Forum
XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? (/thread-1239.html)

XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? - anthonyonions - 16th Aug, 2013 04:35 AM

Hi all, been having various issues with Xbian recently which have led to a number of reinstalls and restored images etc etc. But the main point I'm stuck on now is that one of my SD cards is saying that its write protected in XbianInstaller.

Windows can write to it fine, so can a camera. But the installer just wont.

Does anyone have an idea of why this is? Some *nix difference to Windows? And if so, what can I do to fix it?

Many thanks in advance.
Anthony

Re: XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? - f1vefour - 16th Aug, 2013 06:44 AM

Have you tried formatting the card?

RE: XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? - anthonyonions - 16th Aug, 2013 03:01 PM

Yup, formatting on the camera works and I'm sure Windows could run a format. I will reconfirm later on. Either way I know something formatted it, its selectable (from the installer gui) but just not writeable.

RE: XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? - IriDium - 16th Aug, 2013 09:05 PM

1) Are you using a SD card or a micros SD card and an adapter? I had this once before and it was the SD adapter that was at fault and not the card itself.
2) Have you tried in another USB adapter? It could be the USB adapter that is at fault.
3) Try Win32diskimager to write (and read) an image and also SD card formatter to format the SD card.
3) The standalone Xbian image can be found Here or alternatively, unpack the image found in the XbianInstaller folder.

RE: XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? - anthonyonions - 16th Aug, 2013 11:24 PM

Hi IriDium,

I'm using a full SD card, no adapter.
I haven't tried another adapter, I will try and run this through an inbuilt card reader on another PC.
I'll give Win32diskimager a try too, from both PCs if needs be. Pretty sure I picked up a copy of the SD Card Formatter but will need to check later.
I'm not sure what I'll find with the standalone image, but will take a look around.

Thanks
Ant

RE: XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? - anthonyonions - 17th Aug, 2013 04:04 AM

Ok trying from the Laptop, Win32diskimager and SD Card Formatter both definitely giving a write protection error when the card isn't write protected.

Will try the other bits when I can.

XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? - Slick180 - 17th Aug, 2013 05:12 AM

I had the same issues over the last couple of days finally got it sorted. I installed it using win32 imager and the ing file

RE: XbianInstaller shows SD Card write protected, but its not? - anthonyonions - 17th Aug, 2013 05:19 AM

if I need to install another SD card then I'll use Win32diskimager, but hopefully this install will hold steady!