Forum
beta2 ongoing development - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 ongoing development (/thread-1121.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 17th Jul, 2013 12:41 AM

IMPORTANT:
although the xbian-package-* packages can be installed and work as standalone packages, for transitions as alpha5->beta1, beta1->beta2 xbian-update package installation is a must. even if dependencies between packages allow installation without it, the missing latest xbian-update can (will) cause non-functional package, or even whole installation or will mislead to false bug reports.

if "apt-get -s upgrade" holds any of xbian-* packages from auto install with apt-get upgrade operation, use "apt-get install xbian-package1 xbian-package2" command for those listed as hold. xbian-update is the only package which is restarting RPI automatically, so the installation can with no issues be run manually in more steps. just install the xbian-update package as last one.

anyone hardcore enough to jump on ongoing daily updates towards beta2 able to help with testing?

if yes, update /etc/apt/sources.list so that xbian repo out, and this repo in
Code:
deb http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com wheezy main

Short how-to

the usual apt-get clean and apt-get update. already snapshot tools is present with standard config creating snapshot with EACH apt-get run (keeping last 10), then on each day creating 'daily' (keeping last 30) and once a week creating 'weekly' image (keeping last 50).

the life on this repo should not cause any disasters, I'm using it straight away on 'production' rpis.

and with working on the snapshots, ANY REAL disaster is reverted in seconds. even to save the first update, update xbian-package-config-shell only as first together with btrfs-tools. to update those, run:
1) apt-get clean
2) apt-get update
3) apt-get install --reinstall xbian-package-config-shell btrfs-tools

this will install the hooks creating snapshots and tool itself. then, create beta2 snapshot (we will use for test updates) with:
Code:
1) btrfs-auto-snapshot snapshot —name beta2 root

make backup of kernel.img and initramfs.gz at /boot to have the versions compatible with the currently running system (before beta2 snapshot).
Code:
1) cp /boot/kernel.img /boot/kernel.img.stable
2) cp /boot/initramfs.gz /boot/initramfs.gz.stable

change /boot/cmdline.txt and update the snapshot name used to boot system. change "subvol=root/@" to "subvol=root/@beta2". then reboot. system will boot from snapshot beta2 we created, with state exactly after we installed config-shell package and new btrfs-tools.

now install all the xbian- packages available to upgrade, including xbian-update. after reboot, you are on beta2 testing version.

if anything terrible should happen (or you wish to revert to beta1.1, "restore" procedure means:
Code:
1) change /boot/cmdline.txt and update the snapshot name used to boot system. change "subvol=root/@beta2" to "subvol=root/@"
2) copy the .stable file over the ones used to boot at /boot
2a) cp /boot/kernel.img.stable /boot/kernel.img
2b) cp /boot/initramfs.gz.stable /boot/initramfs.gz
update:
starting with xbian-update revision 10 (see /etc/xbian_revision), this is no more needed. /lib/modules is shared among snapshots and sub volumes, so lastly installed kernel will be with no issue available and working for other rootfs versions with full scope of available modules.
latest xbian-update 1.2 is converting the installation automatically (for shared /lib/modules dir). all new created snapshots from this one updated will automatically use the shared lib. for older snapshots, after boot-up, xbian-update can be always rerun.

(if system would be unbeatable, just plug the sdcard to any system including windows, and just do the changes at /boot files. no other steps are necessary)

if we get stable group of testers, development will massively speed up and failure rate of updates pushed to public will decrease.

let me know.

mk

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 17th Jul, 2013 02:42 AM

Code:
apt-get install xbian-package-config-shell
needs to be done before running
Code:
btrfs-auto-snapshot snapshot --name pre-beta2-snapshot root
Code:
Error: root is not existing volume.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - nsviper - 17th Jul, 2013 03:19 AM

Installing now...

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 17th Jul, 2013 03:23 AM

(17th Jul, 2013 02:42 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Error: root is not existing volume. [/code]

btrfs-auto-snapshot listvol ?

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 17th Jul, 2013 03:28 AM

(17th Jul, 2013 03:23 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(17th Jul, 2013 02:42 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Error: root is not existing volume. [/code]

No output at all

RE: beta2 ongoing development - nsviper - 17th Jul, 2013 03:32 AM

(17th Jul, 2013 03:23 AM)mk01 Wrote:  

hmm yeh i get the same error

btrfs-auto-snapshot listvol returns nothing ...

