Forum
Is this overkill? Sd w/ 95 mbs - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Is this overkill? Sd w/ 95 mbs (/thread-1215.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Is this overkill? Sd w/ 95 mbs - Liggerstuxin - 10th Aug, 2013 09:26 PM

(10th Aug, 2013 08:55 PM)IriDium Wrote:  It looks like the RPi MAXIMUM speed achieved from the SD card controller is 25MB/s but in reality only speeds of 22MB/s (due to overheads).

Dang... Man... I hope the next one increses it... I still hope since its such an overkill , that it'll last longer. Which makes me wonder, what is it that makes a class 10 last longer? Isn't it the speed? And if its, not touching the cards maximum speeds, wouldn't that last a while?

Re: Is this overkill? Sd w/ 95 mbs - f1vefour - 10th Aug, 2013 11:20 PM

I didn't mention all my SD cards are micro in an adapter, I have never had one go bad.

To anyone looking for a new card I suggest grabbing a SanDisk Class 4 micro SD with adapter and giving this a try as they are capable of 22MB/s speed which is about fast as it gets in the Pi.

RE: Is this overkill? Sd w/ 95 mbs - IriDium - 12th Aug, 2013 05:07 AM

(10th Aug, 2013 11:20 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  I didn't mention all my SD cards are micro in an adapter, I have never had one go bad.

To anyone looking for a new card I suggest grabbing a SanDisk Class 4 micro SD with adapter and giving this a try as they are capable of 22MB/s speed which is about fast as it gets in the Pi.

Actually all of mine are also micro SD's with an adapter (Which is interesting). I've never had a problem with the cards, the adapter yes, but not the cards. I use Kingston 2 & 8Gb and Verbatum 2Gb class (4) I also have a Verbatum 4Gb class 10 with no issues.

I still think the way to go is either a small USB flash or a HDD (via a powered Hub)

Reading the blurb, it would seem that the speed of the card is not so much the issue but the size of the card. By having more sectors to write to it has a greater area to choose from, and each sector is going to be hit less during it's "life".