Forum
Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Releases (/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread (/thread-1031.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - zilexa - 1st Nov, 2013 06:54 PM

My issue still remains Huh
I did a clean install of beta 1.1 using the XBian Windows installer. No updates, no other modifications just clean install on 512mb rpi. Only added my TV Shows folder as a source, did not scan to library, did not install addons. Tested a few old episodes that used to play perfect. They freeze, each freeze last 10-20 seconds. and it happens 4-5 times a minute.

All I can think of, something is wrong with my hdd. but when attached to a Windows laptop, I can play everything from it, using xbmc on the laptop.
I tried running fsck but it says error 2:
Terminal

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
fsck: fsck.ntfs: not found
fsck: error 2 while executing fsck.ntfs for /dev/sda1

Windows said it needed to fix the drive, I let it run and it fixed the drive, lost some files with incorrect Windows filenames (NCIS: Los Angeles). But the issue remains.

Any help much, much appreciated. If I can get this fixed, I will have 1 raspberry available for testing new beta or alpha versions.

New logs after clean install using Xbian installer and nothing updated/no addons/no library, played a few files:

xbmc log

dmesg

(31st Oct, 2013 06:42 PM)zilexa Wrote:  I had a perfectly stable XBian 1.0 beta 1.1 running for as long as beta 1.1 was released. Came back from 3 wks holiday, (RPi was on all the time, downloading tv shows via flexget), I unplugged the USB NTFS harddrive (static mount to /media/usb) to copy my holiday photos using a Windows laptop and also a macbook. Now I plug it back in the RPi, run a Library Update since there are so many new episodes. One day later, I try to playback a non-720p episode, just hdtv x264 nothing special.

issue: screen freezes every 5-10 seconds, and it freezes for seconds.. sometimes it mentions "buffering". I never had this issue before with any RPi I installed. Before my holiday, this never happened. I also tried the bigger 720p episodes, same issue. There are no other services running. Flexget is just a task that runs 4 times between 0.00 and 9AM. Transmission is active but has no downloads. I checked CPU usage with TOP: only XBMC has CPU usage, 30-36%. (if I check CPU usage in XBMC it is 100%, is this normal?).

I tried rebooting (via XBMC and SSH) and even did a shutdown in XBMC and waited till only the red led was burning, disconnected power, reconnected. Same issue.

Below my log files.. advice is welcome. I have an ISO backup image.. with xbian and flexget installed but then I have to rescan my library.. not looking forward to that. Also I would prefer to figure out the cause.

dmesg log (filesystem error line 208)
xbmc log (line 356 = hit play, line 396 is renderer error)

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - mk01 - 1st Nov, 2013 06:58 PM

(1st Nov, 2013 06:54 PM)zilexa Wrote:  All I can think of, something is wrong with my hdd. but when attached to a Windows laptop, I can play everything from it, using xbmc on the laptop.
I tried running fsck but it says error 2:

there is not much options left, if hdd works 100% while connected to other PC, but doesn't with RPI anymore, it must be cable from RPI - HUB - HDD, or AC going bad which you use to power up RPI / HDD. or a combination.

nothing more - as you already tested the other options.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - zilexa - 1st Nov, 2013 07:31 PM

Well you did help me because I never suspected a cable or hardware issue.

I just added my Win laptop (wifi 11g) as smb share and played a 720p mkv on my rpi (connected via lan to wifirouter). Plays fine.

I just mounted the ntfs usb drive using:
UUID=myuuid /media/usb0 ntfs-3g defaults,noatime,nodiratime,async,big_writes 0 0

issue still there.
Is there a way to test if the linux system is having read issues?
I actually suspect an ntfs filesystem error, although Windows already fixed the drive. I cannot format the drive since it contains 450GB of data..

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - mk01 - 1st Nov, 2013 07:46 PM

try one more thing.

umount the drive, remove from RPI. edit /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf file :

edit line starting with MOUNTOPTIONS= - change "sync" to "async"

report back

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - zilexa - 1st Nov, 2013 08:05 PM

Done. Now I see no contents in my harddrive in /media/UUID-of-the-hdd/ and also /media/usb0 is empty.

via ssh I tried sudo mount /dev/sda1, said it was already mounted. Checked back in XBMC and suddenly I could see all the contents.
Playback issue remains. it also takes a long time to start playing btw, longer than usual even for simple 175MB files which they do not stutter or freeze. Issue only seems to be with a little bit higher bitrate (like 720p tv rips).

