Forum
[PROBLEM] External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO (/thread-1276.html)

External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - towdie - 28th Aug, 2013 01:03 AM

Hello,

I have problem with my external drive(Western Digital).

EDIT: Sorry Here is missing Info:

Software
XBian version:1.0Beta1.1
XBMC version:XBMC 12.2 Git:20130502-32b1a5e
Overclock settings: Xbian

Hardware
Power supply rating: 5V/1500mA
RPi model (model A/B 256mb/512mb): model B 512MB
SD card size and make/type: 8GB SanDisk Ultra SDHC Class10
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN(connected to TP-Link WR-1043ND)
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.):
TV(Panasonic Viera TX-L32C10E) via HDMI,
HDD Western Digital Scorpi Black 500GB

Logile
Link to logfile(s):http://pastebin.com/kYxLU2Wx from dmesg | tail

Problem description:
HD is periodicaly unmounted and mounted for next available possition(from /dev/sda -> /dev/sdb ...) but only as ReadOnly.
When this happend I need to run mount -a to mount it back as RW.
The HD is formated to EXT3 and added in /etc/fstab for automatic mounting at boot.

How to reproduce:

Thank you

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - rikardo1979 - 28th Aug, 2013 01:37 AM

what is your XBian and XBMC version? where to find this? follow my signature links or Forum rules thread. not asking cos I have a right but cos it may help to help you Wink
(adding this info as so many people thing we have nothing to do just asking for extra info and asking to following the rules for no reason, but honest, its here to help you Wink )
-thx-
Cool

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - mk01 - 28th Aug, 2013 02:50 AM

(28th Aug, 2013 01:03 AM)towdie Wrote:  HD is periodicaly unmounted and mounted for next available possition(from /dev/sda -> /dev/sdb ...) but only as ReadOnly.
When this happend I need to run mount -a to mount it back as RW.
The HD is formated to EXT3 and added in /etc/fstab for automatic mounting at boot.

nemas dobre napajanie alebo odchadza disk alebo je zly kabel. linux standardne pri zistenej chybe premontuje fs do RO modu, aby predisiel pripadnemu kaskadovemu zlyhaniu celej struktury.

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - towdie - 28th Aug, 2013 02:59 AM

Aha, to ma nenapadlo, doteraz bol ten disk pouzivany na Windowse a ten nezahlasil ani raz chybu. Skusim teda zohnat silnejsi(pripadne lepsi zdroj), pripadne da sa nejak skonrolovat disk aby som vedel vylucit chybu na nom?

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - mk01 - 28th Aug, 2013 03:07 AM

You should be talking English as we are on international forum, Towdie!

Of course you can test it even on the windows. If it is not erratic there, HDD will be fine, just RPI does not have enough power to spare for other devices. It was stated many times, one should not attach ANY usb device directly to it's USB ports - to be on the safe side.

But this really looks like lack of power at some moments, where HDD disconnects from the bus, kernel catches those events, for safety tries to remount as RO and because it is still trying to connect, this slot (sda) stays internally busy, so when then HDD reconnects, it gets next free block device (sdb).

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - towdie - 28th Aug, 2013 03:20 AM

Sorry (but you started to write in slovak. Smile )
Anyway, I will try to power that HDD with another charger(2,1A or 2,5A).
Now it is connected to RPi via USB cable with additional connector for power. So Data connector is connected to RPi and power connector to 1,5A USB charger.
Thank you.

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - rikardo1979 - 28th Aug, 2013 06:34 AM

nice to see more home m8's here Big Grin
I think there might be an HW issue as mk01 mentioned, so means the issue with powering. And I dont mean that it is just unsufficient but I mean that if I understood it right you have two PSUs, one feeding the USB device and other feeds the RPi. So as you are electrically connecting these two together through the USB device (PSU<>HDD<>RPi<>PSU) so actually this may cause the issue. I have personal experience as I was testing and USB drive with external PSU and when I connected this into my RPi with own PSU this failed to start until I have unplugged one of the PSU's either RPi or DVD one Wink
Think about it and give it a shot

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - IriDium - 29th Aug, 2013 04:22 AM

As you are on Beta 1.1 I would check for the dbus issue.

Also, do you need the disk mounted prior to XBMC being started. What could be happening is that fstab is mounting the disk but when XBMC starts, it recognises the USB drive and try's to mount it again.

Try removing the entry from fstab and see if the problem still exists.

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - towdie - 29th Aug, 2013 05:30 AM

OK, but when I remove that record from fstab, I need to mount the disk manualy after every system restart. As I tried now, the disk is not mounted after restart so files on disc are not accessible anymore until I mount it manualy.
Am I doing something wrong?

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - IriDium - 29th Aug, 2013 05:44 AM

This - I think is the known dbus issue. Keep the disks out of fstab, Restart dbus with sudo start dbus, then sudo stop xbmc and then sudo start xbmc.

Hopefully that will solve the problem - for once!!!

It will occur again, after a reboot - we are working on a fix!!

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - towdie - 29th Aug, 2013 05:58 AM

Ok I removed record from fstab and then I restarted Raspberry.
Then I run commands from your posts:
sudo start dbus
sudo stop xbmc
sudo start xbmc
but disk is still not mounted(or I can't see it mounted) and I need to mount it manualy. So this is known bug? And it is some solution for this except moving to older version?

RE: External HDD periodicaly disconnected and reconnected as RO - mk01 - 29th Aug, 2013 09:12 AM

(29th Aug, 2013 05:58 AM)towdie Wrote:  Ok I removed record from fstab and then I restarted Raspberry.
Then I run commands from your posts:
sudo start dbus
sudo stop xbmc
sudo start xbmc
but disk is still not mounted(or I can't see it mounted) and I need to mount it manualy. So this is known bug? And it is some solution for this except moving to older version?

if you don't "tick" RPI about new disk (re-plugging), it will never reappear. Why it should.