Forum
[SOLVED] Reliability - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Reliability (/thread-1259.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Reliability - rikardo1979 - 23rd Aug, 2013 06:44 PM

(23rd Aug, 2013 12:31 PM)Bryan Wrote:  Thanks, that is the issue, I can not access the logs from XMBC. When it fails, it typically locks solid, or when I press any of the main menus all I
get is a blank screen. I have just installed the XBMX Log uploader, enabled debugging but it does nothing. Entering my e-mail address in the logupdater configuration setting and I receive nothing via-mail. Isn't that what it is supposed to do?

I can intermittenly log in SSH but wanted to know where the log files are?

In any event here is my system, but don't see what help it is going to be

Software
XBian version: 1.0 Beta 1.1
XBMC version: 12.2. Git 20130502 32b1a5e
Overclock settings: None

Hardware
Power supply rating: 1amp
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): 512mb
SD card size and make/type: Duracell SD10 16GB (Chkdsk reports no errors)
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.): TV via HDMI

Logile
Link to logfile(s):

Problem description:

Screen will lock, or menus will not respond only returning a black screen. Rebooting or powering off and it will fail to load and requires a complete
reinstall. Nothing on the TV screen at all, other than "No signal". Appears not even attempting to boot.

Ability to SSH is intermittent, sometimes it allows, sometime it does not. Usually when I can not log in via SSH it is close to crashing again.

Often when trying to power off XMBC the power icon does not work. Can only remove the power physically which almost guarantees a corrupt disk.

How to reproduce:

Easy, let it run for a couple hours/overnight.

This thing is so frustrating, just spent an hour installing customizing my settings, and configuring and then again , power icon will not respond and I can no longer access via SSH. Power off the raspberry by pulling the plug and it is dead, will not even begin to reboot. Can't even send the log files as there is nothing that I can access off the SD card within windows.

Im sorry m8 that you having such a hard time and this issues and also I'm sorry that we didnt get you obvious answer for your simple question where is the log file located!
you can find the file under
.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
So if you can still SSH you may get it that way or if no than by accessing the file from PC after you plug the card in (keep in mind that this is not accessible from under Win OS so you would need any Linux machine, or you may just use any Linux Live boot CD/DVD/USB such Ubuntu etc)
Also do not forget to turn ON debugging in XBMC/System settings!
So hope this is what you was asking for at first and hope you would manage to get the log so may have a look and hope we would be able to help
-thx-
Cool

RE: Reliability - Bryan - 24th Aug, 2013 04:23 AM

I am leaning to hardware issues. I did scan the sd card with a freeware scanner and it reported no issues (H2testW). Will measure the voltage on the pi. There is 2 test points to do so. Will set up a dedicated power supply to it and see if that helps. Have a nice tektronix bench power supply I can use.

As a note I tried installing Raspxbc twice and it never even finished the installation, so it's either power supply, SD card or the PI itself. Is there any diagnostic software available for the Pi to check it's memory and hardware?

Hoping it's just the SD card.

As for the logs, yes debugging is On and I did note on the debug message the path for the logs <g>

Out of curiousity can the onscreen debug message be turned off while it is still recording data.

RE: Reliability - rikardo1979 - 24th Aug, 2013 05:46 AM

I thing that debug stays on screen all the time when its ON, ad please try to get the log file out when your issue occur again
-thx-

RE: Reliability - Bryan - 24th Aug, 2013 12:01 PM

Well looks like problem solved, SD card. Picked up another one and it installed fine and so far no issues. I do note some weird behaviour or non-responsiveness with the remote that . From this forum thread this could be because the power supply is not up to par. So will replace that soon.

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=3918

Re: RE: Reliability - f1vefour - 24th Aug, 2013 01:33 PM

(24th Aug, 2013 12:01 PM)Bryan Wrote:  Well looks like problem solved, SD card. Picked up another one and it installed fine and so far no issues. I do note some weird behaviour or non-responsiveness with the remote that . From this forum thread this could be because the power supply is not up to par. So will replace that soon.

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=3918

When your remote acts up again post the results of the 'dmesg' command to a new thread. I think there may be an issue with the lirc kernel module.

Also could you mark the title of your thread solved please :-)