Forum
[SOLVED] Wireless keyboard doesn't work with XBian - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Wireless keyboard doesn't work with XBian (/thread-1204.html)

Wireless keyboard doesn't work with XBian - Hachecode - 8th Aug, 2013 09:55 AM

Software
XBian version: beta 1.1
XBMC version: don't know
Overclock settings: ---

Hardware
Power supply rating: don't know
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): RPi B 512mb
SD card size and make/type: 4gb
Network (wireless or LAN): No
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): TV, Wireless keyboard Rii i10

Logile
Link to logfile(s): ---

Problem description:
I have a Kano kit with Raspbian preinstalled and working fine with my keyboard. The wireless keyboard is Rii i10.

I formatted SD and installed Xbian. Keyboard doesn't work
I formatted SD and installed Raspbian again. Keyboard works fine
I formatted SD and installed Xbian. Keyboard doesn't work
I formatted SD and installed Openelec. Keyboard doesn't work
I formatted SD and installed Raspbian again. Keyboard works fine

Sometimes (not every time) keyboard works for a couple of seconds and then crashes and it doesn't work. Keyboard is battery charged.
I tried using keyboard connected wireless, no-wireless.
I tried restarting keyboard.
In Raspbian everything goes right Huh

Any idea with this issue?

Thank you very much,
David.

RE: Wireless keyboard doesn't work with XBian - IriDium - 8th Aug, 2013 07:07 PM

Ok, lets get a couple of files, to see what might be happening.

Can you post the output from dmesg, xbmc.log and the output from lsusb -v

Details can be found in the read me first part of my signature.

Also, with XBMC running, can you do <cntl> <alt> <del>. If you get taken to the login screen, it means the transmitter and KB are working, it's just XBMC doesn't recognise it. This was a problem on some KB in Alpha but not in Beta.

RE: Wireless keyboard doesn't work with XBian - Hachecode - 8th Aug, 2013 07:45 PM

Thank you, IriDium!

IriDium Wrote:Can you post the output from dmesg, xbmc.log and the output from lsusb -v
Details can be found in the read me first part of my signature.
I understand, but... how can I get logs if my keyboard/touchpad doesn't work? I read How to get the log but I don't know how to do that without a keyboard and mouse (sorry if I'm wrong).

IriDium Wrote:Also, with XBMC running, can you do <cntl> <alt> <del>. If you get taken to the login screen, it means the transmitter and KB are working, it's just XBMC doesn't recognise it. This was a problem on some KB in Alpha but not in Beta.
<cntl> <alt> <del> command didn't work, as I can remember... I installed beta 1.1 version.

RE: Wireless keyboard doesn't work with XBian - IriDium - 8th Aug, 2013 08:23 PM

Ok, looks like there is a problem with 'lirc' loading on Beta 1.1 - this hopefully, is what is causing your issue.

I believe lirc was fixed in the latest upgrade.

You'll need to ssh into your RPi and in xbian-config.
Option 5 -> Update
Option 1
Option 2
Option 3 -> select all modules.
Return
Exit
#sudo reboot

This will upgrade the system to the latest Beta 1.1 and hopefully solve the problem.

RE: Wireless keyboard doesn't work with XBian - Hachecode - 8th Aug, 2013 09:00 PM

Thank you, IriDium!
I will try this when I arrive at home Smile

(8th Aug, 2013 08:23 PM)IriDium Wrote:  Ok, looks like there is a problem with 'lirc' loading on Beta 1.1 - this hopefully, is what is causing your issue.

I believe lirc was fixed in the latest upgrade.

You'll need to ssh into your RPi and in xbian-config.
Option 5 -> Update
Option 1
Option 2
Option 3 -> select all modules.
Return
Exit
#sudo reboot

This will upgrade the system to the latest Beta 1.1 and hopefully solve the problem.

RE: Wireless keyboard doesn't work with XBian - Hachecode - 14th Aug, 2013 03:54 AM

I have solved this issue Smile

After posting my problem, I found this post, and it gave me the clue.
Keyboard/Mouse not responding for Raspbmc and OpenELEC

My problem was the following:
Kano Kit power source is an UK plug. I'm from Spain, so I used an spanish-type plug adapter.
Kano Adapter Output: 5.25vdc / 1A
My recicled adapter Output: 5.0vdc / 500mA

I have found a new adapter with an output 5v / 1A, and now everything is OK.

My doubt is... why did it work with Raspbian, but not with Xbian/OpenELEC?

RE: Wireless keyboard doesn't work with XBian - IriDium - 14th Aug, 2013 04:09 AM

The RPi typically, on power up requires ~700ma which is why a 1 amp power supply is advised. My guess would be that there wasn't enough amperage to power the RPi and your wireless adapter. I'm surprised the RPi even powered up!

Why it worked on Raspbian, I have no idea, maybe the XBMC distro's require a little more power on startup, which could explain why it did work for a few seconds and then failed.

If you get the chance, can you send the output from dmesg via pastebin.com with the 500ma power supply. I'd like to see if there is anything in there to give a clue.

Glad you got it solved, even without our help. Thanks for the update.