Forum
Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Releases (/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread (/thread-1031.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - mk01 - 2nd Jul, 2013 07:31 AM

yes you can. I was not playing with versioning much, so maybe not all packages will be offered to update. so do:

apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get -s upgrade (to see what's is offered to upgrade).

critical update was to
1) xbian-package-initramfs-tools
the hotplugging stuff related to xbmc is related to
2) xbian-package-xbmc, xbian-update, xbian-package-usbmount
the zetoconf stuff (browsing networks) is going down to random generator and frandom
3) xbian-package-kernel

other small updates to
4) xbian-package-zram-swap (related only to ext4 filesystem), xbian-package-splash (cosmetic issues, nice to have), xbian-package-config-shell (nice to have)

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - reab - 2nd Jul, 2013 03:45 PM

Yesterday the cache was stuck at <=1MB and 100% so I assumed cache was too low.
(I mean o key while video plays; third line)
Today cache started rising while at 100% and frozen video. I stopped the video at cache 47MB.

After I apt-get clean/update/upgraded the situation is the same. The updating was a clean process!

I have seen this problem before long time ago on my xbox but was solved in a later release.
When I get home I'll make a debug log and look for clues and perhaps a video of what it looks like.

No other tuxbox users?

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - niftydude - 2nd Jul, 2013 04:51 PM

Hi Guys,
I've been a long time user of xbian. I've loved it so far. Like others on this thread - I am having massive performance issues with this new beta, slow gui, bad video playback etc... I have the early rpi model with only 256mb ram. I have installed it from scratch.

I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet, but I think the new performance problems come from having a swap file on a btrfs partition. Swap performance is going to be extremely bad on a copy-on-write file system like btrfs. (Don't take my word for it, more reading here: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Does_btrfs_support_swap_files.3F )

Swap on an sd card is generally a bad idea, but if we need so much memory that we need swap, then we should create a new partition on the sd card for it, and not have the /var/swapfile file in the btrfs file system that xbian has now.

Thanks for the great work so far!

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - ilgrank - 2nd Jul, 2013 05:22 PM

@mk01
Just to clarify.. to help in the debugging, I should install vanilla 1.0B1, then apt-get the update (hotfix)?

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - alfredo - 2nd Jul, 2013 05:39 PM

I'm trying to run xbian on a 1GB sdcard, but mounting /usr and /var from a 2GB USB stick. This configuration used to work with alpha5, where I put the relevant entries for /usr and /var in /etc/fstab.

However, with beta1, the same configuration fails, with xbian remaining stuck at boot on the "system init" splash screen.

Am I missing something, some additional configuration? Or the current initrd does not honor fstab? Or maybe btrfs is getting in the way? Thanks!

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - raspberry_pd - 2nd Jul, 2013 05:48 PM

(2nd Jul, 2013 03:14 AM)ilgrank Wrote:  
Quote:You can work around it if you know your network details. Just go to "Add network location ..." and manually enter the details.

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.
My objective tho is to let the devs understand a new issue has popped up since the 1.0A5 release, as I've been told no one else is having this problem (between me and you, it is 2 people, and I think there's more)

Thanks!
Fair enough, I understand. I just threw the workaround advice in there in case anyone experiencing this problem really wants their media back. I agree it's a problem that should be fixed more comprehensively. I'm pretty sure I've seen the same problem in the past.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - mk01 - 2nd Jul, 2013 05:52 PM

(2nd Jul, 2013 05:39 PM)alfredo Wrote:  Am I missing something, some additional configuration? Or the current initrd does not honor fstab? Or maybe btrfs is getting in the way? Thanks!

generally answer, there is no change it that logic for beta1. beta1 even mounts /home as different subvolume, what is the same as your /var or /usr.

you told very little about how you tried this. downloaded image of beta1, copied /usr and /var to the other card, changed /etc/fstab and rebooted?

if so, try without "splash" on cmdline. at the end of initramfs stage, there is splash re-run from /rootfs (real root partition as specified on cmdline), what can be problem, because your /usr is not within this /rootfs. so splash won't get know about rootfs change and will stay on screen for ever.

so disable it and tell how it's going.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - raspberry_pd - 2nd Jul, 2013 05:54 PM

(2nd Jul, 2013 04:26 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(2nd Jul, 2013 03:48 AM)ilgrank Wrote:  My intention was to try to contribute and install the hotfix to further test the SMB issue,but If I can be more useful with the 'plain' 1.0B1, no problem, as I've the image already in local ready for a fresh-reimaging.
btw: what we now need, is all those people who reported and have issues or consider as issues for them, to grab the packages and test. otherwise it makes no progress. If we distribute to the same people as before, no benefit, because the testgroup found no issues already for beta1.

mk

Ok, what do we have to do? Sorry but I am only able to access these forums on an erratic basis. I would rather spend time testing that reading. Please provide instructions for how to upgrade to your updated packages, even if that's just a link to another post already explaining it.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - mk01 - 2nd Jul, 2013 05:54 PM

(2nd Jul, 2013 05:22 PM)ilgrank Wrote:  @mk01
Just to clarify.. to help in the debugging, I should install vanilla 1.0B1, then apt-get the update (hotfix)?

yes. but use mine repo, i don't know is koen already merged to his one and yesterday there were the wrong files.

