Forum
[PROBLEM] xbmc stops after few seconds - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Uncategorized (/forum-59.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] xbmc stops after few seconds (/thread-1084.html)

xbmc stops after few seconds - Ruben - 8th Jul, 2013 05:39 AM

Hi,

Running xbian a5 for a few months now, and was totally satisfied until yesterday.
All of a sudden, no changes made, xbian decides to kill the xbmc process a few seconds after booting. So all what is left is a black screen. SSH still works. This is some info from dmesg:
Code:
[   74.733957] Out of memory: Kill process 2175 (xbmc.bin) score 850 or sacrifice child
[   74.733975] Killed process 2175 (xbmc.bin) total-vm:686924kB, anon-rss:314004kB, file-rss:776kB

Pi is not running hot at 49C and is always on. Anyone an idea what this could be?

Re: xbmc stops after few seconds - f1vefour - 9th Jul, 2013 04:11 PM

It is using an insane amount of memory then being killed by an OOM, it may be a faulty plugin.

It's difficult to know exactly what is pulling in this amount of memory so rapidly.

RE: xbmc stops after few seconds - gizag - 10th Jul, 2013 12:06 AM

(9th Jul, 2013 04:11 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  It is using an insane amount of memory then being killed by an OOM, it may be a faulty plugin.

It's difficult to know exactly what is pulling in this amount of memory so rapidly.

I have a similar problem, where it's caused by XBMC loading the whole thumbnails folder into memory (mine is ~300 MB) temporary solution is to move away the thumbnails folder and the Databases/textures13.db file

RE: xbmc stops after few seconds - IriDium - 10th Jul, 2013 04:20 AM

This is *not* really an Xbian problem, but related to what you have *add* on. I have been running Alpha5 since inception and have had no problems.

I'd suggest running a few of the "monitoring" programs.

1) top
2) sar
3) vmstat

and see if there is *anything* unusual.

If you have a spare SD card, reinstall and see if you have the same problem.

BTW: Having been in the S/W industry for over 20 years - the title "I didn't change anything" really means "I did but I won't admit it".

By virtue, that it occurs "seconds after booting" - your words, it's likely to be something occurring before xbmc can start.

Can you first read (You should have done this first! http://forum.xbian.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=54

and then follow the instructions to post debug logs

RE: xbmc stops after few seconds - gizag - 10th Jul, 2013 07:34 PM

(10th Jul, 2013 04:20 AM)IriDium Wrote:  This is *not* really an Xbian problem, but related to what you have *add* on. I have been running Alpha5 since inception and have had no problems.

1) top
2) sar
3) vmstat

BTW: Having been in the S/W industry for over 20 years - the title "I didn't change anything" really means "I did but I won't admit it".

By virtue, that it occurs "seconds after booting" - your words, it's likely to be something occurring before xbmc can start.

Can you first read (You should have done this first! http://forum.xbian.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=54

In my case it's actually not an addon Wink Previously with Alpha 5 I would not run out of memory since the upgrade to beta 1 (1.1) I do. I did remove all addons. So for me it's a stock beta 1.1 plus my original library databases and thumbnail folder.

RE: xbmc stops after few seconds - IriDium - 10th Jul, 2013 08:42 PM

(10th Jul, 2013 07:34 PM)gizag Wrote:  
(10th Jul, 2013 04:20 AM)IriDium Wrote:  This is *not* really an Xbian problem, but related to what you have *add* on. I have been running Alpha5 since inception and have had no problems.

1) top
2) sar
3) vmstat

In my case it's actually not an addon Wink Previously with Alpha 5 I would not run out of memory since the upgrade to beta 1 (1.1) I do. I did remove all addons. So for me it's a stock beta 1.1 plus my original library databases and thumbnail folder.

"Running xbian a5 for a few months now, and was totally satisfied until yesterday.
All of a sudden, no changes made"

So no "changes" made means you upgraded from Alpha5 to Beta 1.1 - sounds like a *big* change to me.

So follow the rules and post in http://forum.xbian.org/showthread.php?tid=1077

RE: xbmc stops after few seconds - gizag - 11th Jul, 2013 06:26 AM

(10th Jul, 2013 08:42 PM)IriDium Wrote:  
(10th Jul, 2013 07:34 PM)gizag Wrote:  

1) top
2) sar
3) vmstat

"Running xbian a5 for a few months now, and was totally satisfied until yesterday.
All of a sudden, no changes made"

So no "changes" made means you upgraded from Alpha5 to Beta 1.1 - sounds like a *big* change to me.

So follow the rules and post in http://forum.xbian.org/showthread.php?tid=1077
I did Wink Posted here because I was thinking it might be the same problem and ts could benefit from the same work around Smile

Re: xbmc stops after few seconds - f1vefour - 12th Jul, 2013 07:06 AM

@iriduim

The OP posted the memory stats of xbmc, it indeed is xbmc using up all available memory.

The OP said they made no changes, it's not the same user who upgraded to beta.

@gizag

Your issue of xbmc loading everything into memory is on Alpha or Beta?

Have you made changes to advancedsettings.xml?

RE: xbmc stops after few seconds - Ruben - 12th Jul, 2013 05:50 PM

(10th Jul, 2013 04:20 AM)IriDium Wrote:  BTW: Having been in the S/W industry for over 20 years - the title "I didn't change anything" really means "I did but I won't admit it".

Well I am in the S/W industry for over 15 years now and of course I get your statement, but I also think you should know that modern OS's do thousands of things per second even when idle and there is always a chance that something goes wrong. Just like the fact that hardware runs on smoke - when the smoke escapes, the hardware is broken. In your 20 years experience, I am sure you have encountered Murphy's law countless times, no doubt about that. You get the point. Wink

I am a Linux newbie so I didn't know of the tools you mentioned here, thanks for that. I must admit I posted kinda in the heat of the moment, but I thought I'd done quite some effort to post useful information. I'll checkout the debug logs next time something goes wrong.

In the meanwhile, I just did a clean install of Beta 1 and upgraded to 1.1.
Apart from some small things I have to figure out, we're able to relax and watch a movie or series again. Cool

RE: xbmc stops after few seconds - IriDium - 13th Jul, 2013 05:57 AM

Glad you got it sorted.Whilst - most Xbian developers have ESP - not all have ESP switched on - me included. We need the full details, not just what you think we need.

Read the "What to do before posting thread" and we will all be happy!!