Forum
Delay XBMC startup - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Delay XBMC startup (/thread-1172.html)

Pages: 1 2

Delay XBMC startup - JD2k3 - 31st Jul, 2013 03:00 AM

Hey I'm currently using Xbian 1.0 beta 1.1 and have small issue related to the startup.

The problem is that I'm using wifi with a shared mysql library which can't be reached since XBMC is starting too fast. About 5~10 seconds after XBMC is started the wifi is working since then the date is changing from 1970 to a normal value Smile

I've tried to put a sleep in the /etc/init/xbmc.conf & /etc/init/xbmc-preload.conf but this just crashes to the login prompt instead of starting XBMC. Also tried the WAITFOR 'ntp' setting in /etc/default/xbmc but that didn't seem to do anything it just started XBMC too fast.

In openelec there is a feature to delay the start of XBMC until the network is working. Is it possible to add this somehow in Xbian?

Thanks!

RE: Delay XBMC startup - InspMustache - 31st Jul, 2013 05:54 AM

Have you tried adding the sleep command to /etc/rc.local ?

Re: Delay XBMC startup - f1vefour - 31st Jul, 2013 07:29 AM

Try adding rootwait=20 to /boot/cmdline.txt

RE: Delay XBMC startup - JD2k3 - 31st Jul, 2013 08:10 AM

Hey both thanks for the suggestions but they both don't seem to do anything.. If I manually run the /etc/rc.local it's waiting for the sleep but during boot it doesn't seem to do anything Sad

For the second option it already has by default 'rootwait=10' so I even changed it to 'rootwait=60' but nothing changed still starting without any delay Sad

RE: Delay XBMC startup - CurlyMo - 31st Jul, 2013 10:13 AM

try adding this in your cmdline.txt:
Code:
ip=:::::eth0:dhcp

RE: Delay XBMC startup - mk01 - 31st Jul, 2013 08:22 PM

(31st Jul, 2013 03:00 AM)JD2k3 Wrote:  In openelec there is a feature to delay the start of XBMC until the network is working. Is it possible to add this somehow in Xbian?

Thanks!

check the second post http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1117-post-13420.html#pid13420

also, you can add "wpa_supplicant" process to wait for, or dhclient (file /etc/default/xbmc)

check those options.

RE: Delay XBMC startup - JD2k3 - 1st Aug, 2013 07:31 AM

(31st Jul, 2013 10:13 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  try adding this in your cmdline.txt:
Code:
ip=:::::eth0:dhcp

Thanks for the suggestion but this option shows a nice blinking cursor on the screen probably since it's trying to start dhcp on eth0 while there's no cable there Tongue

(31st Jul, 2013 08:22 PM)mk01 Wrote:  check the second post http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1117-post-13420.html#pid13420

also, you can add "wpa_supplicant" process to wait for, or dhclient (file /etc/default/xbmc)

check those options.
The first two suggestions here don't seem to do anything I have a feeling that this WAITFOR option is completely ignored because my 'sleep' also didn't do anything.

Then I checked the suggestions in the referred topic since the second option is already in /etc/init/xbmc-preload.conf (default is: start on stopping mountall and started networking). So I added the first option and this is working fine! Smile

So now this line is as follows for me:

Code:
start on stopping mountall and started networking and net-device-up wlan0

If you need more stuff tested let me know.
Hope this helps for future updates of Xbian!

RE: Delay XBMC startup - mk01 - 1st Aug, 2013 08:14 AM

(1st Aug, 2013 07:31 AM)JD2k3 Wrote:  start on stopping mountall and started networking and net-device-up wlan0
[/code]

If you need more stuff tested let me know.
Hope this helps for future updates of Xbian!

fine that it works. so what about generalized setting like for instance
Code:
start on stopping mountall and started networking and net-device-up IFACE!=lo

?

the meaning of WAITFOR variable is list of processes which needs to appear on the process list (be started actually). putting sleep there will actually wait for sleep process to appear, not to sleep x seconds.

catch the event is always best option (net-device-up)

RE: Delay XBMC startup - JD2k3 - 3rd Aug, 2013 07:19 PM

(1st Aug, 2013 08:14 AM)mk01 Wrote:  fine that it works. so what about generalized setting like for instance
Code:
start on stopping mountall and started networking and net-device-up IFACE!=lo

?

the meaning of WAITFOR variable is list of processes which needs to appear on the process list (be started actually). putting sleep there will actually wait for sleep process to appear, not to sleep x seconds.

catch the event is always best option (net-device-up)
Yep this generalized setting also works so you can just add it in future versions I guess Smile

RE: Delay XBMC startup - Lupurus - 21st Sep, 2013 05:33 AM

Hi,
this doesn't work, if the mysql database is on the SD card. Starting mysql needs longer than starting xbmc. Any suggestions?

RE: Delay XBMC startup - mk01 - 21st Sep, 2013 09:01 PM

what xbian version ?

RE: Delay XBMC startup - Lupurus - 21st Sep, 2013 09:47 PM

The newest... xbian beta 1.1. The problem exists since 1.0, if I remember rightly.

RE: Delay XBMC startup - mk01 - 21st Sep, 2013 09:48 PM

and mysql is started as sysvinit script (from /etc/init.d/mysqld) ?

RE: Delay XBMC startup - Lupurus - 21st Sep, 2013 10:15 PM

I think so. Just installed with "sudo apt-get install ...". Didn't change anything

RE: Delay XBMC startup - mk01 - 21st Sep, 2013 10:30 PM

can please check, just to be sure ?

"ls -la /etc/init.d/mysql" and "ls -la /etc/init/mysql.conf"