Forum
beta2 ongoing development - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 ongoing development (/thread-1121.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 09:21 AM

(23rd Aug, 2013 11:40 PM)IriDium Wrote:  ** A word of warning to anyone upgrading or attempting to install **

You will need a SD card greater than 2G. I've done a fresh install of Beta 1.1 and upgraded to Beta 1.2. Ran apt-get autoremove and /dev/mmcblk0p2 is at 93% (100M free). With snapshot running, and a few modifications, it won't be long before the card is full and all sorts of weird things starts happening!!

you can remove the stock @safe snapshot for root and home. this can make over 500-700MB free again.

I'm just thinking that this could be a new install popup during first xbian-config launch. some explanations and question "do you want to keep or delete it"...

(20th Aug, 2013 10:19 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  thanks for the guidance. however, according to the system information panel i am still on beta 1.1.

I'll try again from a fresh beta 1.1 install as i have been messing around prior to your post.

the first two packages will only install toolset which allows you to easy "fork" your beta1.1 to beta2 (beta1.1 install preserved). you can then reboot into this new "fork" and run beta2 updates on it. this has the advantage that if any package / update what's ever make your install not working as expected, you just edit cmdline.txt and without ref lash, repartitioning or other time consuming tasks you revert / reboot into the initial beta1.1 - while your xbmc settings / DB get's preserved.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 25th Aug, 2013 06:27 PM

(25th Aug, 2013 07:15 AM)mk01 Wrote:  you lost me a bit now.

so you want to install beta2 updates to copied setup? and the copy was the simplified one without creating root, root/@, home and home/@?
Because I keep running out of room on the root volume, I upgraded from a Beta 1.1 USB install - however, because of the "new" snapshot function, I have no idea what values I need to put in cmdline.txt and fstab to be able to still "boot" from the USB drive and be able to continue the upgrade.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 08:28 PM

(25th Aug, 2013 06:27 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Because I keep running out of room on the root volume, I upgraded from a Beta 1.1 USB install - however, because of the "new" snapshot function, I have no idea what values I need to put in cmdline.txt and fstab to be able to still "boot" from the USB drive and be able to continue the upgrade.

so you have installation without any subvolumes? all files just directly copied into the plain btrfs filesystem?

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 25th Aug, 2013 10:11 PM

I basically follow the instructions http://forum.xbian.org/thread-427-post-12999.html#pid12999

Which means I change:
change "LABEL=xbian-root-btrfs" to "root=/dev/sda1", remove "subvol=root/@," option from "/" in fstab.
and
change "LABEL=xbian-root-btrfs" to "root=/dev/sda1" remove "subvol=root/@" from cmdline.txt.

That works.

...but when I want to upgrade to Beta 1.2 it errors on

btrfs-auto-snapshot snapshot —name beta2 root with volume not found.

So what should I have in FSTAB and CMDLINE.TXT to use subvolumes but also load from /dev/sda1

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 25th Aug, 2013 11:12 PM

Quote:regarding the dhcp on eth0, I would appretiate if you can post /etc/network/interface before the change to static (the non-working setup) and also output of "ipconfig -d eth0 -c dhcp" and /run/net-eth0.conf file (if ipconfig obtains IP. if not, the file won't be created).

Interfaces
-----------------------------
auto eth0
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
wireless-power off
iface default inet dhcp
------------------------------
ipconfig -d eth0 -c dhcp
IP-Config:eth0 hardware address xxxxxx mtu 1500 DHCP RARP
...... and then just hangs - Have to cntl C to end.

net-eth0.conf does not exist.
-------------------------------

Timezone problem was caused by XBMC and the "new" levels of user. It "Hid" the option to change the timezone.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 11:32 PM

(25th Aug, 2013 10:11 PM)IriDium Wrote:  btrfs-auto-snapshot snapshot —name beta2 root with volume not found.

So what should I have in FSTAB and CMDLINE.TXT to use subvolumes but also load from /dev/sda1

ok, it's plain. cmdline.txt is used only to determine which filesystem to start rootfs from - and this you have correct.

to make it work, you have to create root and home subvolumes, create @ snapshots from them and move root / home content to root/@ and home/@ respectively.

exactly this code is used in initramfs/conversion function (ext4->btrfs). I will copy & paste the code for you - and adapt.

