Forum
beta2 ongoing development - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 ongoing development (/thread-1121.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 22nd Jul, 2013 12:50 AM

(20th Jul, 2013 11:00 AM)5ft24 Wrote:  I've followed everything, copy/paste etc, and I get:

root@xbian:~# btrfs-auto-snapshot snapshot -name 'beta2' root
getopt: invalid option -- 'a'

(20th Jul, 2013 11:00 AM)5ft24 Wrote:  I've followed everything, copy/paste etc, and I get:

root@xbian:~# btrfs-auto-snapshot snapshot -name 'beta2' root
getopt: invalid option -- 'a'

figured it out...
The original code only shows as "-name" it needs to be "--name"

Original text is only -name. Yet if you cut and paste from windoze it appears as .name!!

Ok. Following the "new" instructions on a Beta 1.1 fresh install. All seems to be going well.

Slight problems. -name should be --name and in windoze a copy/paste comes out as .name
During the reinstall, dpkg returned an error about unable to get a lock. Could be because of XBMC or the reinstall. Retried the packages seperately and all went well.

If it is XBMC might be worth adding stop xbmc in the instructions.

Ran the upgrade Ok
apt-get install xbian-update : returned errors. Tried --reinstall and then upgrade. Seemed to work. System rebooted. Xbian screen stuck on SD card resize.
Can ssh in - unable to find /home/xbian

Will try the restore part and see if that works, then try the upgrade again.

Now run out of room, rootfs = 100% on 2GB card. Probably all of the snapshops. Will have to try on an 8GB card

RE: beta2 ongoing development - nsviper - 23rd Jul, 2013 06:19 AM

ok, so starting again from a CLEAN alpha5 installation, then following updated instructions in initial post:

Getting as far as apt-get install --reinstall xbian-package-config-shell btrfs-tools and i'm getting errors straight away:

http://pastebin.com/CNKGJZnh

So, decided to ignore the backups and went straight onto upgrade - easy enough to reinstall.

Will post updates from latest build when I can.

apt-get install xbian-update

http://pastebin.com/3RCya3gN

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 23rd Jul, 2013 10:44 PM

Beta 1.1 Upgrade 8GB SD card.

All went well, also upgraded xbian-package-xbmc today as that was available.

apt-get install --reinstall xbian-update.

dpkg returned an error: - Upgrade.txt

start: Job failed to start

dmesg: dmesg.txt

Reboot:
Failed to start. Error mounting /dev/mmcp0p2
Somehow cmdline.txt was missing. Copied cmdline.txt.old to cmdline.txt
Reboot command, did not work. Had to reboot -f
Partial success
Code:
init: xbmc pre-start process (643) terminated with status 1
init: Unable to connect to the system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
XBMC failed to start;
Code:
start: Job failed to start

That's as far as I can go, I've tried all the alternatives.

What size are the snapshots? I've a feeling that 30 daily and 50 weekly may be too much for the standard 2GB install.

Can we get a list and version of what packages SHOULD be installed after the upgrade. Tnx

Re: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 23rd Jul, 2013 11:33 PM

Subscribing, will try this evening.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 24th Jul, 2013 04:18 PM

I also think we should include all the work done on USB installation into beta 2 as well.

Re: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 26th Jul, 2013 05:28 AM

These are the issues that occurred.

1.) Couldn't unpack firmware (out of space on /boot). | Fixed by freeing up a few megabytes on /boot.

2.) No XBMC service after update. | Temporary workaround is launch /usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin

Has things moved away from services? Either way XBMC is not starting automatically now.

I have the root filesystem on USB which may or may not matter. :-)

A warning about needing X amount of space on /boot should be in the OP and fix the missing XBMC service from your updated XBMC package.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - sir106 - 27th Jul, 2013 08:07 AM

(22nd Jul, 2013 12:50 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Ran the upgrade Ok
apt-get install xbian-update : returned errors. Tried --reinstall and then upgrade. Seemed to work. System rebooted. Xbian screen stuck on SD card resize.

same problem here - stuck at "sd card resize" - even with 8 GB SDCard upgraded from beta1

RE: beta2 ongoing development - sir106 - 27th Jul, 2013 09:34 AM

2nd try:
- 8GB XBIAN v1.1
- changed repo
- left out backup steps
- apt-get clean && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

REBOOT: => missing xbmc service - not starting at bootup

doing: apt-get dist-upgrade for upgrading xbian-update

AUTOMATIC REBOOT: => stuck on sd card resize ;(

2nd REBOOT: stuck on init process

what did I do wrong?

