Forum
[SOLVED] 1Beta1.1 - Wifi Problem with SSH and windoze..... - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] 1Beta1.1 - Wifi Problem with SSH and windoze..... (/thread-1085.html)

1Beta1.1 - Wifi Problem with SSH and windoze..... - Skywatch - 8th Jul, 2013 11:51 PM

Hi all,

I have a new pi now and was setting it up for wireless using a TP-722 dongle.

Wifi works and it connects to the samba network. The android can see it and all files, so can the other pi.

But Windoze (both XP-32 and Win7-64) can't see the files and are unable to SSH in. This means I can't manage or update it easily as it will be headless (and keyboardless and mouseless!) when installed.

I've checked the router and that see's it attached and there are no firewall or blocks apparent. I have allowed it on the firewall of the Win machines.

From Win maching I can ping it's IP address with success, but if I ping by name it won't respond. DNS issue?

Anyone of you clever people suggest what it could be?

Thanks

Skywatch

Re: 1Beta1.1 - Wifi Problem with SSH and windoze..... - rikardo1979 - 9th Jul, 2013 12:12 AM

do you have installed samba package on XBian?

RE: 1Beta1.1 - Wifi Problem with SSH and windoze..... - Skywatch - 9th Jul, 2013 12:24 AM

Should be as I checked the /etc/samba/smb.conf to see any issues there and there were none that I could see.

Is it worth while reinstalling it do you think?

Thanks

Skywatch

RE: 1Beta1.1 - Wifi Problem with SSH and windoze..... - IriDium - 9th Jul, 2013 03:07 AM

(9th Jul, 2013 12:24 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  Should be as I checked the /etc/samba/smb.conf to see any issues there and there were none that I could see.

Is it worth while reinstalling it do you think?

Thanks

Skywatch

I don't believe samba is installed by default.

A quick check with sudo apt-get -s install samba on a fresh upgrade shows it is not.

Sounds more like a configuration issue if it is installed

In fact if you run ssh xbian-config 4) Packages -> NET - > Samba is there waiting to be installed.

RE: 1Beta1.1 - Wifi Problem with SSH and windoze..... - Skywatch - 9th Jul, 2013 05:08 AM

(9th Jul, 2013 03:07 AM)IriDium Wrote:  In fact if you run ssh xbian-config 4) Packages -> NET - > Samba is there waiting to be installed.

THanks for that, but I can't SSH in to it!

I can confirm that Samba is installed and set up with the correct workgroup.

When I try to SSH in from a win7 laptop I get......

SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_6.0p1 Debian-3

and that's all. No Xbian login ( I always use a key pair as the authentication on all pi's). So this too is odd! ???

When I go to the pi and select system/file manager and try to connect via SMB I get

Error 2: Share not available.

The pi can get on the net to set up NTP but not updates it seems, nor streaming sites?

Oh, and my oven element has blown and now my oscillating fan has decided to no longer oscillate! - What a day!

Skywatch

It is working at last.

....and I would like to volunteer for idiot of the month (year?).... ;-)

Seems that I had putty set to TTY instead of SSH and that was causing the log in issue (one to remember in future!) ;-)

Now it appears on the network and on Windoze as well. I have to do some more testing but it is looking promising.

Now if only the other things that aren't working were so easy to fix!

Cheers

Skywatch

Re: 1Beta1.1 - Wifi Problem with SSH and windoze..... - rikardo1979 - 9th Jul, 2013 05:28 AM

as you confirmed that there wasn't a real issue at all I have marked the thread as Resolved and closing it down
-thx-