I freed enough space on my laptop to copy the entire usb drive on it. Will do that now and completely format the drive as exfat (need compatibility with Windows, exfat is a bit more compatible then ntfs hopefully, since os x also supports it). Then copy everything back and report here. Will take some time..

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - mk01 - 1st Nov, 2013 08:48 PM

fingers crossed

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - zilexa - 2nd Nov, 2013 06:25 AM

I found the issue:
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-accessories/New-Link-4-Port-USB-Hub-%28USB-2.0-with-Mains-Adaptor%29

This hub feeds the RPi and the harddrive. The moment I connect the RPi, the harddrive softly spins down a little.
The hub worked fine for just a few months. Not any more now.

An old blackberry charger powers the RPi with the harddrive still connected to the hub, video plays fine now!
Now I have to install and configure everything.. deleted my backup because I thought that one was also faulty. very annoying.. I blame ModMyPi.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - IriDium - 2nd Nov, 2013 06:41 AM

I'm not going to "dis" the supplier but I have had two Hubs from this supplier - in their credit, they did replace the first one with another but that failed after a while with various USB connection errors. Needless to say both hubs are now in the bin.

I bought a Belkin at twice the price and I haven;t had any problems since.

Cheap is not always the way to go.

(2nd Nov, 2013 06:25 AM)zilexa Wrote:  I found the issue:
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-accessories/New-Link-4-Port-USB-Hub-%28USB-2.0-with-Mains-Adaptor%29

This hub feeds the RPi and the harddrive. The moment I connect the RPi, the harddrive softly spins down a little.
The hub worked fine for just a few months. Not any more now.

An old blackberry charger powers the RPi with the harddrive still connected to the hub, video plays fine now!
Now I have to install and configure everything.. deleted my backup because I thought that one was also faulty. very annoying.. I blame ModMyPi.

@zilexa Blame yourself. The USB will only provide at most 500ma. The RPi needs at least 700ma at startup, as has been stated everywhere, the RPi needs a dedicated power supply of at least 1amp, so I'm not surprised you are having problems.

I also guess that the HDD is not self powered.

Check the amperage of the Blackberry charger and I think you will find it is above 500ma

So error ID 10 T.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - zilexa - 2nd Nov, 2013 07:01 AM

Actually I did do my homework. I called the supplier before buying 2 hubs and asked specifically about the output per port and described how I would use the setup. She even emailed me a complete drawing of how to connect the harddrive and the RPi to the same hub and confirmed both should get up to 900mA each. Still have that picture in my email. Then I received the two and one did not work. One of the supplied USB cables was bad. They replaced it and my setup worked for 6 months. I still have one working setup at someone else house. identical to this one. No idea why this specific hub suddenly does not deliver enough power.

I will contact the supplier next week and they'll probably send a new one but I prefer to go for a Belkin one as they are at discount now in a store nearby untill tomorrow.

Blackberry charger output is 700mA, that is the reason I use this one as fast charger for my phone Smile and I also used it to test RPis in the past.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - zilexa - 2nd Nov, 2013 06:34 PM

Is it possible to change USBMOUNT.CONF in such a way that it will create mountpoints to symlinks which name contains only LABEL and not UUID?

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - mk01 - 2nd Nov, 2013 07:42 PM

@zilexa, yes this is fully configurable in Beta2 even from XBMC.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Exnor - 4th Nov, 2013 12:04 PM

(31st Oct, 2013 10:11 PM)mk01 Wrote:  I created 1.2hotfix for Beta1.1 XBian installations which will fix the initscripts mountall problem. also ssh is starting correctly.

Prerequisite is xbian-update1.0-1.1 installed.

This 1.2 hotfix can be installed anytime (before the debians update, after, even after initscripts update will fail and upgrade process interrupted. If the last is the case, after install 1.2 hotfix just continue with upgrade "apt-get upgrade").

availability is there: http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/others/xbian-update1.0-1.2.deb
installation
Code:
sudo -i; cd /tmp; wget http://xbian.brantje.com/devel/others/xbian-update1.0-1.2.deb; dpkg -i xbian-update1.0-1.2.deb

I would like to push it to official repo, then the installation would be easier - through apt-get with other regular updates. If I get confirmed it solves the two issues, will post it to public APT.

