Forum
Xbian can't find files on External HDD - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Video and Audio (/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Xbian can't find files on External HDD (/thread-1035.html)

Pages: 1 2

Xbian can't find files on External HDD - BigGeoffrey - 26th Jun, 2013 06:39 PM

Hey Everyone,

I have a problem. Just installed Xbian on my raspberry. Everything works fine but for one thing. If i plug my external HDD in to the Raspberry, I can find it in the mediafolder, but I can't find any files.
It's a WD elements external HDD. It's 1.5 GB. I formatted it long ago to NTFS.
New to linux, so no experience whatsoever with coding.
Can anyone help me out?

Thx

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - xraxor - 26th Jun, 2013 08:24 PM

I have the same problem with my ext4 external hdd. But somehow I can play media on my library from the hdd, because the library was scanned before I installed beta 1, The problem is I cannot find the external hdd in file manager or mediafolder like you.

Lets hope someone helps us Smile

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - Davem - 27th Jun, 2013 03:50 AM

Can you find the hard drive when navigate with WinScp or SSH to /media/... ? I noticed that the hard drive is mounted here automatically under a new name (/media/HDD LABEL + UID) instead of /media/usb.

I also noticed that the hard drive is not automatic found in the XBMC anymore after the beta 1 update. So not directly accessible by the XBMC filemanger.

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - IriDium - 27th Jun, 2013 04:09 AM

Posted on github https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/392

Is this issue related to Beta 1 or previous releases?

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - Fred - 27th Jun, 2013 05:11 AM

Can you give some more details on this issue? From what I understand now it is mounted to /media/xxx but if you browse to /media/xxx you can't see any files?
For me it all just works fine, so I can't reproduce.

Try remounting the device and see if that helps. Here are the commands assuming your harddisk is /dev/sda1 (check with command 'df')
Terminal

sudo mkdir /media/testmount
sudo umount /dev/sda1
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/testmount

Check if you can find stuff in /media/testmount.

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - xraxor - 27th Jun, 2013 07:24 AM

Yep, my hdd drive is on /media/XXX but xbmc cant see it.

will do what Fred suggested and report back.

run the codes there Fred, this is what I got

xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo mkdir /media/testmount
mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/testmount': File exists
xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo umount /dev/sda1
xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/testmount

More Details.

My external HDD is attached to the Pi, is I navigate to /media/ my HDD drive is there, all the files are readable.

The only problem I have is:
* XBMC doesn't see my HDD, so I can navigate from xbmc to my files on my HDD. thereforei cannot add anything to the library.
* Also noticed that the HDD doesn't sleep anymore, in Alpha 5 it used to sleep after 5min, I think hdparm.

Are these details enough? again, xbian mounts the drive, but XBMC doesn't find it.

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - Fred - 27th Jun, 2013 02:45 PM

So when you navigate in XBMC to 'videos --> files --> add videos --> browse to /media' it shows an empty folder?

I noticed that my HDD also is showing in the list 'videos --> files' as 'xxGB file system', but before it never showed up here. I always added stuff the way I described, so maybe that is the problem ( that it does not show up anymore in 'videos --> files' )

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - BigGeoffrey - 27th Jun, 2013 06:08 PM

Thanks xrazor 4 hijacking my thread.. You have a different problem, perhaps looks the same, but with me Alpha 5 has the same problem..

It does show an empty folder with me

If i put in the codes it says like xrazor: file exists
And with the umount it says: not mounted
after that when i mount it it freezes for a sec
then it says nothing

I've solved the problem: Installing Alpha 4. Then it has no problems finding my HDD. I hope a solution comes for Beta1. Thx anyway

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - Fred - 27th Jun, 2013 08:56 PM

The freeze after mounting and not saying anything is normal behavior.
Did you check for the files in the folder you mounted the hdd? (/media/testmount if you followed my instructions).
I think this will work because the umount returned 'not mounted' so it seems it won't automount.

If you can confirm this we can search for the reason why it does not automount.

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - Carpenter - 27th Jun, 2013 09:19 PM

(27th Jun, 2013 03:50 AM)Davem Wrote:  Can you find the hard drive when navigate with WinScp or SSH to /media/... ? I noticed that the hard drive is mounted here automatically under a new name (/media/HDD LABEL + UID) instead of /media/usb.

I also noticed that the hard drive is not automatic found in the XBMC anymore after the beta 1 update. So not directly accessible by the XBMC filemanger.

I have exactly the same problem. My drive isn't found in XBMC file manager anymore but I can still access it via /media/HDD Label + UID.

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - Fred - 27th Jun, 2013 09:45 PM

If you want me to help, additional information is required. @BigGeoffrey: yes these are two different problems so it seems, but can be handled both in this thread.

@Carpenter, xraxor: Give me some additional information. What do you see in the folder /media if you browse there from XBMC, does it show the mountpoint but is it just empty? Can you try restarting XBMC and see if that helps:

Terminal

sudo stop xbmc
sudo start xbmc

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - BigGeoffrey - 27th Jun, 2013 09:59 PM

My problem is solved. I still don't know what the problem is, but switching to Alpha 4 seemed to help. So now I'm using that. Thanks for the help anyway.

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - Fred - 27th Jun, 2013 10:03 PM

Okay, well I don't really see that as a solution so if you want install beta1 again and we will troubleshoot it.

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - IriDium - 28th Jun, 2013 12:42 AM

I managed to replicate "the" or at least "a" problem in Beta 1.

Tested with Beta 1 - nothing else installed. Using a 1TB WD external powered HDD

Booted the RPi then plugged in the HDD. It showed up on System-> System Info -> Storage and with "df -h". However it did not show up in Videos -> Files.

Restarting xbmc solved the issue.

Rebooted with the external HDD attached and nothing showed up in Videos -> files. But it was in System Info and "df -h".

I'm sure in Aplha 5 it's mounted as /media/<Label> but in Beta 1 it's mounted as /media/<Label><UID>.

It can be mounted manually by Files -> Add source -> and when rebooted it's there.

So that's a "work around" but not really a fix as USB should be PnP. Updating xbian-package-usbmount 1.0-0.1 did not fix the problem.

RE: Xbian can't find files on External HDD - BigGeoffrey - 28th Jun, 2013 04:10 AM

(27th Jun, 2013 10:03 PM)Fred Wrote:  Okay, well I don't really see that as a solution so if you want install beta1 again and we will troubleshoot it.

I understand, but for me it it. Because I'm happy enough that it works after hours of trying different solutions..

(27th Jun, 2013 08:56 PM)Fred Wrote:  The freeze after mounting and not saying anything is normal behavior.
Did you check for the files in the folder you mounted the hdd? (/media/testmount if you followed my instructions).
I think this will work because the umount returned 'not mounted' so it seems it won't automount.

If you can confirm this we can search for the reason why it does not automount.

It didn't find any files in the testmount folder...