Forum
beta2 ongoing development - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 ongoing development (/thread-1121.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: beta2 ongoing development - belese - 17th Aug, 2013 09:12 PM

For the first, you should select Y i think, as there are some new value for priority management in file,
the second, don't know, but look like it's just a time stamp.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 18th Aug, 2013 11:42 PM

Fresh Beta 1.1 install and upgrade.
Configuration file `/etc/default/xbmc' answered Y.
Configuration file `/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/15update-stamp' answered Y.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still no network. Have to:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Setting N/W to static in XBMC xbian-config get the network up and running.

ssh xbian-config -> System -> Timezone: Errors about a module not found

When the screensaver kicks in for the first time - you can see the xbian loading logo in the background.

I've also noticed - it could just be me - but when testing on a 2G SD card - I'm constantly running out of space.

Spellink mispake Xbian-config -> System -> Network -> Statis "adress" instead of "address".

XBMC - xbian-config - Not updating packages: See https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/441

RE: beta2 ongoing development - tehnatural - 19th Aug, 2013 02:14 PM

Any chance of having this commit from xbmc added to beta 2? c90da1375e57c7b1db0f39353830d08adc9dd6be

"This should bring massive improvement for wireless streaming in general. Example: When we think of a wireless lan, that does 10 times "get me some data" and cause of bad reception and so on 5 times won't get anything. When increasing the reading rate, you need less succesful amounts of "get some data"s but your cache won't run empty, cause of the higher transfer speed"

Re: RE: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 19th Aug, 2013 05:12 PM

(19th Aug, 2013 02:14 PM)tehnatural Wrote:  Any chance of having this commit from xbmc added to beta 2? c90da1375e57c7b1db0f39353830d08adc9dd6be

"This should bring massive improvement for wireless streaming in general. Example: When we think of a wireless lan, that does 10 times "get me some data" and cause of bad reception and so on 5 times won't get anything. When increasing the reading rate, you need less succesful amounts of "get some data"s but your cache won't run empty, cause of the higher transfer speed"

Anything in the mainline XBMC git will be in Xbian.

This commit allows one to fill the buffer from a stream based on a multiplier placed in advancedsettings.xml instead of simply throttling the stream based on bitrate. This is a WELCOME change, I am excited to see how well it works also.

Re: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 20th Aug, 2013 02:07 PM

I got around to testing the new readBufferFactor commit and I love it, my buffer fills almost instantly and streaming is much less likely to re-buffer.

When it's included in Xbian you can add this to to your advancedsettings.xml network section to enable.

<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor>

RE: beta2 ongoing development - Airwolfuk - 20th Aug, 2013 05:57 PM

how far away is beta2 from general release?

I would love to get involved in testing beta2 so is there a step by step guide available as the first post is not clear to me

thanks

RE: beta2 ongoing development - brantje - 20th Aug, 2013 07:38 PM

We should add the readbufferfactor by default on new installations.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - brantje - 20th Aug, 2013 07:41 PM

(20th Aug, 2013 05:57 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  how far away is beta2 from general release?

I would love to get involved in testing beta2 so is there a step by step guide available as the first post is not clear to me

thanks

==MAKE A BACKUP FIRST==

Terminal

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
2. replace
Code:
deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt wheezy main
with
Code:
deb http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com wheezy main
Terminal

apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall xbian-package-config-shell btrfs-tools
this will install the hooks creating snapshots and tool itself.

If all ok, you're now on beta 1.2

Press thanks if this helped you, thanks =)

RE: beta2 ongoing development - Airwolfuk - 20th Aug, 2013 10:19 PM

(20th Aug, 2013 07:41 PM)brantje Wrote:  
(20th Aug, 2013 05:57 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  how far away is beta2 from general release?

thanks

==MAKE A BACKUP FIRST==

Terminal

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
2. replace
Code:
deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt wheezy main
with
Code:
deb http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com wheezy main
Terminal

apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall xbian-package-config-shell btrfs-tools
this will install the hooks creating snapshots and tool itself.

If all ok, you're now on beta 1.2

Press thanks if this helped you, thanks =)

thanks for the guidance. however, according to the system information panel i am still on beta 1.1.

I'll try again from a fresh beta 1.1 install as i have been messing around prior to your post.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 21st Aug, 2013 04:26 AM

Unfortunately there is a lot of information missing.