Running Beta1.1 (and i really dont know or don't understand how to "upgrade" to "beta2"...)

mk01 once again kudos and thanks Smile

I was getting the initscripts error (again) and this hotfix just solved.

I rebooted the Pi, got and apply the hotfix and reboot again.
Did FSTRIM to "/" (dont know if the OS does this auto or not) then a apt-clean + autoclean + update and finally upgrade and its ok now Smile

Everything running fine now.

Pi board B 512MiB + OC @ 950Mhz (ARM core)
Copy of my CLI session in case it helps

Terminal

root@xbian2:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
apt apt-utils base-files dmsetup libapt-inst1.5 libapt-pkg-dev
libapt-pkg4.12 libdevmapper-event1.02.1 libdevmapper1.02.1 liblvm2app2.2
linux-libc-dev python python-minimal tzdata
14 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,990 kB of archives.
After this operation, 87.0 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main base-files armhf 7.1wheezy2+rpi1 [81.1 kB]
Get:2 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libapt-pkg-dev armhf 0.9.7.9+rpi1 [186 kB]
Get:3 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libapt-pkg4.12 armhf 0.9.7.9+rpi1 [854 kB]
Get:4 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libapt-inst1.5 armhf 0.9.7.9+rpi1 [163 kB]
Get:5 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main apt armhf 0.9.7.9+rpi1 [1,237 kB]
Get:6 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main dmsetup armhf 2:1.02.74-8+rpi1 [67.3 kB]
Get:7 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libdevmapper1.02.1 armhf 2:1.02.74-8+rpi1 [131 kB]
Get:8 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libdevmapper-event1.02.1 armhf 2:1.02.74-8+rpi1 [31.7 kB]
Get:9 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main liblvm2app2.2 armhf 2.02.95-8+rpi1 [330 kB]
Get:10 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main tzdata all 2013d-0wheezy1 [524 kB]
Get:11 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main python-minimal all 2.7.3-4+deb7u1 [42.8 kB]
Get:12 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main python all 2.7.3-4+deb7u1 [181 kB]
Get:13 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main linux-libc-dev armhf 3.2.51-1+rpi1 [791 kB]
Get:14 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main apt-utils armhf 0.9.7.9+rpi1 [370 kB]
Fetched 4,990 kB in 10s (484 kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 30083 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace base-files 7.1wheezy1+rpi1 (using .../base-files_7.1wheezy2+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement base-files ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for install-info ...
Setting up base-files (7.1wheezy2+rpi1) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/debian_version ...
Preparing to replace libapt-pkg-dev:armhf 0.9.7.8+rpi1 (using .../libapt-pkg-dev_0.9.7.9+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libapt-pkg-dev:armhf ...
Preparing to replace libapt-inst1.5:armhf 0.9.7.8+rpi1 (using .../libapt-inst1.5_0.9.7.9+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libapt-inst1.5:armhf ...
Preparing to replace libapt-pkg4.12:armhf 0.9.7.8+rpi1 (using .../libapt-pkg4.12_0.9.7.9+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libapt-pkg4.12:armhf ...
Setting up libapt-pkg4.12:armhf (0.9.7.9+rpi1) ...
Preparing to replace apt 0.9.7.8+rpi1 (using .../apt_0.9.7.9+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement apt ...
Setting up apt (0.9.7.9+rpi1) ...
gpg: key 90FDDD2E: "Mike Thompson (Raspberry Pi Debian armhf ARMv6+VFP) <mpthompson@gmail.com>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1
Warning: removed keys keyring /usr/share/keyrings/raspbian-archive-removed-keys.gpg missing or not readable
Preparing to replace dmsetup 2:1.02.74-7+rpi1 (using .../dmsetup_2%3a1.02.74-8+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement dmsetup ...
Setting up dmsetup (2:1.02.74-8+rpi1) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Not updating initramfs.
Preparing to replace libdevmapper1.02.1:armhf 2:1.02.74-7+rpi1 (using .../libdevmapper1.02.1_2%3a1.02.74-8+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libdevmapper1.02.1:armhf ...
Setting up libdevmapper1.02.1:armhf (2:1.02.74-8+rpi1) ...
Preparing to replace libdevmapper-event1.02.1:armhf 2:1.02.74-7+rpi1 (using .../libdevmapper-event1.02.1_2%3a1.02.74-8+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libdevmapper-event1.02.1:armhf ...
Setting up libdevmapper-event1.02.1:armhf (2:1.02.74-8+rpi1) ...
Preparing to replace liblvm2app2.2:armhf 2.02.95-7+rpi1 (using .../liblvm2app2.2_2.02.95-8+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement liblvm2app2.2:armhf ...
Setting up liblvm2app2.2:armhf (2.02.95-8+rpi1) ...
Preparing to replace tzdata 2013c-0wheezy1 (using .../tzdata_2013d-0wheezy1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement tzdata ...
Setting up tzdata (2013d-0wheezy1) ...

