Forum
[PROBLEM] freezing hi-def movies - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Video and Audio (/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] freezing hi-def movies (/thread-1025.html)

freezing hi-def movies - scard - 22nd Jun, 2013 01:49 AM

hi guys, i just bought myself a rasp pi and installed xbian alpha 5 on a sdcard.
Xbian runs relatively smooth, although crashes occasionally (something to do with cec plugin i think)

my problem is, when i try to play movies which i have added to the library from my 1tb ext hdd ...it plays for 5-15 seconds and then freezes as if it was streaming. This forces me to press stop which returns me to the main menu, however if i wait, it returns to the main menu itself. Essentially i cannot use the pi for what i originally intended - playing movies lol.

build - latest
connected via hdmi - 50hz at 1080p. / vsync decided by software /
wireless remote/trackpad
xbian on 32gb sdcard 10
local media - 1tb external ntfs hdd (usb0)
file format -mkv
overclock setting - xbian
xbmc displaying at 720p

streaming files seems to work, no problem thankfully, however it would be great if my local files would also work.

thanks for all your hard work guys.. much appreciated
scard

Re: freezing hi-def movies - rikardo1979 - 22nd Jun, 2013 02:21 AM

search for power issue and connecting external USB devices only through powered USB hub
start from my signature and sticky thread.
this is well discussed on our forum
-thx-

RE: freezing hi-def movies - scard - 22nd Jun, 2013 02:49 AM

sorry forgot to mention, usb device is connected to and powered by a seperate usb hub which is connected to the pi. the pi is also receiving a seperate power supply of its own.

an ideas?

Re: freezing hi-def movies - rikardo1979 - 22nd Jun, 2013 03:08 AM

can you post your version of XBian and XBMC you using? See my signature

RE: freezing hi-def movies - scard - 22nd Jun, 2013 06:18 AM

(22nd Jun, 2013 03:08 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  can you post your version of XBian and XBMC you using? See my signature

Sorry.

XBMC 12.0
Xbian 1.0a5
connected via ethernet (LAN)
usb connections - 1x hub device, 1x IR control sensor

When i put XBMC into debug mode and tried to re-simulate the issue, the movie wouldn't even play?? "failed to play, check debug log"

LOG
http://pastebin.com/rQbyR0Wd

Re: freezing hi-def movies - rikardo1979 - 22nd Jun, 2013 06:31 AM

please can you pastebin the log, and remove it from your post.
Thanks

RE: freezing hi-def movies - scard - 22nd Jun, 2013 09:01 AM

(22nd Jun, 2013 06:31 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  please can you pastebin the log, and remove it from your post.
Thanks

Ok. So I've been tinkering around - It does look like power issues

it seems that there is buffering/freezing issues when i play HD/DTS content off external HDD via a self powered USB hub. I have tried another USB hub with the same result. If i transfer the content to a thumb drive, it works. That is a real shame, because the project is now kind of useless to me lol...I wasn't aware that the pi is unable to handle externally powered, portable HDD that isn't a thumbstick

Does anyone know if there is a USB HUB capable of fixing this issue?

Thank you.