(This is from memory - I'm not on my main computer)
From page 1. You need to create the snapshot --name beta2
Change cmdline.txt to root/@ to root/@beta2
Reboot
apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
You will see a list of held back packages, copy that list.
When it has finished
apt-get install <list of held back packages> xbian-update should be the last one.

When asked about keeping configuration files. I've been answering Y to both of them

If all goes well, now you will be on Beta 2.

It is still a little buggy on Lirc, Network, USB install but it should be functional. Please read the whole of the thread first to get an idea of what might go wrong, or what has gone wrong before posting any errors.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 23rd Aug, 2013 11:40 PM

** A word of warning to anyone upgrading or attempting to install **

You will need a SD card greater than 2G. I've done a fresh install of Beta 1.1 and upgraded to Beta 1.2. Ran apt-get autoremove and /dev/mmcblk0p2 is at 93% (100M free). With snapshot running, and a few modifications, it won't be long before the card is full and all sorts of weird things starts happening!!

RE: beta2 ongoing development - Ger Teunis - 24th Aug, 2013 07:34 AM

Any change the speed improvement back port patches in omxplayer could be applied as well?
Please check the patch here:
http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/raspbmc/patches/XBMC-hardfp/patch_xbmc.sh

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 12:25 AM

(18th Aug, 2013 11:42 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Fresh Beta 1.1 install and upgrade.
Configuration file `/etc/default/xbmc' answered Y.
Configuration file `/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/15update-stamp' answered Y.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still no network. Have to:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Setting N/W to static in XBMC xbian-config get the network up and running.

ssh xbian-config -> System -> Timezone: Errors about a module not found

When the screensaver kicks in for the first time - you can see the xbian loading logo in the background.

I've also noticed - it could just be me - but when testing on a 2G SD card - I'm constantly running out of space.

Spellink mispake Xbian-config -> System -> Network -> Statis "adress" instead of "address".

XBMC - xbian-config - Not updating packages: See https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/441

regarding the dhcp on eth0, I would appretiate if you can post /etc/network/interface before the change to static (the non-working setup) and also output of "ipconfig -d eth0 -c dhcp" and /run/net-eth0.conf file (if ipconfig obtains IP. if not, the file won't be created).

the xbmc config not installing updates - please discuss with Belese.

timezone is fixed.

the logo on dimmed screen - when it happens, check "ps aux | grep splash", whether there is only one process, or two. should be one.

(15th Aug, 2013 08:02 PM)belese Wrote:  but i try to changed this file on my pc :
/root/@/etc/default/tmpfs
and change
RUN_SIZE=10240 like before,
but same error (also with snapshot, not sure it's the right file i've changed),
and i've no usb keyboard, so can't do anything on pi

this file (settings) get's part of initramfs.gz. so if you change it, you need to rerun "xbian-update-initramfs".

and yes, it's related.
during past days three times happened, that a very bad typo (or new bug introduced) got compiled to .deb and posted to apt repo.

one was this one, second was circular dependency in xbian-update <-> xbian-package-xbmc and … I don't remember.

since few days, I'm taking apt access down from internet for the time until I test the packages with installing over beta 2 and installing as update to beta 1.0.

it wasn't problem when we started with beta 2 - in 20 minutes I realized and nothing happened. but for the past two weeks I have 80 unique IPs downloading packages and checking for updates constantly what means "someone" always get the wrong one.

but maybe even we should put the beta2 under password, all the 80 installations make no benefit without feedback.

(14th Aug, 2013 11:05 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Just done a fresh install and upgraded all packages.
Same issue, no network. I noticed that udhcp was uninstalled as it was no longer required.

just a note, there is no need to do a clean install. there is no difference between clean install and update or updated install in any shape and update again.

(16th Aug, 2013 01:14 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  Is network part of upstart?

yes, the same way as with sysvinit, the networking scripts are essential part of base system scripts.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 25th Aug, 2013 01:35 AM

@mk01 I'm trying a fresh install onto my 2G card which was converted to run on my Flash Drive following the "Boot from USB install" thread. It worked on Beta 1.1 but when I tried to upgrade it errored because of the snapshots.

I know this is because I changed the fstab and cmdline.txt from LABEL=xbian-root-btrfs to root=/dev/sda1.
So what do I need to put in fstab and cmdline.txt to get it to run correctly? TIA

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 07:15 AM

you lost me a bit now.

so you want to install beta2 updates to copied setup? and the copy was the simplified one without creating root, root/@, home and home/@?