Forum
beta2 ongoing development - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: beta2 ongoing development (/thread-1121.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 4th Aug, 2013 08:35 PM

I would have thought that we are testing ONLY the functionality of BETA2, not additional Addons, skins nor anything else that is not standard.

Issues:
1) Addon: Weather does not work - does not show any values
2) Service: restart xbmc shows only black screen. Command hangs i.e does not go back to prompt.
2a) Ditto start xbmc. Hangs but does not start xbmc
3) Dunno: Issuing reboot, when screen is in terminal mode you see the lines tick, tock appear.
4) Service: ssh poweroff seems to reboot, not power off. (Even says going down for power off but reboots).

RE: beta2 ongoing development - mk01 - 5th Aug, 2013 01:43 AM

the 2-4 problems looks exactly like xbmc's scripts put of phase (versioning) with the overall scripting inside xbian-update. Can be a installation problem, apt installed one but no the second. I was not so strict with versioning during beta2 development, I have to start with it.

Or I published one half (of xbian packages - but not the second). Unfortunattely since morning I can't get my devel server running, so i can't check.

When I put it online, will let you know to do
Code:
apt-get clean; apt-get update; dpkg --get-selections xbian* |xargs apt-get install --reinstall

what will effectively solve the issues if the repo will be in sync.

The wether though is interesting. You have standatrd skin? Can you try Amber? I'm using only Quartz (now Amber skin) and is working with no issues all over the time.

Will change to default skin if it is what you have and test.

Re: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 5th Aug, 2013 02:06 AM

Weather underground didn't like the load XBMC was causing so they (XBMC developers) removed it, go to weather settings and install Yahoo then set zip or city.

XMBC Pull Request #2987 and Commit #55cef77 at xbmc/xbmc https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/55cef7745a827858f99973d4145c6211d5c59496

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 6th Aug, 2013 12:58 AM

Ok. Weather Underground does not work (which is a shame as it was the best of the bunch) - so it needs to be removed as it is the default.
Yahoo and Wolrdweatheronline works.

4) sudo poweroff works as intended, it might have been because of the previous errors that "it got confused"

Re: RE: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 6th Aug, 2013 01:03 AM

(6th Aug, 2013 12:58 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Ok. Weather Underground does not work (which is a shame as it was the best of the bunch) - so it needs to be removed as it is the default.
Yahoo and Wolrdweatheronline works.

4) sudo poweroff works as intended, it might have been because of the previous errors that "it got confused"

When XBMC is updated it will be removed as it's already been committed to the the XBMC git.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 6th Aug, 2013 01:41 AM

May or may not be an issue.
I've never played a "real" DVD before so not too sure what should happen. I've tried this in Beta 1.1 with the same results.

I go to video -> Files and I can see the DVD there (It shows a nice green DVD player) and shows the ID (BBCDVD117).

Selecting it, I can see the folders bin, boot, dev etc etc. (pun) as if it's been mounted at /
I would have expected to see the .vob files.
However, it does not show up in df -h nor in mount.

Re: RE: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 6th Aug, 2013 01:42 AM

(6th Aug, 2013 01:41 AM)IriDium Wrote:  May or may not be an issue.
I've never played a "real" DVD before so not too sure what should happen. I've tried this in Beta 1.1 with the same results.

I go to video -> Files and I can see the DVD there (It shows a nice green DVD player) and shows the ID (BBCDVD117).

Selecting it, I can see that it has been mounted at / as I can see the folders bin, boot, dev etc etc. (pun)

Not in media or mnt?

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 6th Aug, 2013 01:51 AM

(6th Aug, 2013 01:42 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  

Selecting it, I can see that it has been mounted at / as I can see the folders bin, boot, dev etc etc. (pun)

Not in media or mnt?

Nothing in any of those folders. It must be mounted somewhere as it can read the unique DVD ID but within XBMC it "seems' to be mounted on / because of the folders I can see.

May be related to http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1186.html?highlight=dvd

Right clicking shows Play Disc, Eject/Load but none of them work.

Re: RE: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 6th Aug, 2013 02:21 AM

(6th Aug, 2013 01:51 AM)IriDium Wrote:  
(6th Aug, 2013 01:42 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  

Not in media or mnt?

Nothing in any of those folders. It must be mounted somewhere as it can read the unique DVD ID but within XBMC it "seems' to be mounted on / because of the folders I can see.

May be related to http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1186.html?highlight=dvd

Right clicking shows Play Disc, Eject/Load but none of them work.

I'd be interested in knowing if in alpha3 you could indeed watch DVD movies simply by installing libdvdcss.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 6th Aug, 2013 02:38 AM

Ok, it's probably just my usb DVD - I've tried on a fresh Alpha 5 and it's the same issue.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 6th Aug, 2013 04:02 AM

mk01 - Well done for all the work you have done.

IMHO: Beta2 seems so reliable, it should be released to a select few for further testing - especially in the areas of Navi-x (and derivatives), Airplay, Mice and remotes, and playback over network.

It might be worth compiling a list of test areas that could be "signed off" as "probably working" (We will never know if everything works - especially with all the different add on and h/w around.

@mk01 Can Beta 2 be installed onto a USB drive and if so how? I would like eventually for it to be included into xbian-config (along with a restore function) but I know that is not your area.

Also what are the size of the btrfs snapshots? It will be needed to calculate the minimum size of the SD card for installation. At the moment the Website recommends only 2GB. I have a feeling that may not be enough.

Ok - I spoke too soon. Playing a MKV that I have watched before on the PI. The whole system freezes (xbmc and Linux). Nothing in the XBMC log at time of freeze.

Might be H/W or S/W - who knows.

Had to do a hard reset

Tried again - and again freeze at the same spot. Me thinks it is h/w not s/w or possible RPi USB drivers. Who knows.

Re: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 6th Aug, 2013 06:38 AM

It's difficult to say how large a snapshot is, it depends on previous snapshots and their extents.

You will not be able to determine a general size for a btrfs snapshot.

It could range from 0 to say 100 megabytes, if their are previous snapshots the size will be toward the lower end.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - brantje - 6th Aug, 2013 06:53 AM

Little need to know (as this question is many asked on IRC)
Will beta support auto mount in such way that the device shows up under audio/video/ -> files as "External drive 1" or just the label of the drive.

Re: RE: beta2 ongoing development - f1vefour - 6th Aug, 2013 01:58 PM

(6th Aug, 2013 06:53 AM)brantje Wrote:  Little need to know (as this question is many asked on IRC)
Will beta support auto mount in such way that the device shows up under audio/video/ -> files as "External drive 1" or just the label of the drive.

After re-reading your post I can better answer.

This is already working again in beta2, if you plugin an external drive it will show up in files with the label of the drive as the name.

RE: beta2 ongoing development - IriDium - 6th Aug, 2013 09:34 PM

Total freeze:

I've noticed on a number of occasions, that the RPi has suddenly frozen when playing a video - xbmc is still up but stuck on the video frame. No ssh panels respond, nmon is static. (These have been watched successfully on another RPi - albeit via SMB)

This has occurred on different movies, different USB drives and even with the HDD connected directly to the RPi USB.

Can someone else try and watch a LARGE video ~ 4g probably a MKV on a USB HDD and see if this freeze occurs.
---------------------------------------------
Just happened again. Only thing I could gleam from dmesg was:
init: xbian-xbmc-bridge main process (1513) terminated with status 1
init: xbian-xbmc-bridge main process ended, respawning