Code:
mv /root /root.home
btrfs sub create /root
btrfs sub snap / /root/@
mv /root/@/root.home /root/@/root
btrfs sub create /home
btrfs sub create /home/@
mv /root/@/home/* /home/@

edit cmdline.txt and add to rootfsopts=subvol=root/@,PREVIOUS_OPTIONS...

you don't have to update fstab anymore. after reboot XBMC won't start because home/xbian won't be mounted, but as soon as you install updates, this will be corrected. just log in to RPI and stop xbmc (otherwise it will be respawning over and over again) and remove files from root of the btrfs (which we couldn't move, we just created snapshot and now rebooted from it)

Code:
mount -o subvol=/ /dev/XXXX /mnt
for f in $(ls /mnt); do [ $f != root -a $f != home ] && rm -fr $f; done
umount /mnt

install updates

as I posted in one other thread, beta2 is making any "USB copies" which do not retain subvol structure not working properly. the error you encountered is not the main problem there.

(25th Aug, 2013 11:12 PM)IriDium Wrote:  ipconfig -d eth0 -c dhcp
...... and then just hangs - Have to cntl C to end.

and just "ipconfig eth0" or "ipconfig -n xbian eth0" ?

what is the dhcp server ? is it router, or dhcpd service on linux, or the NAS you have?

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 25th Aug, 2013 11:54 PM

root@xbian:~# mv /root/@/root.home /root/@/root
mv: cannot move `/root/@/root.home' to `/root/@/root/root.home': Operation not permitted
root@xbian:~#

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 12:12 AM

if the /root (user root home dir) is already recreated, you can ignore this, or delete the old "rm -fr /root/@/root.home"

(I see "#" on your prompt, so you can delete the old. new was recreated)

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 26th Aug, 2013 12:37 AM

Ok - all that went well.

Had to mv /home to /home.root as "btrfs sub create" /home stated that it already exists.

Will see if I still get the network error after the upgrade.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 12:47 AM

yes, you are right, just move the files to the /home/@ then (from /home.root)

the network error will definitely stay as low level tool can't get DHCP. in any way please try with the other options.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 26th Aug, 2013 01:36 AM

Everything went well in the upgrade until the final reboot.

Sceen was stuck on the xbian motd and a few lines of dmesg.

For some reason it was trying to boot off of mcblk02p and failing, so I checked cmdline.txt (it was empty), so I changed cmdline.new to root=/dev/sda1 - same issue. Tried copying cmdline.new to cmdline.txt but that just caused a Kernal Panic in initrams.

A lot seems to have changed since the last Beta 1.2

I've just started getting a whole host of CEC errors.
CecLogMessage - unhandled response received: opcode=90 initiator=1 destination=0 response=0

Which repeats over and over again. restarting XBMC solves the problem.

Is this part of the libcec problem already noted?

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 02:25 AM

(26th Aug, 2013 01:36 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Everything went well in the upgrade until the final reboot.

I've just started getting a whole host of CEC errors.
CecLogMessage - unhandled response received: opcode=90 initiator=1 destination=0 response=0

Which repeats over and over again. restarting XBMC solves the problem.

Is this part of the libcec problem already noted?

it was trying mmcblk0p2 because cmdline.txt was empty so no parameters. I can only speculate why /boot corrupted.

I'm aware of the CecLog messages. Despite the log there is no issue (at least I didn't realized). It is not related.

did you please tried
Code:
and just "ipconfig eth0" or "ipconfig -n xbian eth0" ?

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 26th Aug, 2013 02:52 AM

My mistake:

2 cards in use here
1) 8G Beta 1.2 prior to Wheezy 7 update
2) 2G Beta 1.2 on USB drive

Ceci error is on 1)
Boot is on 2)

Card 1.
ipconfig eth0 just hangs. Even on static settings
ipconfig -n xbian eth0; Errors and then just hangs ipconfig: xbian: SIOCGIFINDEX: No such device
DHCP is handled by the router - and has never had any problems before. It works on Windoze, Mac Osx, Ubuntu, Android Phone, Raspbmc, Openelec, and Xbian prior to Beta 1.2

Card 2
If I copy cmdline.new into cmdline.txt (and change LABEL to /dev/sda1) then I get a the kernel panic.

