Forum
Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Releases (/forum-48.html)
+--- Thread: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread (/thread-1031.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - rikardo1979 - 28th Jun, 2013 01:54 AM

(28th Jun, 2013 01:47 AM)brantje Wrote:  Why is /boot not mounted on boot?

did you read the Beta1 news post at all???
your answer is there Wink

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - raspberry_pd - 28th Jun, 2013 02:30 AM

(27th Jun, 2013 03:53 AM)Fred Wrote:  Textures
For the people having problems with textures. Please try:
Terminal
sudo apt-get install libtiff4

And then reboot. Please report back if it works or not.

Fred what do you mean by 'textures'? I have seen people in this thread mention "icons" missing in their Add-Ons section (something I'd have thought would be less important than banners missing but maybe that's just me) and I'm not seeing any background images and at least 50% of posters and episode thumbs are missing. AFAIK most of these banners/thumbnails/backgrounds are jpg images. Does libtiff handle jpg? If not then how would upgrading libtiff help?

FWIW when I tried to upgrade libtiff I got their weirdest response, twice:

Code:
xbian@rpd ~/.xbmc $ sudo apt-get install libtiff4
xbian@rpd ~/.xbmc $ s... 0%

I've not rebooted yet because I'm not sure if the above output means the library has been updated.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Fred - 28th Jun, 2013 02:33 AM

I would also think it only handles tiff images, but all the problems with textures, icons, images mentioned in this thread so far were solved by installing libtiff4. So give it a try, XBMC needs it anyway, it was a mistake that it is not included in the image.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - raspberry_pd - 28th Jun, 2013 02:34 AM

(26th Jun, 2013 07:57 PM)Thilo Wrote:  
(25th Jun, 2013 11:43 PM)Thilo Wrote:  What happened to Airplay support?
I updated my Alpha 5 system and now Airplay isn't working at all :/
My iPhone can't connect anymore, either does my mac or software like Airfoil.
The Airplay device is showing on all of those devices but it just doesn't connect. (If I connect through Airfoil, XBMC crashes and I have to restart my Pi. If I login through SSH and try to restart XBMC with the xbian config nothing happens)
A friend of mine is experiencing the same problems.

No help for me? Sad

Perhaps most people are running Android now and thus can't help ?

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Fred - 28th Jun, 2013 02:36 AM

(28th Jun, 2013 01:42 AM)txutxifel Wrote:  Hi
I have just upgraded xbian from alpha5 to beta1. It works very fast and good. However, I have a problem with sickbeard. I cant get working it property.

I have investigated and have found this:

xbian@xbian /usr/local/share/sickbeard $ python SickBeard.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "SickBeard.py", line 42, in <module>
from multiprocessing import freeze_support
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/__init__.py", line 64, in <module>
from multiprocessing.process import Process, current_process, active_children
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 312, in <module>
_current_process = _MainProcess()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 309, in __init__
self._authkey = AuthenticationString(os.urandom(32))
NotImplementedError: /dev/urandom (or equivalent) not found

It's a problem with /dev/urandom

A temporaly fix is:
chmod 777 /dev/urandom

However, If I reboot xbian, I get the same error again.

Any idea?

Are you using the latest SickBeard compiled for XBian? --> [Part 3] Download torrent & newsserver packages

I am not having any problems so far.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - raspberry_pd - 28th Jun, 2013 02:40 AM

(27th Jun, 2013 06:35 AM)Fred Wrote:  First, be patient. Like the guide says: 'After the installation some time consuming processes are being executed, please do not power off or unplug!'
If after enough waiting it still does not come up I would recommend a clean install.

My update took a while to do the various changes that have gone wrong for a few people. During the second reboot I also saw some of the boot text normally hidden behind the excellent visual startup screen. However that didn't last long.

I'd say, on a Sandisk Class 10, the conversion to btrfs process took about 10 minutes, but I wasn't monitoring it closely nor sitting around waiting for it with nothing else to do (watched kettle never boils faster factor). Hopefully that gives people some impression of how long they may need to wait.

(28th Jun, 2013 12:25 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  Conclusion
This isn't a Beta worthy, it does have a really great potential but is just not useable here. There are just to many things that are broken that did work in Alpha 5.

As hard as I'm sure people have worked on this beta, I'd have to agree. It might be early days but the variety of issues people are having seem to be significant and varied. I understand changing a file system and other choices in this beta are fairly ambitious and this distro is called bleeding edge, but the body can only lose so much blood before it dies Smile

One strange issue for me is that my whole home directory seems to have been corrupted in some form or another. All the files are there such as sources.xml and remote.xml but they are all empty! Therefore most of my setup is now broken in terms of being usable. I guess I should be thankful my update went further than that of some other people and there does seem like some speed improvements might have been made, but that's hard to tell when the system is not actually reading the sources like it did before. Any system can show blank interfaces faster than interfaces that actually display some content Smile

UPDATE:

Ok things are just getting worse/weirder. I'm getting issues from simple stuff like the time fails to update itself to all Add-Ons list is now completely blank. Every other reboot I can see the banner view behind "TV Shows" but about 70% of the thumbnails are missing. Alternatively, every second time I reboot, clicking "TV Shows" just loads a blank listing screen with "Videos" at the top.

Pros (compared to other reports)
- Boots
- Movie listings seem to work fine (including backgrounds)
- Wakes up out of screen saver (dim)
- At least one TV video did play, though playback might not have been as smooth as before
- Boot time seems at least as good as A5
- General skin animations seem faster/smoother
- SSH still works, generally (though I do get this error:

Code:
-bash: [: : integer expression expected

)

Cons
- TV Shows "Title" mode doesn't load properly, sometimes at all
- Add-Ons have vanished
- Home directory seems to be corrupted (custom .bashrc gone; several 0 byte files/folders)
- Recently added thumbnails are not all displaying

Neutral
- I don't care about Airplay so can't say if it's working

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - PRoPAiN! - 28th Jun, 2013 03:14 AM

First off: VERY impressed and pleased with the beta!

