Forum
Update packages not working? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Update packages not working? (/thread-1269.html)

Pages: 1 2

Update packages not working? - Skywatch - 25th Aug, 2013 10:47 PM

HI,

From within XBMC System I select the 'Xbian' option and then go into the update > packages and select 'update all' at the bottom of the list. There is some activity on the network led on the pi and then the menu on the screen clears all the packages and simply says 'up-to-date'.

But if I exit the Xbian menu and go back in again all the packages are showing as being ready for update again. A reboot doesn't seem to help.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Skywatch.

Update packages not working? - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 10:53 PM

and packages are updated?

RE: Update packages not working? - IriDium - 25th Aug, 2013 10:59 PM

See https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/441

RE: Update packages not working? - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 11:39 PM

I'm aware of it, but this question is not answered even there. I'm just asking whether packages gets updated and just some internal status does not reflect this or packages are really not updated.

RE: Update packages not working? - IriDium - 25th Aug, 2013 11:51 PM

The packages are NOT updated. To update them you have to do it manually or via ssh xbian-config

I've also noticed that in ssh xbian-config that an updates shows xbian.brantje.com as the mirror! Is that correct?

RE: Update packages not working? - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 01:24 AM

IriDium, package installation is affected the same way ?

RE: Update packages not working? - IriDium - 26th Aug, 2013 01:38 AM

(26th Aug, 2013 01:24 AM)mk01 Wrote:  IriDium, package installation is affected the same way ?

I don't know - nothing was in xbmc.log nor dmesg.

RE: Update packages not working? - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 04:23 AM

solved in xbian-package-config-shell 2.1.4-9

RE: Update packages not working? - Skywatch - 26th Aug, 2013 04:43 AM

Hi,

Thanks for all the input to this.

I updated manually via ssh (all selected except the two vim options). Update took about 1Hr25Min. Rebooted.

It's been at 'init process' now for about half an hour.... is this normal?

Thanks

Skywatch

RE: Update packages not working? - IriDium - 26th Aug, 2013 04:50 AM

Something is wrong - my update took less than 2 minutes.

Are you on Beta 1.1?

Did you do apt-get or via ssh xbian-config.

Can you check the update log.... do you see a xbian.brantje.com?

This seems to have been a recent addition and I'm sure it's not right!!!

RE: Update packages not working? - Skywatch - 26th Aug, 2013 05:00 AM

(26th Aug, 2013 04:50 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Something is wrong - my update took less than 2 minutes.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to check!

(26th Aug, 2013 04:50 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Are you on Beta 1.1?

Yes. All details in my profile.

(26th Aug, 2013 04:50 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Did you do apt-get or via ssh xbian-config.

ssh xbian-config (though it was a 'messy' menu with 'x' and 'q' symbols around the edge of the window). Does that help?

(26th Aug, 2013 04:50 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Can you check the update log.... do you see a xbian.brantje.com?

After over 2 hours I gave up and am reflashing 1B1.1 again so can't check the log. Sorry.

Skywatch

RE: Update packages not working? - IriDium - 26th Aug, 2013 05:16 AM

That's strange.

I've noticed when updating a new install vi ssh xbian-config - than when I do a update, I notice that xbian.brantje is the default xbian mirror.

This is something *new* to me. I've done enough upgrades to know when something is different.

The "q" and "x" are due to "something" - I used to get the same running "nmon" on Windoze, but it then went away - no idea why.

Can we keep this issue to the packages and not other issues - start a new thread for them - tnx.

RE: Update packages not working? - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 06:02 AM

(26th Aug, 2013 04:43 AM)Skywatch Wrote:  I updated manually via ssh (all selected except the two vim options). Update took about 1Hr25Min. Rebooted.

Skywatch, did you take care that even if xbian-update wasn't recognized as package to update, you followed the red text in beta2 forum - which is saying that there is no versioning for it (1.0-1.2 always) so apt-get clean; apt-get update ; apt-get install --reinstall xbian-update is needed?

it looks like not whole chain of packages got updated. just ctrl+alt+del, it should start and reinstall xbian-update.

(26th Aug, 2013 05:16 AM)IriDium Wrote:  Can we keep this issue to the packages and not other issues - start a new thread for them - tnx.

for official repo the address is updated dynamically from a mirror list. so if someone changed to brantje, it is going to be brantje. xbian-config updated is updating the mirror list as well.

btw: I just hope nobody is mixing official repo and beta2 repo in sources.list ?

RE: Update packages not working? - IriDium - 26th Aug, 2013 06:21 AM

I too especially would like to know if there are two different repos in existent. brantje and Beta 1.2 because it makes testing a mockery. How the F*** can I test when not only the goal posts move but the f**** pitch also.

Sort it out - till then don"t ask me for support.

RE: Update packages not working? - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 06:50 AM

.deb packages will be downloaded only and only from sources specified in /etc/apt/sources.list …
for testing beta2 it should look like:

Code:
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rip
deb http://ivka57.dyndns-ip.com wheezy main