Forum
Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread (/thread-1258.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

USB hd issue - Slick180 - 21st Aug, 2013 06:41 AM

Thanks will give it a go

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread - xbmcnut - 21st Aug, 2013 06:30 PM

Anyone have issues with upgrading all the packages?

Beta 1.1 keeps advising there are packages to update and I know XBMC update does not update them so yesterday and today I tried two different cards with upgrades via SSH. Under the upgrade options I followed options 1, 2 and 3 in order and 93 updates were available. After 20 mins they all upgraded but it advised to run apt-get autoremove (I think) to remove two packages.

On one I didn't do this and just ran 'sudo reboot' after exiting xbian-config but the GUI screen just stays stuck on 'rebooting' and XBMC never starts. On the 2nd card, I did run apt-get autoremove to remove the two packages but got the same thing; sticks on rebooting.

If I unplug the Pi and reconnect the power, XBMC starts fine. Subsequent attempts to reboot get stuck again. All goes very well with 1.1 prior to the updates but I was trying to get rid of the package update pop-up (which did not reappear after the updates) but now XBMC is unreliable.

Are there some packages that I maybe should not have upgraded? Xbian settings via the GUI advised around 19 programs required updating but via SSH, 93.

Any advice as to how I can make it boot reliably again would be appreciated.

XBian version: Beta 1.1
XBMC version: Frodo 12.2
Overclock settings: Default
Power supply rating: 1200mA
RPi model (B, 512mb):
SD card size and make/type: Verbatim 4GB Class 10
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): USB keyboard only

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread - IriDium - 22nd Aug, 2013 06:01 AM

@xbmcnut. If possible can you reflash your SD card with the latest Xbian Beta 1.1 image and try again. Do your updates via xbian-config in ssh NOT XBMC and post your results.

I had the same problem with EARLIER, not CURRENT images, and now - for me - the upgrade works well. I prefer the ssh xbian-config for reliability - but you could just apt-get clean, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade.

I'd also like to know if you ose xbianinstaller or Win32diskimage as I have found in the past that Win32.. sometimes works better than the Xbianinstaller - weird I know but...

Don't worry about the autoremove yet. Do that when the system is stable.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread - xbmcnut - 22nd Aug, 2013 10:45 AM

(22nd Aug, 2013 06:01 AM)IriDium Wrote:  @xbmcnut. If possible can you reflash your SD card with the latest Xbian Beta 1.1 image and try again. Do your updates via xbian-config in ssh NOT XBMC and post your results.

Thanks @IriDium

The Beta 1.1.7 updated (12 packages) without issue. Just had to fix Airplay and we're all up and running again. FYI, I always use Win32diskimager and have never had an issue.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread - Gnom - 16th Oct, 2013 10:22 PM

I've been happily using XBian since early 2013, but I never upgraded until now, meaning I'm running Alpha 4. I'd like to upgrade now but encounter some problems, although I'm not sure exactly what's happening. I tried both the procedure mentioned in the Alpha 5 release post (here) and the one mentioned in the Beta 1.1 release post (here, similar but stops xmbc before and adds some arguments to the actual update command).

In both cases it doesn't work. I suspect it has to do with this: when running "apt-get update" I get a lot of variations of the following warning "W: Failed to fetch http://xbianmirror.thuisserver.com/dists/wheezy/main/binary-armhf/Packages Something wicked happened resolving 'xbianmirror.thuisserver.com:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)" and the result is "W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

I suspected some things may have change since Alpha 4, domain names or what-have-yous, but since I have an image of my SD card up to date I proceeded with the "apt-get install xbian-update" (or its later variation) command, resulting in a "Segmentation fault" error right after the "Yes, do as I say!" part. I'm not exactly sure what to do from here, but a fresh install is definitely out of the question for the time being, so some leads would be greatly appreciated. I tried to give enough informations but stay succint in order to not overflow this thread, however the complete log is available in the following spoiler and I'll gladly answer every question that may help solve my issue!

PS: Sorry I didn't read the 14 pages, but I did research them with some keywords and didn't find an answer. Also, although I've been reading these forums from the start, I never needed to post since it always was enough to find answers. So, this being my first post, hi and thank you to the XBian team for their work Smile

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread - mk01 - 16th Oct, 2013 11:09 PM

@Gnom

just few facts to tell you to decide how to proceed because:
1) update packages prior Beta2 have been specifically designed to upgrade version in one step only. that means in your case update to Alpha5 would be needed, then to Beta1X.
2) I don't know i there is an easy way to get update package from Alpha4 to Alpha5
3) Beta2 would update your system as this one step requirement is more there, but the most work in the package was done working with Alpha5 base install. so even if Beta2 would not fail because of old system - this way wasn't tested at all and nobody can say what it does to your system (and I have never ever seen Alpha4 so I can't even speculate)
4) most of the errors you get is because the sources has been changed since so your sources.list is completely wrong now.
5) you don't need to go into details but just out of curiosity, why is reinstall not an option? If it is only because of XBMC settings / Libraries etc, this can be EASILY migrated to clean install. if are settings / programs are in question, this can be discussed if you are willing to.

