Forum
Airplay wont work... - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Airplay wont work... (/thread-1270.html)

Airplay wont work... - rbthompsonv - 26th Aug, 2013 04:11 AM

I can not, for the life of me, get Airplay to work from my mac to my RPi... Used to use RaspBMC and it worked fine... Weird part is... It seems that while I have my Avahi-Daemon and my Dbus both set to AUTOSTART, they do not... I go into Settings: Xbian: And both show as Autostart being ticked on, but both services show status as Stopped.

(Ive read that they both need to be started at boot for the airplay to work, that starting them after the system loads wont help... and proof in concept shows that: ie, i can start the after boot.. but no Joy)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Airplay wont work... - IriDium - 26th Aug, 2013 04:45 AM

I can only guess that you are on Beta 1.1 as you haven't posted the information requested in "Please read before you post" - details required - see my signature for details.

dbus - is a known issue. ssh into you RPi and "sudo start dbus".

I've no idea about avahi but I guess it is the same.

So try starting avahi (not too sure how in ssh)

If in doubt, they can all be started via ssh xbian-config -> 3 Start stop or via XBMC xbian-config

RE: Airplay wont work... - rbthompsonv - 26th Aug, 2013 05:15 AM

(26th Aug, 2013 04:45 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I can only guess that you are on Beta 1.1 as you haven't posted the information requested in "Please read before you post" - details required - see my signature for details.

If in doubt, they can all be started via ssh xbian-config -> 3 Start stop or via XBMC xbian-config

Sorry.. didnt see too many other people posting in the required format, thought i was special like everyone else and could get away with it...
Software
XBian version: 1.1
XBMC version: frodo
Overclock settings:xbian

Hardware
Power supply rating: 5v
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): B/512
SD card size and make/type: Sandisk 8gb class 6 (but run from USB)
Network (wireless or LAN): Both (Wireless is flakey, so i tend to run wired)
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.):

ANYWAY... As I stated, I can start the services just fine... but that doesnt really help me since, from what I can gather, Avahi needs to be running pre-gui for airplay to be detected. So, starting the services after it's booted doesnt not result in a helpful situation.
And, like I said.. I am able to START the services from GUI xbian... i have tried the xbian-config through ssh...

(26th Aug, 2013 04:45 AM)IriDium Wrote:  I can only guess that you are on Beta 1.1 as you haven't posted the information requested in "Please read before you post" - details required - see my signature for details.

Sorry.. didnt see too many other people posting in the required format, thought i was special like everyone else and could get away with it...
Software
XBian version: 1.1
XBMC version: frodo
Overclock settings:xbian

Hardware
Power supply rating: 5v
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): B/512
SD card size and make/type: Sandisk 8gb class 6 (but run from USB)
Network (wireless or LAN): Both (Wireless is flakey, so i tend to run wired)
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.):

ANYWAY... As I stated, I can start the services just fine... but that doesnt really help me since, from what I can gather, Avahi needs to be running pre-gui for airplay to be detected. So, starting the services after it's booted doesnt not result in a helpful situation.
And, like I said.. I am able to START the services from GUI xbian... i have tried the xbian-config through ssh...

RE: Airplay wont work... - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 05:54 AM

@rbthompsonv

edit /etc/init/dbus.conf so that start on will be:
Code:
start on startup

edit /etc/init/avahi-daemon.conf so that start on will be:
Code:
start on started dbus

remove file /etc/init/dbus-reconnect.conf

reboot

RE: Airplay wont work... - IriDium - 26th Aug, 2013 06:08 AM

Tis true

It is however, a required - it MAY not be required but certainly assists in trying to "solve" a problem.

To give an example - a user had a problem with reliability, it was only with this information that we could deduce the problem. Just because YOU don't think it is an issue - we do. We only ask for this information for a reason.

RE: Airplay wont work... - mk01 - 26th Aug, 2013 06:19 AM

(26th Aug, 2013 05:15 AM)rbthompsonv Wrote:  Both (Wireless is flakey, so i tend to run wired)

@rbthompsonv
a little off topic, but. what stick you have?

can you retest the wifi but with ifplugd service stopped completely (from ssh just run "service ifplugd stop")?

and just report whether it has effect on wifi 'flakiness' for you. for instance with my old ASUS rtl2800 usb, i can't get DHCP IP at all, if ifplugd is active for wlan0 interface.

RE: Airplay wont work... - rbthompsonv - 26th Aug, 2013 08:14 AM

(26th Aug, 2013 05:54 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @rbthompsonv

Code:
start on startup

Code:
start on started dbus

reboot

Well.. that got Airplay to show in my MAC... and it seems to WANT to stream sound... but just shows streaming 0:01... and doesnt play... Smile PROGRESS!!!

(26th Aug, 2013 06:19 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(26th Aug, 2013 05:15 AM)rbthompsonv Wrote:  Both (Wireless is flakey, so i tend to run wired)

@rbthompsonv

can you retest the wifi but with ifplugd service stopped completely (from ssh just run "service ifplugd stop")?

and just report whether it has effect on wifi 'flakiness' for you. for instance with my old ASUS rtl2800 usb, i can't get DHCP IP at all, if ifplugd is active for wlan0 interface.

Wifi is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300937347507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

(Sorry for the direct link to ebay... but I dont know the exact model... just happened to be the cheapest N that was linux and mac compatible out of the box...)

As for ifplugd... i get bash: service: command not found from ssh

Will try from gui and report back

(26th Aug, 2013 08:14 AM)rbthompsonv Wrote:  
(26th Aug, 2013 05:54 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @rbthompsonv

Code:
start on startup

Code:
start on started dbus

reboot

Well.. that got Airplay to show in my MAC... and it seems to WANT to stream sound... but just shows streaming 0:01... and doesnt play... Smile PROGRESS!!!

(26th Aug, 2013 06:19 AM)mk01 Wrote:  

@rbthompsonv

Wifi is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300937347507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

(Sorry for the direct link to ebay... but I dont know the exact model... just happened to be the cheapest N that was linux and mac compatible out of the box...)

As for ifplugd... i get bash: service: command not found from ssh

Will try from gui and report back

As for disabling ifplugd ... nope, doesnt seem to help... I sort of think it may be my shitty router from comcast... I think it cant handle the traffic and causes "Buffering" issues. (Ill play a video, sometimes it plays fine for a day, other times it has to buffer every 2 minutes... about 1 in 10 buffering attempts just fail (never shows buffering at the top, and it just locks up the RPi... Either dropping out to XMBC menu or rebooting)

Airplay wont work... - marxkemp - 27th Aug, 2013 03:16 AM

This worked for me
http://pinkjudy147.blogspot.nl/2013/07/how-to-fix-airplay-on-xbian-beta-11.html?m=1

RE: Airplay wont work... - salar521 - 15th Apr, 2014 02:46 PM

If you buy a Panasonic Viera TV and then download the remote app, you can AirPlay Music, Home made Videos, Photos ect.