Forum
rPlay support? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Additional Packages (/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: rPlay support? (/thread-1187.html)

Pages: 1 2

rPlay support? - Smultie - 4th Aug, 2013 07:08 AM

There has been some breakthrough in Airplay Mirroring and Chromecast!

This is their forum: http://www.vmlite.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=158&func=showcat&catid=23

It would perhaps be a good idea to get in touch with these guys and maybe add rPlay as a service or addon for XBian?

RE: rPlay support? - xraxor - 4th Aug, 2013 10:48 PM

this looks good

RE: rPlay support? - Smultie - 4th Aug, 2013 10:58 PM

(4th Aug, 2013 10:48 PM)xraxor Wrote:  this looks good

I know. Chromecast added as a service to XBMC would be awesome. Finally a full airplay-alternative for Android!

RE: rPlay support? - IriDium - 4th Aug, 2013 10:59 PM

I did see that someone was trying it on Raspbmc but they were getting ALSA errors. I thought ALSA was not supported on the RPi.

@Smultie. Is it possible for you to install it on Xbian and see what issues you get?

RE: rPlay support? - Smultie - 4th Aug, 2013 11:26 PM

I already tried that.
First time I followed their instructions

Quote:Instructions:

(1) prepare dependencies, run the following command on Pi

sudo apt-get install libao-dev avahi-utils libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev

(2) download, install and run

wget http://www.vmlite.com/rplay/rplay-1.0.0-armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i rplay-1.0.0-armhf.deb

this will install and launch /usr/bin/rplay, and it runs automatically on boot.

(3) manual start and stop

sudo /etc/init.d/rplay start
sudo /etc/init.d/rplay stop

if you want to see the output message, you can run this way:

sudo /user/bin/rplay

Make sure only one instance is running.

(4) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, enter the license key, without it, AirPlay mirroring won't work

once rplay is running, go to a browser and open this url:

http://<ip-address-of-pi>:7100/admin

or

http://localhost:7100/admin if you use the browser on the same Pi machine.

the username/password is: admin/admin

go down to the last one, enter the license number, click Submit.

You can also perform other admin tasks here.

(5) test regular AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

rPlay supports AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring. For iphone 4 and iPad 1, you can't do AirPlay mirroring, but you should be still
do AirPlay for Photos/Music/Videos. For iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, iPad 2 and above, you can also do AirPlay mirroring.

on your iOS devices, double click Home button, slide the most left, and choose rPlay as AirPlay device to connect.

for iOS 7, you need to quicly swipe up from the bottom tp bing up AirPlay window, and choose rPlay as AirPlay device to connect.

(6) test Chromecast

you need to install and update youtube-dl on pi, run the following command on Pi to auto update it:

sudo youtube-dl

right now, this is very simple implementation, it only works with YouTube app, either on Android or iOS.
make sure you download the latest YouTube app on your mobile device, then open YouTube app, pick a video to play, on the top right corner,
there will be a square chromecast button, tap it, and choose rPlay to connect.

the video should play on Pi, it won't be able to control with this version, we will improve it.

Thanks,

Some parts worked, but most didn't. Airplay via beamer.app for MacOS worked (like it does with a normal XBian installation.).
I saw the Chromecast-icon in Youtube for Android! Unfortunately it didn't work.
I found out I needed some other youtube-dl commands to get it to work.
Quote:for youtube-dl:

sudo apt-get youtube-dl
sudo youtube-dl --update

After that, sound worked via Chromecast, but video didn't.

Apparently there is a new version now, but one of the requirements is a new version of the RPi-firmware:
Quote:(1) update firmware:

sudo apt-get install rpi-update
sudo rpi-update

(2) allocate more memory to GPU

sudo raspi-config

then select memory_split, change the value to 256 if you have a Model B device, or 128 if you have Model A device.

(3) prepare dependencies, run the following command on Pi

sudo apt-get install libao-dev avahi-utils libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev libva-dev

(4) download, install and run

wget http://www.vmlite.com/rplay/rplay-1.0.0-armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i rplay-1.0.0-armhf.deb

this will install and launch /usr/bin/rplay, and it runs automatically on boot.

After step 1, the Pi needed to reboot, and Xbian wouldn't boot anylonger. SSH didn't work also, so I really dunno what happened there. Maybe XBian is not working with the latest RPi-firmware?

Btw, if you send an e-mail to info@vmlite.com you can request your own license key!

RE: rPlay support? - mk01 - 5th Aug, 2013 05:22 AM

not firmware is problem. the rpi-update script is. is custom sctipt written for raspberry os.

but I have seen in other forums you can read english quite competent and this is clearly stated even on sshs welcome screen during xbian user logging Smile)

for next time, if you want to update freeware, just few files are it:

1) /boot/bootcode.bin
2) /boot/fixup_x.dat renamed to fixup.dat .
3) start.elf as point 2)
4) /opt/vc folder (HF version)

that's all. anytime you can git pull rpi upstream repo directly to rpi in terminal - if you don't want to ask us for update if such really interesting functions are there.