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 17th Jul, 2013 03:42 AM

(17th Jul, 2013 03:32 AM)nsviper Wrote:  hmm yeh i get the same error

btrfs-auto-snapshot listvol returns nothing ...

me toooo ! ah ok, I don't have any, I'm on the test fs copy with rsync. for me works as expected when uded --dev parameter (i booted from dev/sda.
stupid question, but are you using root user or sudo, yes ?

if yes, then mount the fs with
Code:
mount -t btrfs -o subvolid=0 /dev/mmcblk0p2 /tmp

and post output of (correction)
Code:
btrfs sub list /tmp

RE: beta2 ongoing development - nsviper - 17th Jul, 2013 03:59 AM

PuTTY'd in as root Wink coz im lazy

btrfs sub list /mnt/tmp
ERROR: error accessing '/mnt/tmp'

"computer says no" Sad

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 17th Jul, 2013 04:22 AM

(17th Jul, 2013 03:59 AM)nsviper Wrote:  PuTTY'd in as root Wink coz im lazy

btrfs sub list /mnt/tmp

"computer says no" Sad

my typo, we mount to /tmp, so btrfs sub list /tmp
nsvip, you have upgrade from a5, or img beta1 or img beta1 to 1.1 ?

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 17th Jul, 2013 04:32 AM

(17th Jul, 2013 04:22 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(17th Jul, 2013 03:59 AM)nsviper Wrote:  PuTTY'd in as root Wink coz im lazy

btrfs sub list /mnt/tmp

"computer says no" Sad

my typo, we mount to /tmp, so btrfs sub list /tmp
nsvip, you have upgrade from a5, or img beta1 or img beta1 to 1.1 ?

Mine is fresh Beta 1.1

root@xbian:/home/xbian# btrfs sub list /tmpID 256 top level 5 path root
ID 257 top level 5 path root/@
ID 258 top level 5 path home
ID 259 top level 5 path home/@
ID 263 top level 5 path root/@safe
ID 265 top level 5 path home/@safe
root@xbian:/home/xbian#

RE: beta2 ongoing development - nsviper - 17th Jul, 2013 04:40 AM

I was on beta 1.1 (which was an upgrade from a5 and was working ok except for wifi)

# btrfs sub list /tmp
ID 261 top level 5 path root
ID 262 top level 5 path root/@
ID 263 top level 5 path home
ID 264 top level 5 path home/@
ID 265 top level 5 path root/@safe
ID 266 top level 5 path home/@safe

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 17th Jul, 2013 05:34 AM

ok, I have development version of btrfs which has send and receive support (it can send and receive snapshots / volumes among different btfs filesystems)

I put it on the repo, please do a apt-get update, apt-get install --reinstall btrfs-tools.

it should install version like this "btrfs-tools0.19+20130131-3+really20121004-1" .

then you should be inline with the instructions. those version use different structure of outputs, that's why nothing was listed.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 17th Jul, 2013 05:39 AM

(17th Jul, 2013 05:34 AM)mk01 Wrote:  ok, I have development version of btrfs which has send and receive support (it can send and receive snapshots / volumes among different btfs filesystems)

I put it on the repo, please do a apt-get update, apt-get install --reinstall btrfs-tools.

it should install version like this "btrfs-tools0.19+20130131-3+really20121004-1" .

then you should be inline with the instructions. those version use different structure of outputs, that's why nothing was listed.

root@xbian:/home/xbian# apt-get install --reinstall btrfs-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
btrfs-tools
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,404 kB of archives.
After this operation, 522 kB disk space will be freed.
Get:1 http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com/ wheezy/main btrfs-tools armhf 0.19+20130131-3+really20121004-1 [1,404 kB]
Fetched 1,404 kB in 25s (54.9 kB/s)
Error: root is not existing volume.
E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Pre-Invoke 'if [ -x /usr/sbin/btrfs-auto-snapshot ]; then btrfs-auto-snapshot snapshot -k 10 -l apt-run root ; fi '
E: Sub-process returned an error code

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 17th Jul, 2013 05:42 AM

(17th Jul, 2013 05:39 AM)IriDium Wrote:  E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Pre-Invoke 'if [ -x /usr/sbin/btrfs-auto-snapshot ]; then btrfs-auto-snapshot snapshot -k 10 -l apt-run root ; fi '
E: Sub-process returned an error code

for just this one install put "#" at the start of line in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/06xbian-btrfs

then, btrfs tools will be compatible with the script and you can remove the "#"

RE: beta2 ongoing development - nsviper - 17th Jul, 2013 05:47 AM

Identical error to Iridium i'm afraid mk01 Sad

(edit) trying yout fix now...

ok great snapshot created now:

Create a snapshot of '/tmp/btrfs-snap/root/@' in '/tmp/btrfs-snap/root/@pre-beta2-snapshot'
@pre-beta2-snapshot, 1 created snapshots, 0 destroyed snapshots, 0 warnings.