@Gnom

I was just checking actual repo and indeed there is still xbian-update to Alpha5 available. Actual correct source.list look this post, point 9
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-1391-post-16498.html#pid16498 .

then pure theoretically the way for you would be
1) apt-get install xbian-update=1.0-0.5 (this step assumes that all packages required for Alpha5 are still there in their respective version - but if not, it won't install so nothing bad happens - always you can try first with "apt-get install -s xbian-update=1.0-0.5" first to "simulate" the process
2) apt-get install xbian-update=1.0-1.1 after

one notice though, Beta1.1 has bug not starting dbus + avahi-daemon under some conditions what will make your ZeroConf not working, but this can easily by patched manually according to this: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/464
it is only three posts to read.

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread - Gnom - 17th Oct, 2013 02:21 AM

Thank you very much for your detailed answer! I was thinking my setup couldn't find packages, thanks for comfirming and mostly for explaining how to update the sources! Also, than you for confirming that first upgrading to alpha 5 is required, I wasn't sure. Here it's already >1 am so I'll wait until tomorrow to test this but I'll report as soon as it's done.

As for why I don't want a fresh install, I installed a few other things, and actually even though I use XBian because the media center is my main use for my raspberry pi it's also a file and web server, as wel as a few other things. It all took some time to fine-tune it and although I could so it again it would take more time than I'm willing to invest right now! If I can't make this update work easily, a fresh install will have to wait a month or two...

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it went!

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread - Gnom - 17th Oct, 2013 01:46 PM

After fixing source.list I can run "apt-get update" without any problem or warning whatsoever. However, I do run into a problem when running apt-get install xbian-update=1.0-0.5, the log says:
"The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbian-update : Depends: xbian-package-xbmc (>= 2.0) but 1.4 is to be installed
Depends: xbian-package-kernel3.6.11 (>= 1.2) but it is not going to be installed"

I'm now trying a simple "apt-get install xbian-package-xbmc=2.0 xbian-package-kernel3.6.11=1.2", although I'm not sure it's the correct thing to do. I suspect there may be some conflicts, but reverting to a working version of my setup takes just 10 minutes since I have an image of my flashcard, so I'll take my chances... I'll let you know the outcome.

[UPDATE]
This install finished, I'm now running "apt-get install xbian-update=1.0-0.5" and it seems to go smoothly, although I wasn't prompted to answer "Yes, do as I say!" but just "Y/n"... Keeping my fingers crossed...

[UPDATE2]
Install finished, raspberry restarted, some problem seem to have occured. I did a quick check and everything seems to be running, except that when I logged as xbian user to see the xbian config screen, the menus were not labeled, I have something like that:. In itself it's not a big problem as I don't have much for this -- especially as I understand that everything can now be done through XBMC. I'll try my chances with a beta 1 upgrade and see what happens.

[UPDATE3]
Updated to Beta 1.1, everything seems to be working, be it XBian things or things I added. I have the new logo and XBMC 12.2, and the xbian config screen is back to normal. So far I only noticed I lost the CEC controls, but I'm pretty confident I can fix it. I'll do some more check but everything seems ok. I got the following message during install, but as far as I can tell it's related to keyboard issues, and since I don't remember ever plugging a keyboard in my pi I answered "Yes", guess it should be ok:

[LAST UPDATE]
Actually some things seem to be broken: some daemons randomly don't start at startup (including SSH, which I use on a daily basis to manage everything), can't properly shutdown (hangs on forever), and startup is really long. I'll revert to my working Alpha 4 setup and do a clean install when I have the time to do it properly. Thanks for your help anyway, it was greatly appreciated Smile

RE: Official XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1 thread - mk01 - 17th Oct, 2013 08:18 PM

(17th Oct, 2013 01:46 PM)Gnom Wrote:  Actually some things seem to be broken: some daemons randomly don't start at startup (including SSH, which I use on a daily basis to manage everything), can't properly shutdown (hangs on forever), and startup is really long. I'll revert to my working Alpha 4 setup and do a clean install when I have the time to do it properly. Thanks for your help anyway, it was greatly appreciated Smile

So far so good so I skipped and now this issues. I have such feeling that the wheezy 7.2 updates released two / three days ago (updating initscripts / rc-sysv / and others have put back some scripts Beta1X was disabling. The shutdown problem is caused by duplicated dbus script in sysv init.d directory. Beta1X update has just disabled it, but it should have been removed. After that even initscripts new package won't install it back.

Only during development of beta2 I found a final solution to it. I'm no quite happy about it as this will be mass issue reporting as I'm almost sure it is not you local problem.

If you already reverted then skip this, if not check that it was Beta1.1 installed (Beta1 had new replacement for dbus sysvinit script yet but Beta1.1 did) and them simply do "rm -fr /etc/init.d/dbus". This will solve the reboot issue.

This latest Debian update is reason more to release Beta2 as Beta1X is no longer updated and even there si no easy way to release a hotfix (as reaction to the latest system updates).

Dbus not starting and Avahi-Daemon is known issue as well, for this I sent you link for easy correction. But you would be first to report problem with SSH not starting.

But thanks for reports !