RE: rPlay support? - Smultie - 5th Aug, 2013 06:54 PM

(5th Aug, 2013 05:22 AM)mk01 Wrote:  not firmware is problem. the rpi-update script is. is custom sctipt written for raspberry os.

but I have seen in other forums you can read english quite competent and this is clearly stated even on sshs welcome screen during xbian user logging Smile)

Aahh, right, I see it now Wink
My RPi with XBian is so damn quick I almost have no time to read that message Wink

RE: rPlay support? - belese - 14th Aug, 2013 04:09 AM

i've just test now the beta version,

i don't have ios device, but test the youtube chromecast,
and it work (with sound, because some alsa error on installation).

chomecast in very limited (only youtube application for now)

for xbian specific, it need to install omxplayer as dependency (sudo apt-get install omxplayer).

if someone want to try beta, i send them a email and have reponse in 15 minutes with instruction (just a deb package to download and install with a key)

RE: rPlay support? - mk01 - 14th Aug, 2013 04:17 AM

I would be interested in trying the AirMirror.

RE: rPlay support? - Airwolfuk - 3rd Sep, 2013 12:21 AM

(14th Aug, 2013 04:09 AM)belese Wrote:  i've just test now the beta version,

i don't have ios device, but test the youtube chromecast,
and it work (with sound, because some alsa error on installation).

chomecast in very limited (only youtube application for now)

for xbian specific, it need to install omxplayer as dependency (sudo apt-get install omxplayer).

if someone want to try beta, i send them a email and have reponse in 15 minutes with instruction (just a deb package to download and install with a key)

I installed the latest version (1.0.1) and it sort of works.

I did a clean install of beta 1.1 and initially airplay didn't work at all. I changed the dbus.conf file according to this post http://pinkjudy147.blogspot.nl/2013/07/how-to-fix-airplay-on-xbian-beta-11.html?m=1 but still local videos played as if they were music files with an equaliser graphic in XBian.

Anyway, not deterred i continued with the install instructions as posted.

rplay seems to replace the Xbian airplay icon on my iphone 5 (iOS7) device and i can select ok and optionally choose mirroring.

However, for either to work i have to exit XBian to the command prompt and i get video/ sound OK.

To get it to sort of work with Xbian running i have to start the screesaver (DIM) mode - something to do with layering perhaps or the fact rplay is a headless X Server and 'behind' XBMC?

This is now beyond my linux capabilities so waiting for the next version.

Re: rPlay support? - f1vefour - 4th Sep, 2013 12:26 PM

Omxplayer can't run on top of XBMC currently.

RE: rPlay support? - Airwolfuk - 4th Sep, 2013 06:29 PM

(4th Sep, 2013 12:26 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  Omxplayer can't run on top of XBMC currently.

hi f1vefour

To clarify, i installed Omxplayer and now after exiting XBian i can mirror OK and even Netflix now works with a slight video lag.

I can also run BBC iPlayer (mirrored and non mirrored) again after exiting Xbian and again when mirrored with a lag. Non mirrored does not have the lag.

I get video and audio with both.

Don't know if installing Omx also installed some missing libs but this didn't work before i did this....... unless i missed something and it would have worked before!!!

Re: RE: rPlay support? - f1vefour - 9th Sep, 2013 04:27 AM

(4th Sep, 2013 06:29 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  
(4th Sep, 2013 12:26 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  Omxplayer can't run on top of XBMC currently.

hi f1vefour

To clarify, i installed Omxplayer and now after exiting XBian i can mirror OK and even Netflix now works with a slight video lag.

I can also run BBC iPlayer (mirrored and non mirrored) again after exiting Xbian and again when mirrored with a lag. Non mirrored does not have the lag.

Don't know if installing Omx also installed some missing libs but this didn't work before i did this....... unless i missed something and it would have worked before!!!

How are you getting Netflix to work? I can see rPlay from the Android Netflix app but upon trying to send to rPlay I always receive an error.

RE: rPlay support? - Airwolfuk - 9th Sep, 2013 09:49 PM

(9th Sep, 2013 04:27 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  
(4th Sep, 2013 06:29 PM)Airwolfuk Wrote:  

hi f1vefour

How are you getting Netflix to work? I can see rPlay from the Android Netflix app but upon trying to send to rPlay I always receive an error.

hi -
My setup is:
Xbian on rpi - beta 1.2
Netflix on iPhone5, IOS7 beta 7
rpi connected to internet - ADSL
iPhone - wifi

Followed rplay install instructions and mirroring worked straight away except for audio.

sudo apt-get update ***
sudo apt-get upgrade ***

*** As i just upgraded Xbian 1.1 to 1.2 i missed out these two commands

sudo apt-get install libao-dev avahi-utils libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev libva-dev
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get install youtube-dl
sudo youtube-dl --update

reboot

sudo youtube-dl --update - yes i did it again
wget -O rplay-1.0.1-armhf.deb http://fromthe link you got in your email)
sudo dpkg -i rplay-1.0.1-armhf.deb

entered mirroring key
your IP address:7100/admin on laptop/PC

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835

fixed the audio problem and now get good video/ audio when mirroring Netflix with no apparent latency.

This time i did NOT install OMXPlayer so i guess either beta 1.2 fixed the previous issues or there were really no issues last time!

One thing i notice is that trying Chromecast from Netflix screws up rplay so don't go near it.

RE: rPlay support? - f1vefour - 10th Sep, 2013 01:53 AM

The difference is iOS, I use Android. Aggravating as I hate turning on the PS3 just to watch Netflix. Thanks.