Re: RE: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 27th Jul, 2013 09:48 AM

(27th Jul, 2013 09:34 AM)sir106 Wrote:  2nd try:
- 8GB XBIAN v1.1
- changed repo
- left out backup steps
- apt-get clean && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

REBOOT: => missing xbmc service - not starting at bootup

doing: apt-get dist-upgrade for upgrading xbian-update

AUTOMATIC REBOOT: => stuck on sd card resize ;(

2nd REBOOT: stuck on init process

what did I do wrong?

You had it right until you did the dist-upgrade. The service is missing, I posted above how to start xbmc.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - sir106 - 27th Jul, 2013 05:30 PM

(27th Jul, 2013 09:48 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  You had it right until you did the dist-upgrade. The service is missing, I posted above how to start xbmc.
yes, manual startup worked fine.

but the instructions on the first page told to upgrade also xbian-update...

how is this done or isn't this needed?

RE: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 28th Jul, 2013 02:44 AM

(27th Jul, 2013 05:30 PM)sir106 Wrote:  
(27th Jul, 2013 09:48 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  You had it right until you did the dist-upgrade. The service is missing, I posted above how to start xbmc.
yes, manual startup worked fine.

but the instructions on the first page told to upgrade also xbian-update...

After you reboot to @beta2 you simply run "sudo apt-get upgrade".

To temporarily fix xbmc not starting you can replace the contents of /etc/init/xbmc.conf with the following (I see the proper fix is on github but I will leave this for now):

Code:
#!upstart
description "xbmc"

env USER=xbian
env GROUP=xbian
env DAEMON="/usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin"
env DAEMON_ARGS="--standalone"

stop on runlevel [06]

nice -3

kill timeout 15

expect daemon

exec start-stop-daemon --start --quiet -b --make-pidfile --pidfile /run/xbmc.pid --chuid $USER -g $GROUP --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_ARGS

pre-stop exec start-stop-daemon --stop --signal TERM --pidfile /run/xbmc.pid --quiet --exec $DAEMON

Re: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 28th Jul, 2013 04:05 AM

I don't know what the difference is but from a fresh beta1.1 install then upgrade to beta2 drives are no longer shown in XBMC even though they indeed are mounted.

It is certainly related to dbus but I don't know the inner workings of XBMC enough to fix the issue.

Previously I went from Alpha5 to Beta1.1 following an upgrade path then upgraded to Beta2, no dbus error and drives were working as they should. Had a power outage today and it toasted my installation so I can't research deeper into the working installation I had.

To replicate the working installation I previously had (less the xbmc startup issue) you could install Alpha5 then follow the upgrade from Alpha5 to Beta1.1 using these instructions ( http://forum.xbian.org/showthread.php?tid=1077), then upgrade to Beta2 following the instructions in the OP of this thread. I may give it a go later.

If you do this be sure to comment out the repo you add from Koenkk's Beta1.1 upgrade before upgrading to Beta2.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 28th Jul, 2013 04:27 AM

(28th Jul, 2013 04:05 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  I don't know what the difference is but from a fresh beta1.1 install then upgrade to beta2 drives are no longer shown in XBMC even though they indeed are mounted.

It is certainly related to dbus but I don't know the inner workings of XBMC enough to fix the issue.

Previously I went from Alpha5 to Beta1.1 following an upgrade path then upgraded to Beta2, no dbus error and drives were working as they should. Had a power outage today and it toasted my installation so I can't research deeper into the working installation I had.

To replicate the working installation I previously had (less the xbmc startup issue) you could install Alpha5 then follow the upgrade from Alpha5 to Beta1.1 using these instructions ( http://forum.xbian.org/showthread.php?tid=1077), then upgrade to Beta2 following the instructions in the OP of this thread. I may give it a go later.

