 18th Jun, 2013 06:27 AM

SSH into your raspberry and enter this in the command prompt
Terminal

nano /usr/local/etc/transmission/settings.json

Search for the password setting
Code:
"rpc-password": "raspberry"
change it and save the file and exit the editor, then restart transmission.
Terminal

sudo /etc/init.d/transmission restart

RE: SSH & Torrent password - Altin - 26th Jun, 2013 05:46 AM

In settings.json there is a line saying, "rpc-password": "{2e44f839363cc3a69b062ca85d57cfeb0a91d707HTDFU50G", which I presume is my hashed password. I reset this to "rpc-password": "newpassword" but when I restarted Transmission the line reverted to what it was.

There is another line saying, "rpc-authentication-required": true, but even if I comment this out using # at the start, once I restart Transmission the # disappears & the line is as it was before I edited it. Also, replacing 'true' with 'false' doesnt last past a restart. Is there anything else I can try?

RE: SSH & Torrent password - Fred - 26th Jun, 2013 01:37 PM

Stop transmission first with:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/transmission stop

Then change the settins file and start transmissoon again.