(2nd Jul, 2013 04:51 PM)niftydude Wrote:  Hi Guys,
I've been a long time user of xbian. I've loved it so far. Like others on this thread - I am having massive performance issues with this new beta, slow gui, bad video playback etc... I have the early rpi model with only 256mb ram. I have installed it from scratch.

ha, this is report I like. even with background study self performed. i like it ! Smile

yes, you are right. that's why CoW is turned off for the swapfile. you can check that with "lsattr /var/swapfile". should look like:

---------------C /var/swapfile

if it's so then let's try the partition: shrink the btrfs, shrink the partition, create new one, mkswap it and activate swap. let's see about the results.

if you confirm it's cure, I'm definitelly willing to put it into some early updates (actually I had this dilemma long ago, but noone was able to discuss on this level, nevertheless testing it).

what is your swap usage during operations?
(swapon -sa).

it's should not be so much. what you forgot to analyze is the impact of btrfs on sqlite db files inside .xbmc folder. let's focus on the swap first, let's look at the sqlite later.

mk Wrote:
(2nd Jul, 2013 05:54 PM)raspberry_pd Wrote:  mk

Ok, what do we have to do? Sorry but I am only able to access these forums on an erratic basis. I would rather spend time testing that reading. Please provide instructions for how to upgrade to your updated packages, even if that's just a link to another post already explaining it.

http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1031-post-12249.html#pid12249
+ some comments
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1031-post-12268.html#pid12268

there is the address, you can use it as deb repo in sources:
"deb http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com wheezy main"

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - reab - 2nd Jul, 2013 06:33 PM

tuxbox HD .ts streaming....
A bit of an old thread but is it possible the Pi falls back to software decoding?...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95495

Will the debug log show this?

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - mk01 - 2nd Jul, 2013 06:38 PM

.ts is most probably MPEG1 so yes (assumption)

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - niftydude - 2nd Jul, 2013 06:42 PM

Quote:yes, you are right. that's why CoW is turned off for the swapfile. you can check that with "lsattr /var/swapfile". should look like:

---------------C /var/swapfile

Hi MK, unfortunately turning CoW off isn't enough - from the btrfs wiki:
"Just making a file NOCOW does not help, swap file support relies on one function that btrfs intentionally does not implement due to potential corruptions."

I'm at work now, but I'll try creating a swap partition and changing the zram script to use it when I get home later tonight.

You are right - I haven't looked at btrfs and the sqlite db file performance to see if that's causing a big slowdown as well. One problem at a time is enough for me Big Grin

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - mk01 - 2nd Jul, 2013 06:46 PM

(2nd Jul, 2013 06:42 PM)niftydude Wrote:  You are right - I haven't looked at btrfs and the sqlite db file performance to see if that's causing a big slowdown as well. One problem at a time is enough for me Big Grin

perfect. thanks. if you would need help with the resize and part create, et me know. but I have the feeling you will manage Wink

just a remark, be sure to create the 3rd partition (for swap) before restart. if not, initramfs will resize again back. with the 3rd partition existing, initramfs will not resize, somehow I was having this option in mind for future - or use "noresizesd" parameter in cmdline.txt)

mk

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - niftydude - 3rd Jul, 2013 12:04 AM

Hey mk,
I resized the btrfs partition, added a 256 mb linux-swap partition at the end of the sd card, edited /etc/fstab to mount that swap partition, and edited /etc/init/zram-swap.conf so that it doesn't create of mount /var/swapfile.

Thanks for letting me know about the resize on reboot thing - it would've taking me ages to figure out what was going on!

This seems to be working quite nicely!
I haven't seen the slowdowns and hangs that I was getting with swap set up the other way.

Also - using pvr to stream high def 1080p video channels from my mythtv server is now working! Cool
This would also hang with swap the other way.

Note that I am just using the original beta for this - I haven't installed any of your other hotfixes yet.

I really think we need to make this change! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I'll let it run overnight and try it again in the morning to see if anything bad happens, but I think we are good.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - raspberry_pd - 3rd Jul, 2013 12:50 AM

(2nd Jul, 2013 06:38 PM)mk01 Wrote:  .ts is most probably MPEG1 so yes (assumption)
Do you mean MPEG2?