Current default time zone: 'Europe/London'
Local time is now: Mon Nov 4 01:55:40 GMT 2013.
Universal Time is now: Mon Nov 4 01:55:40 UTC 2013.
Run 'dpkg-reconfigure tzdata' if you wish to change it.

Preparing to replace python-minimal 2.7.3-4 (using .../python-minimal_2.7.3-4+deb7u1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement python-minimal ...
Setting up python-minimal (2.7.3-4+deb7u1) ...
(Reading database ... 30085 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace python 2.7.3-4 (using .../python_2.7.3-4+deb7u1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement python ...
Setting up python (2.7.3-4+deb7u1) ...
(Reading database ... 30085 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-libc-dev:armhf 3.2.46-1+rpi1 (using .../linux-libc-dev_3.2.51-1+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-libc-dev:armhf ...
Setting up linux-libc-dev:armhf (3.2.51-1+rpi1) ...
Preparing to replace apt-utils 0.9.7.8+rpi1 (using .../apt-utils_0.9.7.9+rpi1_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement apt-utils ...
Setting up libapt-inst1.5:armhf (0.9.7.9+rpi1) ...
Setting up libapt-pkg-dev:armhf (0.9.7.9+rpi1) ...
Setting up apt-utils (0.9.7.9+rpi1) ...

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - cd1 - 10th Dec, 2013 11:12 AM

HI All,

I have a question for all and wanted to see if you can help me out.. Before I was using Raspbmc. I just switched to Xbian 1.1 b1 and most of the stuff is working good. The only thing I needed help on was the following.
- When powering off unit it does not hault.. It actually reboots.. Is this a bug.
- I used to use official XBMC remote on my iPhone.. I cannot link to XBMC using this to use as a remote anymore.. Can you let me know which one everyone is using or if anyone has got it working.. I have tried everything meaning going in to service and enabling as well as installing a new webserver. I can go to the web interface and it works fine just the remote control app does not work or see it.

thanks once again.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Koenkk - 10th Dec, 2013 11:50 PM

(10th Dec, 2013 11:12 AM)cd1 Wrote:  HI All,

I have a question for all and wanted to see if you can help me out.. Before I was using Raspbmc. I just switched to Xbian 1.1 b1 and most of the stuff is working good. The only thing I needed help on was the following.
- When powering off unit it does not hault.. It actually reboots.. Is this a bug.
- I used to use official XBMC remote on my iPhone.. I cannot link to XBMC using this to use as a remote anymore.. Can you let me know which one everyone is using or if anyone has got it working.. I have tried everything meaning going in to service and enabling as well as installing a new webserver. I can go to the web interface and it works fine just the remote control app does not work or see it.

thanks once again.

We don't support XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 anymore, please upgrade to XBian 1.0 Beta 2.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Exnor - 11th Dec, 2013 03:50 AM

(10th Dec, 2013 11:50 PM)Koenkk Wrote:  
(10th Dec, 2013 11:12 AM)cd1 Wrote:  HI All,

thanks once again.

We don't support XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 anymore, please upgrade to XBian 1.0 Beta 2.

Stupid question probably but how can i upgrade to "beta 2" from updated Beta 1.1 ?