I did have problems with /home as when it was recreated it was owned by root not xbian, so a few bits errored.

Maybe I need to upgrade first to Beta 1.2 then move it to the SD card.

However, there are many users who will have converted to using a USB in Beta 1.1 so an upgrade path for them needs to be thought of.

@mk01

As the development stage is almost over and in preparation to a final release can we start a new thread for all "New" problems.

Probably called "Beta 2 final testing" and close this thread as there is a lot of information that is no longer valid.

Include steps of how to backup required folders, upgrade steps, known problems - which can be ticked off as and when fixed and details of how to add to github with [Beta 1.2] prefix.

An upgrade script would be useful but only from Beta 1.1 if there would be issues with Beta 1 and Alpha 4/5.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 06:35 AM

(26th Aug, 2013 02:52 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Card 1.
ipconfig eth0 just hangs. Even on static settings
ipconfig -n xbian eth0; Errors and then just hangs ipconfig: xbian: SIOCGIFINDEX: No such device
DHCP is handled by the router - and has never had any problems before. It works on Windoze, Mac Osx, Ubuntu, Android Phone, Raspbmc, Openelec, and Xbian prior to Beta 1.2

ok, just to clear this up. ipconfig is not a script / toolchain to work with setup. it is just micro tool to set interface according to command line parameters - in the beta2 used for obtaining IP in case of DHCP. a hang is just it is with no timeout waiting for DHCP ack from server. I messed the args, just try this:

ipconfig -i xbian -d eth0 …. if you get no IP up to 10 seconds, we have to revert to either udhcpc, dhclient3 or the big ugly isc-common-client.

I have issues more or less with any of them, only isc-common-client was always ok, but it takes 8s for it to get dhcp addr. with ipconfig 2s, with udhcpc 4s.

so please test the last "form" of ipconfig. if you say no again, I will replace by udhcpc.

btw: the current xbian-updat 1.0-1.2 revision is 27 (/etc/xbian_revision) file.

(26th Aug, 2013 02:52 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I did have problems with /home as when it was recreated it was owned by root not xbian, so a few bits errored.

Maybe I need to upgrade first to Beta 1.2 then move it to the SD card.

An upgrade script would be useful but only from Beta 1.1 if there would be issues with Beta 1 and Alpha 4/5.

we did something wrong when we tried to re-create the correct structure. if you don't insist on keeping the 2gb as it is, use the xbian-config option for cloning the card.

(i'm sure it's like that but will ask anyway. by changing LABEL to /dev/sda1 you mean whole LABEL=xbian-root-btrfs so that it will look like
Code:
root=/dev/sda1

and not root=/dev/sda1=xbian-root-btrfs ?

you can correct the home with "sudo chown -Rc xbian:xbian /home/xbian once booted.

mk

(26th Aug, 2013 02:52 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @mk01

As the development stage is almost over and in preparation to a final release can we start a new thread for all "New" problems.

Probably called "Beta 2 final testing" and close this thread as there is a lot of information that is no longer valid.

I will do as soon as we clear the network tool usage and you confirm you have on other issues.

IriDIum,

just changed to udhcpc in revision 28 and even found the ISSUE which caused cmdline.txt mess-up.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 27th Aug, 2013 06:13 AM

Latest upgrade has caused more issues.

xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo apt-get -s install xbian-update
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libass-dev libavformat-extra-53 libbluray-dev libenca-dev libexpat1-dev
libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libjasper-dev libpostproc-extra-52
libswscale-extra-2
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common
Suggested packages:
resolvconf avahi-autoipd
The following NEW packages will be installed:
isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common
The following packages will be upgraded:
xbian-update
1 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential package xbian-update:armhf due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
E: Reverse conflicts early remove for package 'isc-dhcp-common:armhf' failed

No SWAP either