Forum
hostapd + br0 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: hostapd + br0 (/thread-1229.html)

hostapd + br0 - networkpadawan - 13th Aug, 2013 11:23 PM

Hi all,
i used xbian when it was still in alpha, but have gone to the dark side (custom raspbian + xbmc package). Now maintaining is becoming too troublesome and Im now returning to the xbian scene. My questions is, does anyone know if I can use hostapd and a bridged interface with xbian? because i also use my rpi as an access point. thks

RE: hostapd + br0 - mk01 - 13th Aug, 2013 11:38 PM

(13th Aug, 2013 11:23 PM)networkpadawan Wrote:  troublesome and Im now returning to the xbian scene. My questions is, does anyone know if I can use hostapd and a bridged interface with xbian? because i also use my rpi as an access point. thks

there is no reason why you couldn't.

just install bridge-utils and hostapd. tun/tap modules are included in kernel package.

RE: hostapd + br0 - networkpadawan - 14th Aug, 2013 01:31 AM

(13th Aug, 2013 11:38 PM)mk01 Wrote:  
(13th Aug, 2013 11:23 PM)networkpadawan Wrote:  troublesome and Im now returning to the xbian scene. My questions is, does anyone know if I can use hostapd and a bridged interface with xbian? because i also use my rpi as an access point. thks

there is no reason why you couldn't.

just install bridge-utils and hostapd. tun/tap modules are included in kernel package.

thanks for the answer. wast just wondering because of the xbian mods on the xbmc interface to configure the network part of the OS.

will try it later and post the results

RE: hostapd + br0 - mk01 - 14th Aug, 2013 01:48 AM

(14th Aug, 2013 01:31 AM)networkpadawan Wrote:  thanks for the answer. wast just wondering because of the xbian mods on the xbmc interface to configure the network part of the OS.

for sure nobody tested main network interface as br device with xbian config tools (xbian-config-shell / xbmc), but I'm sure you would not be trying them Wink

still, it could work, in with br, eth0 is in manual mode I suppose and brX has some additional parameters (bridge_xxxxx). those is none xbian package touching and bridge_xxxx are ignored / not known.

but for sure, if you stay away from user gui tools (part networking), none xbian component will touch /etc/network/interfaces file !

RE: hostapd + br0 - networkpadawan - 14th Aug, 2013 02:11 AM

(14th Aug, 2013 01:48 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(14th Aug, 2013 01:31 AM)networkpadawan Wrote:  thanks for the answer. wast just wondering because of the xbian mods on the xbmc interface to configure the network part of the OS.

for sure nobody tested main network interface as br device with xbian config tools (xbian-config-shell / xbmc), but I'm sure you would not be trying them Wink

still, it could work, in with br, eth0 is in manual mode I suppose and brX has some additional parameters (bridge_xxxxx). those is none xbian package touching and bridge_xxxx are ignored / not known.

but for sure, if you stay away from user gui tools (part networking), none xbian component will touch /etc/network/interfaces file !
fantastic! that was also a fear of mine, that an upgrade might mess with my configTongue

RE: hostapd + br0 - networkpadawan - 14th Aug, 2013 08:05 PM

fyi everything worked as plan, but my rpi is crashing every 10 min...will open a new thread on bugs.