Got impatient with the update (maybe didn't have enough space?) and hosed my installation Blush, so did a clean install. Ran into the libtiff issue, which of course I fixed. Issues I've run into:

1. My setup is a little quirky/kludgy/"ghetto", and somehow I was getting one drive not mounted and another mounted twice. The UUID directory names were making me crosseyed anyways, so I had to put back to my UUID lines in fstab.

2. "service xbmc restart" doesn't work, but stop/start does. Only clue I could find was an error in the XBMC log about DBus and UDisk: error's there on restart, but not on stop/start. Related to #1 somehow?

A positive note: I use the xbmc-backup addon. After hosing my installation, I did manage to save my last backup from Monday. Took a chance that it would work. Restored PERFECTLY. And since I've got my old mount points from issue #1, I don't even need to do a rescan except to pick up the shows I've gotten since Monday.
EDIT: Spoke too soon. My library was all there, but starting the rescan froze the whole thing, then reboot took me back to where I got impatient in the first place.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Epedemic - 28th Jun, 2013 03:17 AM

Hmm i've got big problems with the new update... Everything is really really slow, and sometimes playing videos will cause a complete hang of the pi Sad I did a update first, and then a complete reinstall from scratch, but the system is still crawling along :/ for instance it took >10 min to install samba...

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - raspberry_pd - 28th Jun, 2013 03:20 AM

(28th Jun, 2013 02:33 AM)Fred Wrote:  I would also think it only handles tiff images, but all the problems with textures, icons, images mentioned in this thread so far were solved by installing libtiff4. So give it a try, XBMC needs it anyway, it was a mistake that it is not included in the image.

Fair enough. I did try it, and just now for a third time. I am not seeing the expected response on teh command line. I suspect this is because my bash config is somehow corrupted, as this login error suggests:

Code:
-bash: [: : integer expression expected

However unless that error explains why I'm seeing a lot of crucial 0 byte files/folders then my installation appears to have been corrupted by the upgrade. I made a point of backing up before I upgraded so I really hope that I can get things back to the way they were. No amount of improvements is worth corrupting the system, bleeding edge or not Smile

Thanks for your responsiveness in this thread Fred. There's only one thing worse than using software that is not working as it should and that's not having anyone to help. It's good to have people around to help.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Fred - 28th Jun, 2013 04:08 AM

(28th Jun, 2013 03:17 AM)Epedemic Wrote:  Hmm i've got big problems with the new update... Everything is really really slow, and sometimes playing videos will cause a complete hang of the pi Sad I did a update first, and then a complete reinstall from scratch, but the system is still crawling along :/ for instance it took >10 min to install samba...

This is a wild guess, but try the following.

Do a clean install on your SD card. Then open the SD card folder on your PC, so not in your RPi. Open the root partition and modify the config.txt, change core_freq=275 to core_freq=250 .

Then put it in your RPi and see if it changes something.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Scott4uf21 - 28th Jun, 2013 04:09 AM

My Wifi Dongles that were working with the previous version of xbian are now "working" but the signal strength is so low it will not connect. Changed to another adapter, still low signal but yellow and able to connect.

Should I get compatible wifi dongles for this update or can a fix be introduced? Thanks

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - IriDium - 28th Jun, 2013 04:31 AM

USB drive not showing in Video or Music:

I managed to replicate "the" or at least "a" problem in Beta 1.

Tested with Beta 1 - nothing else installed. Using a 1TB WD external powered HDD

Booted the RPi then plugged in the HDD. It showed up on System-> System Info -> Storage and with "df -h". However it did not show up in Videos -> Files.

Restarting xbmc solved the issue.

Rebooted with the external HDD attached and nothing showed up in Videos -> files. But it was in System Info and "df -h".

I'm sure in Aplha 5 it's mounted as /media/<Label> but in Beta 1 it's mounted as /media/<Label><UID>.

It can be mounted manually by Files -> Add source -> and when rebooted it's there.

So that's a "work around" but not really a fix as USB should be PnP. Updating xbian-package-usbmount 1.0-0.1 did not fix the problem.

So why does restarting xbmc solve the problem? Is it related to xbmc starting too early - as in the mysql issue?

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - starke - 28th Jun, 2013 04:34 AM

Hi,

I updated to beta 1 from alpha 5 and my raspberry is booting xbmc wont start and I end with a login screen with text: GNU/LINUX tty1 xbian login:

I cannot log in with xbian login and password (I tried several times). I was able to ssh to raspberry but I wasnt able to start xbmc.

What should I do? Thanks for help

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - anonimo200 - 28th Jun, 2013 04:35 AM

Good evening from Spain and congratulations for this Beta!!!
Boot time is impresive but Xbmc is reeaaaalllllyyyyy slow. New installation and the navigation is not fluid. I had the same issue in Alpha 5 (I'm still in Alpha 4).
I'll try core_freq=250, I have to restore the copy I made of Beta 1 once installed...

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1 thread - Freddie299 - 28th Jun, 2013 04:36 AM

I seem to have a problem with dpkg. I did a fresh install, but neither apt-get upgrade nor any new installation of packages (ddclient in this case) do work. The system freezes, after enough waiting a dpkg errormessage shows up. I don't recall it exactly and am waiting for it to post it here right now.

Besides, unpowering and rebooting brings up a fast-than-ever xbmc installation that showed no flaws for my use...