If you do this be sure to comment out the repo you add from Koenkk's Beta1.1 upgrade before upgrading to Beta2.

If it is related to dbus, then that will be the problem. See github #432

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 31st Jul, 2013 07:10 PM

(28th Jul, 2013 04:05 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  If you do this be sure to comment out the repo you add from Koenkk's Beta1.1 upgrade before upgrading to Beta2.

xbian-update support upgrades from alpha5/beta1/beta1.1 to beta2 directly. this one by one approach is not needed.

since beta2, xbian-update is able (and will be able for future versions as well) to update the same version over and over again.

so for instance you have already few days old beta2 installation, you can reinstall xbian-update over again.

btw: as of today I finished with changes I wanted to have in beta2, only fixes will come if needed.

also I was testing updates from beta1, 1.1 as well. I had myself some issues to perform the updates and fixes followed.

I would appreciate some testing, specially upgrades from what-ever version - the more "unclean", the better.

in will also double check the public 1.1 image, with all the post I was going through after two weeks, I'm not quite sure it is as it was supposed to be.

I will be very happy if we deploy beta2 as soon as possible. more or less also from the aspect that many fixes to beta1.1 are not possible only via packages update, because there is too much dependency to xbian-update magic, so it's like fixing bug means installing beta2.

(27th Jul, 2013 05:30 PM)sir106 Wrote:  but the instructions on the first page told to upgrade also xbian-update...

dist-upgrade is very very bad to be honest, dist-upgrade tries to keep the distro at the factory (or actual) APT status, what means actually downgrade to debian wheezy with all the sysvinit environment - which is not compatible with recent versions of xbian-packages.

prior betas xbian-update was handled somehow specially, but we put much effort into making the xbian-update package workings as much as general packages and updates to them.

so don't take any special steps, just update what is available, including xbian-update .

(27th Jul, 2013 09:34 AM)sir106 Wrote:  2nd REBOOT: stuck on init process

what did I do wrong?

I have to admit, the initramfs stage freeze, or later "loading…" freeze was more or less caused by me. I didn't realize that one small settings file I was using personally for months in not on stock xbian releases and made some scripts and initramfs image dependent on it.

so I didn't realize this mistake until I tried clean img update. then realized quickly and put this file into xbian-update for update.

(23rd Jul, 2013 10:44 PM)IriDium Wrote:  What size are the snapshots? I've a feeling that 30 daily and 50 weekly may be too much for the standard 2GB install.

Can we get a list and version of what packages SHOULD be installed after the upgrade. Tnx

snapshot has no additional size, until you make change on the actual state of filesystem.

then, the size of snapshot is the size of the change you actually did. the difference between it's state and your actual.

5 weekly should be, if there is 50, it's typo. it can be much today, because with each update try we put more let's say 70mb to all existing snapshots.

usually, on well running system it stabilizes on some maximum, which is not so much over the size of actual filesystems. let's say +30%.

you can edit /etc/cron.daily/xbian…. /etc/cron.weekly/xbian…. scripts and adjust the numbers. during the next snapshoting, all other snapshots will be destroyed.

(22nd Jul, 2013 12:50 AM)IriDium Wrote:  apt-get install xbian-update : returned errors. Tried --reinstall and then upgrade. Seemed to work. System rebooted. Xbian screen stuck on SD card resize.

this was the problem i described earlier. unfortunately the packages affected were on the repo for few days until I realized.

Re: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 31st Jul, 2013 11:57 PM

@mk01

After upgrading today there are a couple of issues.

1. XBMC does not start on its own, must run 'start xbmc'

2. /etc/lirc/lircd.conf is moved to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.xbian semi-breaking lircd if configured according to the wiki.

3. There is no lircd service to stop/start even though it does start on boot.

4. The lirc_rpi module is not loading upon bootup, must manually 'modprobe lirc_rpi'

So to get back to where I was I had to move lircd.conf.xbian to lircd.conf, modprobe lirc_rpi and finally start xbmc.