Forum
Can't boot after adding exfat hdd to fstab - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Can't boot after adding exfat hdd to fstab (/thread-1075.html)

Can't boot after adding exfat hdd to fstab - I_scoff_cake - 3rd Jul, 2013 09:48 AM

Xbian 1.0 Alpha 5.0 with all updates
Sandisk Ultra 30MB/s SDHC Card 8GB

Two times I attempted to put an exfat mount config in fstab and both times it wouldn't get past the load screen when I rebooted. I tried booting with no USB devices connected even. Both times I had to re-install Xbian on the SD card. Works fine with no exfat line in fstab.

I can't be bothered to troubleshoot it further because I'll just use the Wi-Fi to afp the files over instead of a hard link.

RE: Can't boot after adding exfat hdd to fstab - Dr_Radar - 25th Oct, 2013 06:49 AM

Xbian 1.1 Alpha 8Gb Sandisk drive

Just had same problem. Was adding external drive in the fstab using its UUID and Xbian then refused to fully boot. It showed splash screen at start but didn't finish booting and I couldn't SSH into it.

Any solutions found to avoid this?

(3rd Jul, 2013 09:48 AM)I_scoff_cake Wrote:  Xbian 1.0 Alpha 5.0 with all updates

Two times I attempted to put an exfat mount config in fstab and both times it wouldn't get past the load screen when I rebooted. I tried booting with no USB devices connected even. Both times I had to re-install Xbian on the SD card. Works fine with no exfat line in fstab.

I can't be bothered to troubleshoot it further because I'll just use the Wi-Fi to afp the files over instead of a hard link.

RE: Can't boot after adding exfat hdd to fstab - rikardo1979 - 25th Oct, 2013 09:00 AM

(25th Oct, 2013 06:49 AM)Dr_Radar Wrote:  Xbian 1.1 Alpha 8Gb Sandisk drive

Just had same problem. Was adding external drive in the fstab using its UUID and Xbian then refused to fully boot. It showed splash screen at start but didn't finish booting and I couldn't SSH into it.

Any solutions found to avoid this?

(3rd Jul, 2013 09:48 AM)I_scoff_cake Wrote:  Xbian 1.0 Alpha 5.0 with all updates

you mean that you have XBian 1.0 Beta1.1 not Alpha 1.1 as such version didn't exists. Just to make things right and to be sure the guys looking for the right things Wink

RE: Can't boot after adding exfat hdd to fstab - zilexa - 28th Oct, 2013 07:05 PM

I had the exact same issue yesterday, xbian 1.0 beta 1.1, raspberry with 512mb. The harddrive is connected to the usb hub from modmypi.com. it's a usb powered harddrive, Western Digital. I don't want to experiment since I do everything remotely, it's the RPi at my parents place. But don't have a choice now. I already reinstalled xbian using the Windows installer.. now Xbian works again but I still need to do the static mount. Btw I have created a static mount many times for both ext4 and Exfat on several RPis never had any issues.

Ha I just did this (after I had to reinstall XBian on SD card):
- created a folder /media/usb
- sudo umount /media/usb0 (since the harddive is automatically mounted at boot to usb0)
- added my mount to fstab, looks like this now:
Terminal
#
#
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
LABEL=xbian-root-btrfs / btrfs subvol=root/@,thread_pool=1,rw,compress=lzo,noatime,autodefrag 0 0
LABEL=xbian-root-btrfs /home btrfs subvol=home/@,thread_pool=1,rw,compress=lzo,noatime,autodefrag 0 0
UUID=8B12-9112 /boot vfat defaults 0 0
UUID=bc1df18b-2fcd-4cbb-86c9-b193fb5f039b /media/usb ntfs-3g defaults,noatime,nodiratime,async,big_writes 0 0

- did not reboot, I just did sudo mount -a and it gives me this warning:

Terminal
xbian@xbian /media $ sudo mount -a
NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sda1' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

How can I fix the NTFS sig?

EDIT: Googled a lot, seems like the bootsector must have been overwritten somehow. I don't understand how this could have happened, but it happened. I deleted the partition using fdisk and created a new exfat partition, formatted it using mkfs.exfat. Updated the UUID in /etc/fstab (it changed after deleting partition and creating new one). Now mount -a still fails!! but sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb DOES work. I am completely lost can anyone shed some light on this?

RE: Can't boot after adding exfat hdd to fstab - mk01 - 31st Oct, 2013 07:19 PM

(28th Oct, 2013 07:05 PM)zilexa Wrote:  Now mount -a still fails!! but sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb DOES work. I am completely lost can anyone shed some light on this?

check what is the mount options after you mount the partition with "mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb" and how it differs from the ones you are putting into /etc/fstab.

if you call mount with source and target specified, /etc/fstab is not used and defaults + auto detect of fs is used.